All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #1  
Old 05-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Rafe's Avatar
Rafe Rafe is offline
Founder / Chief
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sussex
Posts: 6,084
Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia reveals more details about the N-Gage

Nokia today revealed more details about the N-Gage its Series 60 based wireless mobile gaming console. The phone supports GRPS, and tri-band GSM making it a world phone. MP3 Playback and an FM Radio are also built into the device. Support for wireless gaming it through internet connectivity and bluetooth. Story updated with specs, and images.

As a Series 60 phone the N-Gage will have a full complement of applications and will be able to use the existing Series 60 applications.

Games are set to be sold seperately to the device on MMC cards. This indicates an MMC slot will be built into the phone, much like the 3650. Games will be sold via various channels including taditional game retailers and mobe phone shops.

The device is due to launch in the forth quarter of this year worldwide in time for Christmas.

Nokia have launched a website devoted to the N-Gage which can be found here: http://www.N-Gage.com/





Updated:
Thanks to lagonda for this.
More details are now available on the Nokia website.

http://press.nokia.com/PR/200302/890630_5.html

This is the text of the Nokia Press Release:

Nokia N-Gage (TM) mobile game deck - the revolutionary gaming experience
February 05, 2003

Major global games publishers excited to publish on wireless multiplayer platform

Nokia today showcased its new mobile games, the Nokia N-Gage (TM) game deck, at "Get Ready to N-Gage" events in London, UK and Sydney, Australia. The Nokia N-Gage game deck enables an enriched interactive gaming experience by introducing an innovative wireless multiplayer platform for both local and remote gaming. The Nokia N-Gage game deck allows users to play the latest high quality titles in a new way - multiplayer games connected locally via Bluetooth wireless technology or over-the-air games over mobile networks. Enabling new business models, the Nokia N-Gage is a unique platform that also provides opportunities for game developers and publishers, network operators and other service providers to generate new revenue streams and develop new games and service concepts.

"The Nokia N-Gage brings the start of a whole new gaming experience to the market, with an ergonomic design optimized for playing games. Nokia is working with world-renowned game publishers, including Activision, Eidos, Sega, Taito and THQ, and developers to provide an appealing and balanced catalogue of high quality games to the marketplace. Titles will include both the latest blockbuster games and a variety of titles across game genres," said Anssi Vanjoki, Executive Vice President, Nokia Mobile Phones. "The game experience can further be enhanced when network operators and service providers enter the value chain by providing game related mobile services such as downloadable game levels, additional features and game characters or even running online multiplayer games and communities. With these building blocks in place, the Nokia N-Gage platform will help to unleash the creative and innovative spirit of the games industry."

The high performance games for Nokia N-Gage game deck are sold separately on game cards (using the MultiMediaCard standard). Game card distribution enables a new kind of mobile gameplay experience with richer graphics, enhanced sound and more extensive game worlds in which to play. Nokia will also act as a game publisher to create branded N-Gage game titles and develop an evolving games portfolio.

Nokia N-Gage game deck devices and game titles will be available in major retail outlets, game-specific and video game retail outlets, as well as in regular mobile phone delivery channels in all major markets.

Nokia welcomes the games industry to publish and develop innovative new concepts for the Nokia N-Gage game deck. Game developers interested in learning more about the Nokia N-Gage game deck, including submitting information about applications for the Nokia N-Gage and other Nokia devices and platforms, can find more information at www.forum.nokia.com/games.

Besides gaming, the Nokia N-Gage mobile game deck also features a digital music player (MP3/AAC) and stereo FM radio, as well as a tri-band GSM 900/1800/1900 mobile phone. The Nokia N-Gage game deck is planned to be available in volumes across five continents in the 4th quarter 2003 well in time for the holiday shopping season.

