All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 16-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Ewan around America with a $250 phone budget - part 4

Some say he's secretly part of Finnish Rock band Lordi. Some say he only needs 5 minutes sleep a night. All we know is, he's called Ewan Spence. Part 4 of a series of short videos from Ewan is embedded below, along with some of his 'diary' commentary, as part of his gaming and blogging spring trip to San Francisco (GDC) and Austin (SXSW). Rafe set him a series of challenges (also known as a real world test of the Nokia 5230 / Nokia Nuron). In part 4, Ewan takes on the Stig-delivered challenge of finding a party, having a drink and messing around with FourSquare.... [Hmm... sounds like a 'jolly' to me.... Ed]

Read on in the full article.

Old 16-03-2010, 03:32 PM
F..

No E-mail love? --I'd suggest emoze (it really consumes less)
Also, why not including Nimbuzz into the list? (You know to burn the remaining of your data plane ~79 MB). Last time I tried it was using near 400KB/Min (VOIP)

Old 16-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Unregistered

I'm really enjoying these series. Thanks guys!

I'd go with Opera Mobile instead of Mini. It has an option to turn on server-side compressing, so you get all the benefits of Opera Mini in a native application.

Old 16-03-2010, 05:45 PM
F..

@Unregistered you might think it will do server-side , but not really (it will behave more like opera in windows/mac/linux and also, you will need to enable it as its not turn on by default). Usually Opera-native browser, will ends up not doing any server-side things. For this guy mini-Opera is the best way to do it (After all, he isn't using smart-phone remember?).

Old 16-03-2010, 06:57 PM

carman58 is on a distinguished road
opera mini

hi, great series and great recommendations , just a point that the latest version of opera mini out of beta today is much much better than the version shown ! I'm using it to post this , and to paraphrase Tony the tiger it's Greeeaaaaaaattttttttt

Old 16-03-2010, 07:38 PM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
Hi Ewan,

You found my secret. I have been doing this for quite a while using JoikuSpot as my weapon of choice on my Nokia when I travel to the US, or any country for that matter. I just pop into the local AT&T store, get a 100MB data service only SIM and I am set. Been doing that in Germany as well. My iPhone or Mac never knows the difference, just that they are on a wifi connection.
Ads