All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 22-06-2009, 06:52 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Five reasons why Java has already saved Nokia

It's been in every S60 phone since the first 7650 came out of Espoo... and it's still delivering for Nokia. Has Java really saved Nokia, asks Ewan Spence? From N-Gage support to bedroom coders, Ewan's clearly on a big Java high!

Read on in the full article.

Old 22-06-2009, 08:14 AM

bbj is on a distinguished road
Couldnt disagree more

In my view Java has done more damage to the mobile applications industry than all other things combined.

i) its a totally inappropriate language for mobile, its bloated, slow, incompatible between devices, write once fails everywhere etc. Any language that has to include its own src in the executable to work (regardless of the reasons) is just insane on a limited memory device such as mobiles, even today.

ii) There are far better interpreted style languages that are just as secure as Java but designed by people that acutally knew something about mobile, OPL is one good example. Just they didnt have the $$$ Sun rammed down peoples throats. Oh dear has Sun gone bust, how sad.

iii) Forcing companies to re-write tens/hundreds of man years of legacy code in a new language just so you can spend thousands of hrs having to port between every device is just insane. How have Apple magically got tens of thousands of apps in the last 12 to 18 months - because they allow companies to re-use their legacy C/C++ code written for say PC or Mac to more or less work on iPhone with a small amount of wrapping via ObjectiveC.

Old 22-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Unregistered

The only Java crapp on my phone is the Opera Mini and I'd swap it to a native version in a heartbeat.

Old 22-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Unregistered

"A different dialect of c++" ? Really? How is this different from using any other API on any other device? There aer some different programming considerations, but these are things that work to the advantage of Symbian.

I will contest that C++ programming for S60 is not any more difficult than any other for a programmer. I would use it over Java any day. Use the Python stuff for modelling and prototyping and then code in C++. There is no benefit programming for mobile in java unless you are only experienced in java for mobile and have perhaps come from another platform.

If you know how to get your head round and use an API then you can program for Symbian.

Old 22-06-2009, 08:51 AM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Like Steve, I also want to know if an app is Java. I'm not sure about Steve's reasons for asking, but mine are nothing to do with it actually being Java, but rather that they tend to be slow, and, more importantly, the UI is not consistent with the rest of the phone. Even the Wdsets application, which was Java, was not consistent and needed me to re-learn the interface, albeit in small ways.

I don't like having to do that.

Of course, if there is a Java app that doesn't force me to relearn the UI, then I'm all ears...I've not seen one yet, though I'd not looked so hard.

Perhaps, in the game world, you're used to having the UI changed for each game. I suppose I'm not really a game person...I'm primarily talking about other apps.

Old 22-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Unregistered

Java provides write once run everywhere

but it will look rubbish on every phone / platform

As a customer I don't care about developers saving money porting applications I want an software that works and integrates well on MY phone.

Symbian C++ is actually pretty easy, the lack of a decent development environment and supporting documentation is what makes it hard. Yes, even descriptors and active objects save you from headaches that I encounter when I port C code using raw pointers and threads.

The tools/docs problems should get better with the Foundation because everyone can get access to any source that they need to debug. They can raise bug supports that will get treated more or less the same as internal bug reports and finally Qt should eliminate some of the historical weirdness for day to day UI programming.

Old 22-06-2009, 09:21 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The only Java crapp on my phone is the Opera Mini and I'd swap it to a native version in a heartbeat.
Try Skyfire. Its close.

Old 22-06-2009, 09:40 AM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
but it will look rubbish on every phone / platform

As a customer I don't care about developers saving money porting applications I want an software that works and integrates well on MY phone.

Symbian C++ is actually pretty easy, the lack of a decent development environment and supporting documentation is what makes it hard. Yes, even descriptors and active objects save you from headaches that I encounter when I port C code using raw pointers and threads.