Features:
- Large color screen with backlight, 176x208 pixels with up to 4096 colours
- Series 60 platform and Symbian Operating System (OS)
- Bluetooth wireless technology for gaming
- An eight-way directional controller "Rocker" for game play
- Multimedia messaging (MMS)
- Triple band GSM (900/1800/1900), GPRS mobile phone
- Digital Music player (AAC/MP3) & Stereo FM radio
- Nokia Audio Manager PC SW for managing own music files
- Comprehensive range of applications; e-mail and personal information management
- XHTML browsing
- Java (TM)application support
- Connectivity:
calendar synchronization with PC, USB for music file and application download

Usage times:
- Games up to 3 - 6 h (depending on game type)
- Talk up to 2 - 4 h
- Standby up to 150- 200 h
- Music up to 8 h
- Radio up to 20 h

Size:

- Volume 139cc
- Dimensions (L x W x D) 133,7 x 69,7 x 20,2 mm
- Weight 137g

About N-Gage:
Please visit www.n-gage.com for the Nokia N-Gage game deck logo, photos and on-demand event webcast

-------

They have also got several announcement from games developers.

Check the links on the Nokia press release page

Further detailed specification are available here on the N-Gage site. Importantly for power users the amount on phone memory stays at 4MB. The phone will come with a 64 MB MMC card. Also the phone will come with a USB cable, presuambly for PC connectivity. It looks set to be the most powerful Series device yet.
__________________
Remember: The search command is your friend.
Feedback wanted: PM, email or post with your suggestions, complaints, feedback.

  #2  
Old 05-02-2003, 06:21 PM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
so that would be virtually no new details and more interestingly no new images beyond the single (blatantly photo-shopped effort) from last year. Am I also alone in thinking that they are going to have some serious issues with getting operators to adopt a product for which the main distribution method is MMC cards - which will do zero for the all-important data revenus and ARPU........

  #3  
Old 05-02-2003, 06:28 PM
PMidway PMidway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 69
PMidway is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
so that would be virtually no new details and more interestingly no new images beyond the single (blatantly photo-shopped effort) from last year. Am I also alone in thinking that they are going to have some serious issues with getting operators to adopt a product for which the main distribution method is MMC cards - which will do zero for the all-important data revenus and ARPU........
Quote:
When asked about how carriers will react to the MMC aspect of content distribution, panelists talked about carriers selling the cards in their retail shops, and also about how Nokia will be supporting carriers in running N-Gage services. So the big game assets could be distributed on the cards, but details or upgrades etc could be delivered over the network. This paints a more cooperative picture with the carriers... and apparently carrier lineup will be announced tonight.
and didnt the main event start 18:00 London time? ie 25 minutes ago. Maybe pictures come little later....those first comments are from the earlier press meeting today.

  #4  
Old 05-02-2003, 06:30 PM
langdona langdona is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bristol
Posts: 884
langdona is on a distinguished road
More details are now available on the Nokia website.

http://press.nokia.com/PR/200302/890630_5.html

But here's what it says

Quote:
Nokia N-Gage (TM) mobile game deck - the revolutionary gaming experience
February 05, 2003

Major global games publishers excited to publish on wireless multiplayer platform


Nokia today showcased its new mobile games, the Nokia N-Gage (TM) game deck, at "Get Ready to N-Gage" events in London, UK and Sydney, Australia. The Nokia N-Gage game deck enables an enriched interactive gaming experience by introducing an innovative wireless multiplayer platform for both local and remote gaming. The Nokia N-Gage game deck allows users to play the latest high quality titles in a new way - multiplayer games connected locally via Bluetooth wireless technology or over-the-air games over mobile networks. Enabling new business models, the Nokia N-Gage is a unique platform that also provides opportunities for game developers and publishers, network operators and other service providers to generate new revenue streams and develop new games and service concepts.

"The Nokia N-Gage brings the start of a whole new gaming experience to the market, with an ergonomic design optimized for playing games. Nokia is working with world-renowned game publishers, including Activision, Eidos, Sega, Taito and THQ, and developers to provide an appealing and balanced catalogue of high quality games to the marketplace. Titles will include both the latest blockbuster games and a variety of titles across game genres," said Anssi Vanjoki, Executive Vice President, Nokia Mobile Phones. "The game experience can further be enhanced when network operators and service providers enter the value chain by providing game related mobile services such as downloadable game levels, additional features and game characters or even running online multiplayer games and communities. With these building blocks in place, the Nokia N-Gage platform will help to unleash the creative and innovative spirit of the games industry."

