All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-07-2009, 04:40 AM

fuzzuy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Worst Nokia I've ever bought!

Hello,

I am not sure that i am posting it right here or not feel free to move this if it is not in the right forum/section !

Before i start let you know guys that i have been a die hard fan for Nokia Phone over 10 to 15 years now and let me tell you that i have waited long to buy this phone and unfortunately i bought this phone as soon as it arrived in the US market even though i am from Canada and it is still not available here in canada so i made the effort and arrangement to buy that, the reason for all this above here that I paid the prime price and waited for long to come out this phone and what big disappointment is this phone I tell you it's been a week and ahalf with me now already.

First thing i did is that i upgraded the firmware which was kind a mandatory after reading so many forums, even though i did that phone crashes every two or three days specially facebook widget phone auto screen orientation is very bad seem like nokia like right hand better than left as if i use on my right year phone orientation seems ok that way it should but if switch to my left year while talking phone switch it's orientation to keyboard style which is very annoying specially when you want to press numbers after calls start (entering pin no's etc).

phone totally froze i have to remove the battery to reset that, weather widget froze often also don't know why touch screen is worst have to tap two or some times three times,

I am really frustrated with this and regretting my decision for buying this phone and probably it will be my last Nokia i am seriously thinking to switching to apple now as i have Ipod touch and i love that.

If any one else faces these problems or like those or if any one know the solution and like to help will be gr8 thanks.

Last edited by fuzzuy; 27-07-2009 at 04:41 AM. Reason: speeling

Old 27-07-2009, 06:10 AM

m4j0r is on a distinguished road
Back up your phone and try to reset your phone to factory default or take a "hard reset" of your phone. The first choice fixed a lot of my bugs.

Old 27-07-2009, 07:00 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
I think the OP has a point though, I canít help but feel a bit underwhelmed by the N97.

Why should we have to do a hard re-set of the phone when first getting it out of the box and then immediately do a firmware upgrade? Its like buying a brand new car, then putting it in for a service before youíve even driven it. Its mad. It should work brilliantly out of the box Ė unequivocally.

Like him, I was waiting with great anticipation for this phone,and Iíve had it for just over a month, but it doesnít leave me looking at it in awe, and so far it working ok, but its clunky. The screen orientation takes a second or two to change, but seems like a-g-e-s, I donít have any live widgets on the home screen due to the problem they cause, Iím still confused about the whole internet connection thing Ė and Iíve been using Symbian phones for years, so Iím not a newcomer to this. I donít want to show it off, as half the time I press a button, it doesnít work, have to press it two / three times, and those playing with it will probably hate it anywayÖ.

One telling sign for me is that here in Saudi, the N95 is hugely popular. Literally, every other person seems to have it, its literally everywhere, and people are still buying it . To date, I havenít seen anyone else with an N97, even though its had a massive exposure on launch. I used my N95 the other day, had a few problems with it, but a firmware upgrade should sort that. Iím happy to do a FW upgrade on that phone, as its over two years old! I find it much easier to use than the N97, and in reality, does about the same.

I think Iíll wait for the next incarnation of the iPhone and make the move across to that. Might even wait for the iPhone 3GS to hit Saudi and then sell off the N97. I use Mac computers all the time, and now I have the same impression of the Symbian OS + Nokia as I have of Windoze.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 27-07-2009, 07:29 AM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
Angry

I was doing really well with the optimistic "they'll fix in in the firmware" approach until my lens got scratched by the lens cover.

Now the lack of RAM is irritating me on general principle. And I've got less patience with buggy firmware because I can't imagine nokia are going to do anything about the hardware.

If anyone said to me "Should I buy the N97" I I would have to say "No", and after looking forward to this phone since December that's pretty disappointing...

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/
Ads

Old 27-07-2009, 08:02 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Maybe it will good one day, but at the moment it's a big let down.

However, I am just about tollerating it.

Old 27-07-2009, 08:44 AM

bobby68 is on a distinguished road
Well, I love my N97. It's pretty stable, only a few small bugs.

Go ahead, buy the applephone, no one is gonna blame you

Oh, and remember how the N95 was, when it was launched...

Old 27-07-2009, 08:48 AM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
Talking

i think you guys are right, out of the box its a disgrace..........however

after the v11 update and full hard reset, i now have 56mb free on my C memory and the phone runs well

there are still a few bugs which i expect to be ironed out in the next (few) updates.