The tools/docs problems should get better with the Foundation because everyone can get access to any source that they need to debug. They can raise bug supports that will get treated more or less the same as internal bug reports and finally Qt should eliminate some of the historical weirdness for day to day UI programming.
Yes, I agree. It isn't *that* hard. I've done my fair share of Symbian C++ development. The main problem I think people have is due to the fact that it's called "C++" and so they expect it to be the same as what they learned at University, and then they find they have to learn some more. Experienced s/w engineers are used to learning new stuff - it's almost a constant thing, unfortuntely. Once I'd put the time in to learn it, it all sort of made sense (sort of) - hacking around trying to use regular C++ just gets you frustrated and I think many people approach it that way.

Old 22-06-2009, 11:17 AM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Sorry mate.. Java is just wrong

If I could wish for one thing in Nokia phones, the first thing I would wish for is to get rid of this horrible crap called Java.

I have just finished a lengthy debate on another Symbian board about why extra hardware will not be used properly and only go to waste. Drawing up a conclusion, Nokia has done such a bad job at providing developers (and potential developers) environments in which they can work by. In comparison to the Iphone software (which is all native code and taking full potential of its hardware through SDK supported libraries).

Comparing back to the Java 2D games on the S60 platform, it really absolutely disgusts me to think that in this day and age, we still have to live by 30 year old Commodore 64 type games (and even some C64 games are BETTER than the grotesque Java based games). This is true when we now have exceptional hardware (N95/82, Innov8, i8910 etc) - that is capable of OpenGL Quake 3 (mainstream on the high end PCs only 5 years ago).

Most people would agree - the only Java Apps that is worth having is probably Opera Mini (which is done extremely well) and (some) games out of Digital Chocolate.

See here - on how the industry thinks of NGage:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ed-fading-star

Java has not saved Nokia.. and mark my words..

JAVA WILL KILL NOKIA.. give it some time and you will see.

Old 22-06-2009, 11:24 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Skyfire

@malerocks ; a question : how come Skyfire doesn't work on the inner screen of an E90 ? It freezes from the start ! It works on the outer screen , but then is a hassle because of all the scrolling needed .
So I still prefer Opera Mini .

Regards jApi NL

Old 22-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmaxwaterma View Post
Yes, I agree. It isn't *that* hard. I've done my fair share of Symbian C++ development. The main problem I think people have is due to the fact that it's called "C++" and so they expect it to be the same as what they learned at University, and then they find they have to learn some more. Experienced s/w engineers are used to learning new stuff - it's almost a constant thing, unfortuntely. Once I'd put the time in to learn it, it all sort of made sense (sort of) - hacking around trying to use regular C++ just gets you frustrated and I think many people approach it that way.
Anyone who comes out of university expecting to sit and code Kernighan and Ritchie has clearly learned sweet FA.

And this nonsense some people are spouting about Nokia not providing information for people to code natively are talking plain shyte. All the information required is a few clicks away on the web. There aer numerous books and there are SDKs available along with emulators for every phone way ahead of the phone going to market. Truly a monumental amount of work by Symbian, not to be underestimated.

Old 22-06-2009, 11:48 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
@malerocks ; a question : how come Skyfire doesn't work on the inner screen of an E90 ? It freezes from the start ! It works on the outer screen , but then is a hassle because of all the scrolling needed .
So I still prefer Opera Mini .

Regards jApi NL
Unfortunately, the e90 has such a unique resolution that it is not supported by many symbian apps. So Skyfire does not work on that. Would have been wonderful if it could though. Surfing the web on that screen would have been fantabalous.

Old 22-06-2009, 12:26 PM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
java? lol.

Old 22-06-2009, 02:16 PM

zyler is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure if that is true. It will definitely not save them if they want to compete with the likes of Apple though.
Ads

Old 22-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyler View Post
I'm not sure if that is true. It will definitely not save them if they want to compete with the likes of Apple though.
It's wierd how people believe that Apple with their single overpriced product are somehow leading. Nokia have a large number of different phones to cover most of the market place and have, by far, the lions share. It is Apple who would like to compete, but are still a country mile behind. By not releasing a nano-phone Apple are still missing out a large piece of the marketplace. You don't need a multitude of native apps to compete, you need products (notice the use of plural) that most people can afford, and that offer the buyer a choice, both in style of device and in network provider. For a device that spends (for most people) over 95% of the day not being used, you know what makes sense.