The high performance games for Nokia N-Gage game deck are sold separately on game cards (using the MultiMediaCard standard). Game card distribution enables a new kind of mobile gameplay experience with richer graphics, enhanced sound and more extensive game worlds in which to play. Nokia will also act as a game publisher to create branded N-Gage game titles and develop an evolving games portfolio.

Nokia N-Gage game deck devices and game titles will be available in major retail outlets, game-specific and video game retail outlets, as well as in regular mobile phone delivery channels in all major markets.

Nokia welcomes the games industry to publish and develop innovative new concepts for the Nokia N-Gage game deck. Game developers interested in learning more about the Nokia N-Gage game deck, including submitting information about applications for the Nokia N-Gage and other Nokia devices and platforms, can find more information at www.forum.nokia.com/games.

Besides gaming, the Nokia N-Gage mobile game deck also features a digital music player (MP3/AAC) and stereo FM radio, as well as a tri-band GSM 900/1800/1900 mobile phone. The Nokia N-Gage game deck is planned to be available in volumes across five continents in the 4th quarter 2003 well in time for the holiday shopping season.

Features:
- Large color screen with backlight, 176x208 pixels with up to 4096 colours
- Series 60 platform and Symbian Operating System (OS)
- Bluetooth wireless technology for gaming
- An eight-way directional controller "Rocker" for game play
- Multimedia messaging (MMS)
- Triple band GSM (900/1800/1900), GPRS mobile phone
- Digital Music player (AAC/MP3) & Stereo FM radio
- Nokia Audio Manager PC SW for managing own music files
- Comprehensive range of applications; e-mail and personal information management
- XHTML browsing
- Java (TM)application support
- Connectivity:
calendar synchronization with PC, USB for music file and application download

Usage times:
- Games up to 3 - 6 h (depending on game type)
- Talk up to 2 - 4 h
- Standby up to 150- 200 h
- Music up to 8 h
- Radio up to 20 h

Size:

- Volume 139cc
- Dimensions (L x W x D) 133,7 x 69,7 x 20,2 mm
- Weight 137g



About N-Gage:
Please visit www.n-gage.com for the Nokia N-Gage game deck logo, photos and on-demand event webcast
Note the site www.n-gage.com did not seem to be working at the time of posting. So no new pictures yet.

They have also got several announcement from games developers.

Check the links on the Nokia press release page
Ads

  #5  
Old 05-02-2003, 06:46 PM
PMidway PMidway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 69
PMidway is on a distinguished road
Activision set to develop titles for Nokia N-Gage(TM)mobile game deck
Nokia and Eidos Interactive collaborate to create the next dimension in mobile gaming
Nokia and T-Mobile Announce Partnership On Mobile Services For N-Gage

THQ Wireless launches games on new Nokia N-Gage mobile game deck
Quote:
5th February 2003: THQ Wireless, a subsidiary of leading videogame publisher THQ ® Inc. (NASDAQ THQI), today announced that it work with Nokia to provide games for the new N-Gage(TM) mobile game deck. Under the terms of the agreement, three of THQ Wireless' leading games titles - MotoGP(TM), MLBPA Players Choice Baseball (working title) and Red Faction® will be available when the N-Gage starts shipping.

The games, which will be available on memory cards, include such additional features as near distance multiplayer gaming over Bluetooth as well as downloadable and uploadable mobile elements.
Taito brings rich game content for Nokia N-Gage(TM) mobile game deck
Quote:
Titles to include classics such as "Space Invaders" and "Puzzle Bobbles"

Taito Corporation announced today that it will provide fascinating rich game content for the Nokia N-Gage(TM) mobile game deck. Taking advantage of the exceptional features of the N-Gage, the first Taito titles will include Puzzle Bobble VS, a fighting action multiplayer puzzle game, and Taito Memories, the four most popular Taito game titles in one package.

"Taito feels absolutely confident that the Nokia N-Gage will lead the mobile terminal market with the creation of a new game platform," said Yasuo Nishigaki, President, Taito Corporation. "In the future, Taito will certainly put more efforts and resources to cooperate with Nokia to promote the N-Gage and we will expand our mobile game content offering."
wow, cant wait for the Sega games and screenshots.