Would I prefer a Iphone 3GS? No chance.

Yes it has a better interface, and loads of apps, but the reality is that its a novelty phone, after a few months of playing silly apps, the main things that i want are

- fast internet, opera mini destroys anything Apple have/will produce
- decent camera and video recorder - no contest
- and complete flexibility with music - don't want to be a slave to Itunes
- Built in FM Transmitter - mine works fine

I would (and i think you guys would as well) get very quickly bored with an Iphone. Its a glorified fashion accessory, and my N95 classic was better, the N97 is miles ahead.

i'm happy with it, although there are some days.......

Old 27-07-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit44 View Post
i think you guys are right, out of the box its a disgrace..........however

after the v11 update and full hard reset, i now have 56mb free on my C memory and the phone runs well

there are still a few bugs which i expect to be ironed out in the next (few) updates.

Would I prefer a Iphone 3GS? No chance.

Yes it has a better interface, and loads of apps, but the reality is that its a novelty phone, after a few months of playing silly apps, the main things that i want are

- fast internet, opera mini destroys anything Apple have/will produce
- decent camera and video recorder - no contest
- and complete flexibility with music - don't want to be a slave to Itunes
- Built in FM Transmitter - mine works fine

I would (and i think you guys would as well) get very quickly bored with an Iphone. Its a glorified fashion accessory, and my N95 classic was better, the N97 is miles ahead.

i'm happy with it, although there are some days.......
I don't disagree with the facts - I still think my old N95 is better than the new iPhone 3GS, but it just seems daft that I buy a brand new phone ( bought it sim free here in Saudi ) and it STILL doesn't work smoothly - even after a hard re-set AND a FW upgrade.

I'm reluctant to try Opera mini, everytime I've tried it on other phones, it just causes problems - never connects properly, can't change the connection from internet to wifi, too slow to load, and personally, I didn't think it was the easiest to use.

The reason for thinking about the iPhone is that what it does, it does very well. I can't say the same for the N97. And that's the total frustration, it has sooo much potential, and I think that might be the problem, it's capable of doing so much, that it doesn't actually master any thing ( jack of all trades, master of none ? )

And at the same time, we are left to think up all kinds of solutions ( hard re-sets, FW upgrades, removing live widgets etc ) to get it to work smoothly.

I can only express a HUGE disappointment. I will probably bear with it and keep on with the updates, but in reality, would I do that with any other item I've just spent half a grand on? Could have bought quite a decent laptop for that money, and if it didn't work properly, it'd be straight back to the shop.

RM-530
E72-1

Old 27-07-2009, 09:23 AM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
If it wasn't for the hardware issue with the lens I'd have a lot more tolerance left... Loved by N95...

*sigh*

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 27-07-2009, 09:55 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Yeah, N95 was a great phone.

Old 27-07-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
Yeah, N95 was a great phone.
remind me again why i paid £500 to get rid of my N95?

Old 27-07-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
remind me again why i paid £500 to get rid of my N95?

Just asking myself the same question....

How much dya reckon I could get for the N97 on ebay?.......
RM-530
E72-1

Old 27-07-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
Just asking myself the same question....

How much dya reckon I could get for the N97 on ebay?.......
lol, i sent my N95 classic to Mazuma last week, got £95 for it.

Reckon the N97 worth at least £50......

Old 27-07-2009, 12:28 PM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
lol, i sent my N95 classic to Mazuma last week, got £95 for it.

Reckon the N97 worth at least £50......
lol .... at least !!

I just sold my N95 on ebay for just a little more than you sold yours to Mazuma (but not much more) - I haven't had any probbles with my N97 after installing the new firmware but i can't say i've noticed much difference between the N95 and the N97 apart from the blaringly obvious

and i agree ..... the N95 was a great phone which is why i had the confidence to move on to an N97

Old 27-07-2009, 12:45 PM

LJS is on a distinguished road
I'm more than happy with my N97. I have had a variety of phones over the past 15 years but seem to always come back to Nokia.

The N97 isn't perfect, but then nor is ANY phone out there, all have thier issues. Everything i need from this N97 works fine for me, Music player, fm transmitter, google maps and the main thing for me is a nice fast browser as i spend a fair bit of time online. I will be sticking with the N97 as it wont take Nokia long to come out with bug fixes/updates and I'm sure we can expect some lovely additions to the phone in the future like skype and point & go.