All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-01-2008, 08:40 AM

teck21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
Why don't you go out and buy the application rather than pirate it? This will give Garmin the incentive to make it better. It'll cost you around $100 US, for what it does, it's well worth the money considering it'll last you the life of the phone.
hi, have purchased the orginal application from garmin thanks

Old 13-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Why don't you go out and buy the application rather than pirate it? This will give Garmin the incentive to make it better. It'll cost you around $100 US, for what it does, it's well worth the money considering it'll last you the life of the phone.

Or longer, depending on how long S60 V3 lasts.

Does anyone have good settings for the speed cam setup? Some of them dont get given alerts if you do it automatically rather than manual. Whats the best distance etc?

Old 13-01-2008, 09:22 AM

dchky is on a distinguished road
Most speed traps these days are either laser or a more traditional digital camera that is able to resolve your number plate.

(These distances don't include slowing down)

For laser you should assume at least 3500 feet, this is typically the maximum distance that many modern designs state on their spec sheets. In heavy traffic areas the distance could be decreased a reasonable amount since the cop has to eyeball you car first.

For the older radio doppler types, not much over 1000 feet, again depending on traffic conditions and atmospherics.

The number plate happy snaps are only good for a few hundred feet.

EDIT: Watch out for the laser/camera combination though - these things can resolve your plates out to a fair distance too.
Not sure if these types of thing are legal in your country, though there are lots of jammers available that can readily defeat some of these systems, you could also stick a load of high intensity infra-red LED's around your plates to ~maybe~ white out your plates on some of the crappier cameras. Where I live you can also buy screens that let you see your plate from straight on, but move to a slight angle and it becomes blurred or tinted out.

Last edited by dchky; 13-01-2008 at 09:38 AM.

Old 13-01-2008, 09:33 AM

DeltaT is on a distinguished road
I'm looking at buying this software, as I've given up waiting for built-in Gps support from TomTom_I_don't_care_about_other_devises_anymore_be cause_we're_too_Big!!! (Which i'm even more annoyed about as I've contributed to this buy having brought all 6 versions over the years!)

Can anyone please tell me will this work on my N95 8gb and if so is it an easy process because from what I've read the software is supplied on a SD card.
Is it as simple as just copying the files over to the 8gb?

Old 13-01-2008, 09:39 AM

tonymy01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Most speed traps these days are either laser or a more traditional digital camera that is able to resolve your number plate.
(These distances don't include slowing down)
For laser you should assume at least 3500 feet, this is typically the maximum For the older radio doppler types, not much over 1000 feet, again depending on traffic conditions and atmospherics.
The number plate happy snaps are only good for a few hundred feet.
In Australia, the warnings are for fixed cameras only, which are triggered with weight sensors in the road surface, so these distances above are meaningless. Of course a mobile cop can setup a lidar or have radar on their car still, but the predominant revenue raising for the state of NSW and Victoria is with fixed cameras (and in NSW they have big warning signs warning of the camera still!)
All the POI files I have seen are for the fixed cameras, a few different downloads I have seen have "blackspots" which is either where police are known to hang out, or a high accident intersection.
Regards

Old 13-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks dchky, might try adjusting later on. However everytime I put POI on, it seems to delete any previous ones I put on. Does anyone else get that?

And doing anything to stop cameras from seeing your plate is illegal, including having too much mud on it.

DeltaT, the process once you find out how is reasonably simple. Its just a shame that its also the way around copy protection so it cant be allowed on this site.

Dispite having genuine software, I had to do it because I dont want to be limited to 200 odd MB because it only comes on a 512mb card, or carry a card around with me.
Ads

Old 13-01-2008, 01:46 PM

dchky is on a distinguished road
I'm Australian by nationality, though I haven't lived there in 8 years. I live in a country that is very flexible on car modifications. As long as the plate can be read by the guy standing a couple of steps away at inspection time, then it's ok, even if some squatting or head tilting is required to read it.

By the way, I do agree, the memory cards that Garmin provide are extremely useless.

Old 14-01-2008, 12:09 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
anyone know how to search by zip/postal code using garmin? i cant seem to search anything unless i know the exact address. obviously you can search near your current location. but if i just wanna type in a zip or postal code, how do i do it?

Old 14-01-2008, 05:49 PM

CrispyDuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
Thanks dchky, might try adjusting later on. However everytime I put POI on, it seems to delete any previous ones I put on. Does anyone else get that?

And doing anything to stop cameras from seeing your plate is illegal, including having too much mud on it.

DeltaT, the process once you find out how is reasonably simple. Its just a shame that its also the way around copy protection so it cant be allowed on this site.

Dispite having genuine software, I had to do it because I dont want to be limited to 200 odd MB because it only comes on a 512mb card, or carry a card around with me.
Sure i read on PocketGPSworld that you can only submit one at a time. So if you want to add you would have to somehow add to your original then send the updated file, it overwrites.

Think thats roughly what it meant.

Crispy

Old 22-01-2008, 04:34 AM

fred39 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am seriously considering buying the the Garmin for my N95,, but my question is can I legally transfer the prog to my 8gb sandisk card so that I dont have to keep changing around. Great forum. Thanks in advance.

Old 24-01-2008, 10:14 AM

generationgav is on a distinguished road
Has anybody got a problem with the volume of Garmin? For me it's awfully quiet. It's fine when sat in a room, but when in a car with the radio on (quiet) and road noises I just can't hear it.
And it's not a problem with my N95 because the Music Player can be deafning!

I'm not sure if there's a system volume I need to change.

Old 24-01-2008, 10:20 AM

ky1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by generationgav View Post
Has anybody got a problem with the volume of Garmin? For me it's awfully quiet. It's fine when sat in a room, but when in a car with the radio on (quiet) and road noises I just can't hear it.
And it's not a problem with my N95 because the Music Player can be deafning!

I'm not sure if there's a system volume I need to change.
There is volume setting in germin, go to setting then oudio.

Old 24-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

In garmin, go to - settings - Audio

and the first option you see is Volume. Mine is at 80% which is way loud enough unless my music is loud (or the GF is in the car).

Edit: beaten to it.

Old 24-01-2008, 10:41 AM

generationgav is on a distinguished road
I've got mine to 100% and still not loud enough!

Have changed the language to English (British) maybe I should set it back to default?

Old 24-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Shouldnt make a difference, but may as well try. If all your other sound is loud enough, Im not sure what the problem is.