  #6  
Old 05-02-2003, 07:02 PM
langdona langdona is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bristol
Posts: 884
langdona is on a distinguished road
www.n-gage.com is now up and running and a nice looking site it is too.

Some of the games listed.

Tomb Raider
Sega Rally
Sonic

The thing is will these games run on other series 60 devices?

  #7  
Old 05-02-2003, 07:22 PM
RoYaL21's Avatar
RoYaL21 RoYaL21 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 278
RoYaL21 is on a distinguished road
I think it actualy looks nice, but i don't want it. I'm going for the 3650.
__________________
/\/\/ N-Gaged /\/\/
Nokia 7610 All The Way!

  #8  
Old 05-02-2003, 07:29 PM
TANKERx's Avatar
TANKERx TANKERx is offline
Prodigal Symbiant
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Posts: 1,337
TANKERx is on a distinguished road
I never seen Symbian look so sexy.....

I'm looking at the specs, the power, the style..... And I glance at my 7650, then my 9210, then my Series5mx and then my Series5 and a tear comes to my eye as I think "you've come a long way".

Where Commodore went wrong with the Amiga is that they had a great machine which they didn't develop, but here we see Nokia pushing the boat out to ever greater depths.

I just hope Nokia will be able to afford the loss this device will have to make during initial take-up in order to get the numbers out there......

Now come on you other licencees! The P800 rocks! Let's have more! More! More!

My (minor) concerns are:
Only 4Mb internal storage and only one card slot?
How much execution memory is there?

A big plus is the J2ME. It'll be even more suited for the more powerful Java games and so the operators will like that.
__________________

TANKERx


Mobile Phone History
Nec D10
Ericsson i888 World -> N'7110 -> Sony J5e
N'9210 -> N'7650
SPV -> MPx200
N'6260 -> N'6680 -> N'N70 -> N'E61 -> N'N73

  #9  
Old 05-02-2003, 07:52 PM
PMidway PMidway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 69
PMidway is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANKERx
IMy (minor) concerns are:
Only 4Mb internal storage and only one card slot?
How much execution memory is there?
But it comes with a 64MB mmc card. Hopefully they can still keep the price down.

  #10  
Old 05-02-2003, 08:33 PM
Rafe's Avatar
Rafe Rafe is offline
Founder / Chief
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sussex
Posts: 6,084
Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
This device looks great, OK so it is Symbian and I'm biased but seriously this good... I know a device like this is all about the games, but they seemed to have got some serious stuff signed up already.

I'm doing what everyone else is probably, reading through the stuff and going .. wow!

N.B. Rest assured that AAS will cover this baby (its Symbian after all).
__________________
Remember: The search command is your friend.
Feedback wanted: PM, email or post with your suggestions, complaints, feedback.

  #11  
Old 05-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Are there any screenshots and movies about the games? Those screens seems like they are mockups. Or am I seeing things?

  #12  
Old 05-02-2003, 10:58 PM
Rafe's Avatar
Rafe Rafe is offline
Founder / Chief
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sussex
Posts: 6,084
Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Are there any screenshots and movies about the games? Those screens seems like they are mockups. Or am I seeing things?
Almost certainly mockups. That said the games probably will look that good. The processor looks like its going to be doubled from the 7650 to 205mhz or something like that..
__________________
Remember: The search command is your friend.
Feedback wanted: PM, email or post with your suggestions, complaints, feedback.

  #13  
Old 05-02-2003, 11:07 PM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
The processor looks like its going to be doubled from the 7650 to 205mhz or something like that..
really? Do you have some info about it or is it just a hunch?

  #14  
Old 05-02-2003, 11:14 PM
Ewan's Avatar
Ewan Ewan is offline
Ye Olde Administratorium
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 2,988
Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Processor speed hunch is on the battery life - assuming that the clocked down Strong Arm processor isn the 7650 (100mhz ish) is let loose to run at 206mhz, the battery figures look about right.
__________________
-- Ewan Spence, ewanspence@gmail.com
--
-- Online: www.ewanspence.com
-- Twitter: @ewan

  #15  
Old 05-02-2003, 11:18 PM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
well, forum.nokia.com has N-Gage specs and they state it as a 104Mhz ARM.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
details, ngage, nokia, reveals

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:09 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy