All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 10-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Review: Sony Ericsson Satio: part 4 - Media Suite and Wrap-up

Following on from the first three review parts: Sony Ericsson Satio - part 1: Form, Design, Build Quality and Sony Ericsson Satio - part 2: The Camera and Sony Ericsson Satio - part 3: Applications and interface, here's my last look at the new Sony Ericsson flagship, rounding up its media suite and overall worth. It's fair to say that bugs and inconsistencies rather ruined my overall Satio experience, but hey, at least I've got photographic proof. Yet another manufacturer living with a buggy flagship? Gah.

Read on in the full article.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
I can't reproduce that media player bug on my Satio, and I would say that the album art recognition is better than in the standard S60 music player, or on the tweaked version on the i8910. However, the camera controls are horribly limited in UI design - compared to the i8910 or even the 5800, the Satio hides far too many "everyday" functions off in the "Settings" menu.

It's also annoying how, in any of the SonyEricsson written applications (such as the media suit) there's no Options > Exit menu structure. SE have tried too hard to make S60 mimic UIQ in their own apps, which leaves a horribly inconsistent interface, especially to someone who's not aware of the history of SE, UIQ and S60.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Unregistered

I also can not reproduce the video player bug on my Satio.

I do agree with Steve on the unreliable album art though. The Satio identifies the album art of about 5 songs out of the 260 I have on there, while all my other Symbian phones identify the album art perfectly.

No matter what Sony Ericsson do to the Satio, it will still never match its direct (multimedia) competitors due to its hardware shortcomings: resistive screen, no internal memory, low capacity battery, no 3.5mm jack and poor mono speaker.

The camera is, however, the best on any smartphone currently available, and is the only reason I'm using the Satio as my every day phone.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Unregistered

i got this phone at the beginning of january with high hopes of it replacing my N82.

i have to say that after a week i had to return it as it was not fit for purpose. i loved the 12mp camera and additional screen size, but there were so many things that ruined it. the screen is not responsive enough, you'd have to jab at it to register, so texting was really slow; the position of the screen unlock key beside the headphone socket meant that it was obscured when the headphones were plugged in; and the bugs! it would crash 5-6 times a day, like when receiving texts and opening the camera to take that 'spontaneous' photo, then the phone would stall and restart, at least once before settling down. these experiences seriously tarnish such a potentially great phone. i must say web browsing using opera mobile was fantastic, but all the other stuff was a let down.

i'm using my N82 now, pondering if to go for the N86 or wait for a 5th edition N86 replacement (rumoured N87?) in 2010. Fingers crossed....

Aidan

Old 11-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Brendan Donegan

I got the Satio in the middle of December, with similar hopes to Aidan (I also have an N82 and it served as my primary 'camera' for over a year). It shipped with the R1C firmware. I have to say that it seems like some people are either getting somehow buggy Satios (as a Symbian engineer, I'm not understanding why or how OEM's can manage to ship seemingly different firmwares with the same release number) or, more likely, are using them in a different way to others. I've had fewer resets in a month of ownership than Aidan claims to get in a day and I don't have any bad feelings towards my Satio. It seems to have coloured your opinion to Steve, because you're getting very picky on the 'Negatives'. I think that the Satio feels nice in the hand - it's no more 'plasticky' than the 5800 and I've never heard you complain about that.

There are still issues, but I have some confidence that SEMC can sort them out in one more update.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:18 PM

dlff is on a distinguished road
I am using a Satio with an ugraded software. Prior to upgrading using it was a complete nightmare. Is a far better phone now, not perfect but much better than before. I had the screen changed as it was found to be defective after using it for 2 weeks. This speaks so much for SE's quality control. The whole phone feels plasticky & that is a fact. Battery capacity sucks on the Satio. I have to practically charge it everyday whereas I don't need to with my N97 Mini. I have a N97 Mini too. You can feel the built quality & not plasticky at all. I have problem with it as well. Once it a while it says "memory is full & prompt you to close some apps." When you check how many apps are running in the background. There is none. To overcome this problem just remove the batt & reinsert & power on again.
My next phone would be a Nokia with 12mp camera running on an improved S60 touchscreen OS due sometime later this year I believe. Satio will most probably be my last SE phone.
Ads

Old 12-01-2010, 06:53 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Part of the problem, Brendan, is that the Satio is not only plastic, it's GLOSSY plastic. Showing ever darned fingerprint and screaming out to the world what it's made of. The 5800 has more 'matt' plastic surface area, resulting in a better feel.

But let's not get sidetracked, the plastic feel is only a minor thing at the end of the day. I'm glad several others have commented to agree with my 'buggy' end of term report for the Satio, glad it's not just me, even if the specific media suite bug wasn't replicated.....

Old 20-01-2010, 03:44 PM

chippysteve is on a distinguished road
Comparing with the N82

The Satio might be lacking in some respects but as an N82 user the Satio is about the only upgrade there is for me right now.

I checked it out this morning (post) and didn't notice any major build quality problems. Was impressed with the UI, browsing and speed of the UI. Size is comparable to N82 and weight appeared to be a little less.

At 480 Euro (here in DE) it's not cheap but the N82 wasn't cheap either. 12MP allows for some digital zooming and the on-screen controls make it a lot faster for choosing settings.

It's a shame that the OMAP platform doesnt appear to be used properly. I'm actually surprised they ported S60 to ARM v7 when they apear to be working on next-gen Symbian for the same platform. Significant firmware u/g is a hope on the Satio but also a big risk to take.

The only thing that stops me from buying it (i'm due for a new contract) is MWC. If Nokia launch a new high-end cameraphone on Symbian, I will regret buying the Satio.

Lets see what happens in a few weeks.

Steve

Old 28-01-2010, 09:04 PM

pierro78 is on a distinguished road
(sorry if I missed this very simple piece of info)
Does the Satio support voip ?? (phone calls over wifi using a sip account)
Thanks !

Old 21-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Unregistered

i am about to buy a satio when i found these reviews. i am really undecided at the moment. right now i'm using my n82. and i haven't got any problem with it. i just want to have a new phone with the best camera feature there is. suggestions please. thanks!

Old 04-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Unregistered

Talking Satio Correction

I've read it other comments and I was thinking like am I the only one to against 8 other comments, it is quite user-friendly to me,before that I used iphone3gs and N97 mini. I've bought this as I want to see the camera features,it is a lot better than N97 touch. There are many applications compatible with the phones. Search them like S60 V5 applications. I bought it in March 2010. I got the latest update after that... 1. It has longer battery life 2. Equalizer 3. WVGA(in video recording) 4. Sony Ericsson Album (to upload to facebook) 5. web browsing faster,if you still think it isn't fast enough,you can download opera mini beta browser. 6. can upload videos to youtube.
The body is quite responsive but I am quite happy to see negative comments here as I thought they are deliberately writing those non-sense,though it is a mono speaker or not 3.5mm audio jack, you can buy a headphone with 3.5mm audio jet connected to phone with Sony pin. Anyway, I am quite pleased with the bass flexi ear phone.