All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-09-2012, 06:53 AM

boybarts is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Nokia N8 upgrade to what? 808,920,ip5

Having had my Nokia N8 for almost two years now I am still struggling on what to upgrade to. When the Pureview 808 was announced I was pretty set on going for this despite it being on Symbian and the drawbacks that would entail. I waited patiently till the summer then the bombshell of no operators offering it on contract.

Buy it outright you say but 440 is a lot of spondooly and so I am considering alternatives. As noted on another thread the 808 is availabe from http://www.chitterchatter.co.uk/noki...val-pd-205.php but I know nothing about them and having been with Orange for, ugg, 13 years my contract there is pretty good.

So yesterday I excitedly looked at the new lumia phones hoping that an element of pureview would be in one of these. It is but as has been pointed out it is not the same technology and in my opinion my beloved N8 would still out perform the 920. I am left underwhelmed by the 920 and am back to considering my mobile future.

So if the iphone5 were to be announced with a camera that compares to the N8 I may with heavy heart be temted to jump on the tree fruit party bus.

So what do you suggest. Look forward to your opinions.
Thanks

Old 15-09-2012, 04:16 AM

rahulgarg is on a distinguished road
I personally do not think 808 is worth it given the bleak future in terms of OS updates and app support.

About Lumia 920, I think you are judging the phone without much evidence. I would expect it to outperform the iPhone 5 in low-light situations while being about equal in other conditions. If you are not in a hurry, then wait for a few weeks for Lumia reviews to come out.

On the Android side, GS III and HTC One X also have decent cameras though neither matches the N8 afaik. LG's new phone (optimus G) to be announced in a few weeks has a 13MP camera, so does the new Sony flagship Xperia T, but will wait for reviews for the verdict.

Old 15-09-2012, 04:17 AM

rahulgarg is on a distinguished road
Also, if you are ok with carrying two devices, and just want a smart camera, then the Galaxy Camera is worth checking out.
Ads

Old 16-09-2012, 01:38 PM

rahulgarg, thanks for replying. Was wondering if anyone would. Having now had the iphone5 event I am also underwhelmed by this as well. My reaction following this was that I was set on going for the 808 and sodding the cost. I read all the time about how symbian is old and clunky yet I am still using my N8 to its max and have no real issues with the OS. Which over this week has made me wonder whether I should just stick with it. I think that the tablet explosion this year has created a new way of working with our mobile devices. I am quite happy to tether my android tablet to my archaic symbian device and get all the up to date apps on this.
I am going to look at the Sony Xperia T as it looks interesting and I'd not heard anything about the LG so will give that a look.
I want a great camera as part of my phone so that it is always there and if I want full on camera action I dig out my Nikon DSLR.
Maybe that 808 will come down in price to something I might jump at or maybe when we get to Christmas I will still be using my N8.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:22 PM

Have been using my N8 up until April 2013 a full 2 and a half years of use. Now purchased an 808. Very happy apart from the google calendar sync issue.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:48 PM

mazor is on a distinguished road
upgrade to an 808 is camera is important to you or you want a phone that is symbian. Other wise the 920 definitely is the correct upgrade path.

I have not regrets getting an 808, as I am still a great fan of Symbian.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:25 AM

crolmac is on a distinguished road
hello, boybarts, you said you were happy to tether your android tablett to your phone... how did you do that? i have an android tablet and i intended to do just that, but realised i had to root the tablet to do that,and am still under warranty, so i won't do it now, besides i am always so nooby that i don't really dare.. mabe you can tell me howto do it if you didn't have to root your tablet, or send me links to people who could? sorry if this isn't the thread, please moderator, do your job if i overstepped the bounds, i get sorta confused on these points sometimes. thanks and take care all.