All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-02-2008, 10:45 AM

sbc is on a distinguished road
Try checking in the \sys\bin folder. Got some interesting files in there

Old 01-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Nope, theres a gmobilext.exe file, but I thought symbian didnt use exe files?

Old 01-02-2008, 11:24 AM

dchky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc View Post
Try checking in the \sys\bin folder. Got some interesting files in there
How can you access that directory on the N95 without AllFiles capability?

Edit: I'm stupid, just take the memory card out and stick it in yer computer.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Or use data transfer mode.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:39 PM

You need to unhide the files, Bart

Don't tell me these files doesn't look the deal:

CardRunner.dll <-- this one?
GMobileXT.exe
QueApi.dll
TSRAutoStart.exe <-- huh?

Old 01-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Possibly, but I have LOADS of files in there, and no idea which were garmin related, apart from the ones with 'garmin' in.

Already unhidden, has to be to see the sys folder on mine.

Silly question, how do you know those are garmin related, and if I delete/rename them it wont mess something up?

Old 01-02-2008, 02:43 PM

They are the ones in the original installer package. Those four and ONLY those four. You can try renaming them one by one. The worst thing that can happen is that Garmin doesn't run anymore, and then you just restore the original name.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Good job SBC. It was CardRunner.dll

Suprised it was a dll, or its possible that just made it work. Either way, that massive annoyance has stopped now.

Been transferring loads due to trying to get my sygic trial working, which it is but still has the instruction issue.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:57 PM

henh is on a distinguished road
Garmin Mobile XT & Nokia N82

hi everyone
this is my first post on this forum, i've just bought a new N82 on eBay.
i still using my 18 months old Ipaq 6915, a little tired with Windows Mobile OS and like to try the S60 OS.
I'm wondering that Garmin Mobile XT works on N82 as on N95?
and if it's possible, please educate me more about N82.
Thx in advance
Ads

Old 06-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Although its not on their compatibility list, I see no reason why it wouldnt work.

The N82 is the same operating system as the N95 and 6110 (S60V3 FP1), and those both work fine with garmin.

If for some odd reason it doesnt work, Im sure you could send it back within 14 days.

Id be extremely suprised if it didnt however. Seeing as its the same OS, gps chipset, it should work flawlessly. The N82 has more RAM than the 6110, so its definatly got enough power.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
Although its not on their compatibility list, I see no reason why it wouldnt work.

The N82 is the same operating system as the N95 and 6110 (S60V3 FP1), and those both work fine with garmin.

If for some odd reason it doesnt work, Im sure you could send it back within 14 days.

Id be extremely suprised if it didnt however. Seeing as its the same OS, gps chipset, it should work flawlessly. The N82 has more RAM than the 6110, so its definatly got enough power.
Thanks for reply, appreciated

Old 07-02-2008, 02:26 PM

Hobbymat is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:

Are you sure that installation of Mobile XT on N82 won't bring any problems to the phone's text input mode? The problem I have on my mind is the 'sticky # key symptom'.

I've tested installing Garmin Mobile XT on many Nokia phones, and in certain models XT seems to screw up the phone's own operating system. You can only see the problem if you start entering some text (e.g. email, SMS, name, etc) and press # at least once for switching the text input mode or entering a capital letter. After that the # key up/down states are permanently switched, so you'll have to keep the # key pressed down if you want to move the cursor without selecting the text.

The models that are affected are exactly those S60 3rd edition phones that do not have the Pen key or a full qwerty keyboard. Some models that are NOT affected by a Garmin Mobile XT installation are for example N95, N95-8GB, and also E61i.

Please prove me wrong. I'd very much like to use Garmin Mobile XT on my N82, but so far I just can't afford crippling the text input capability in my phone...

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Hobbymat; 07-02-2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: typos

Old 07-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

I cannot vouch for that Im afraid, without a N82 to test it on. However, I can say that I have Garmin installed on my 6110, which doesnt have a pen key and I have just checked to make double sure, I dont get that problem.

In fact, I just wrote a message with caps on and off, while Garmin was running just to double test.

So I cant say for sure about your N82, but its worth a go as you could send it back for a refund within 14 days if it did mess things up.

Just dont tell them you have an N82, or they will say something about the compatibility list.

What models did this effect? And were you able to get rid of the problem once garmin was uninstalled?

Also, make sure you use the latest version. The latest version is available on their website for free (its the maps that cost money). I think the link is earlier on in this thread.

Found it: http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3651

Last edited by bartmanekul; 07-02-2008 at 02:49 PM.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:19 PM

Garmin Mobile XT with 2 different maps

hi, anyone here know how i can install both North Amreica NT 2008 & Europe NT 2008 and make them recognized by Garmin Mobile XT.
I installed the North America NT 2008, it works perfectly on my N82. When I tried to install the Europe NT 2008, it seem not be recognized at all.
on the other forum saying that someone has installed 3 different maps on their mobile & make them work by re-name some .JMP & UNL files.
Please let me know if there's a way to do that
Thanks in advance

Last edited by henh; 10-02-2008 at 05:22 PM.

Old 15-02-2008, 08:49 PM

Hobbymat is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
I cannot vouch for that Im afraid, without a N82 to test it on. However, I can say that I have Garmin installed on my 6110, which doesnt have a pen key and I have just checked to make double sure, I dont get that problem.

Hi bartmanekul,

You're right! After all the hassle I finally got the Mobile XT working also in N82 (and 6110, btw)!

The problem was in the old 4.10.40 installation which interfered with the new 4.10.60 version. After uninstalling the old version and then manually installing the updated version, there were no longer any problems with text input.

A correct way to install XT on N82, E90 and 6110 seems to be:
- Basemaps first
- Then the support files
- The 4.10.60 update version (from your link) as the last one

If the phone won't start installing the XT after removing the USB cable, the SIS file has to be manually installed from the F:\Garmin\Apps\Symbian\RES folder. At least that's what I had to do.

Edit: Sorry, this installation method only works until the next reboot. After I start the phone again after having installed Mobile XT, there's still something in that screws up the cursor movement in text input mode after I press the # key for changing the text mode. I just tested this with a N82 and a 6110.

What on earth am I doing incorrectly?

Note: When I try to uninstall XT, the phone gives a message "Unable to remove application. Other applications must be closed first. Close now?". Perhaps it is this unknown process (starting at boot) that gives all the trouble? If I start up the phone without the memory card (where XT is installed), there are no problems with text input. However, they start again immediately when I insert the memory card! Weird... :(

Last edited by Hobbymat; 18-02-2008 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Additional info