All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-07-2003, 09:56 AM

sanjg2k02 is on a distinguished road
Memory too low?!

Hi!
I have Nokia 3650 (Firmware 3.13) with a 128 MB MMC. I have about 1.6 MB free space on my phone memory. I am transferring the .sis file through Bluetooth. The following 3 applications canot get installed on the the phone if other .sis files pertaining to other applications/ games are also lying in the inbox. I get a message "Memory too low. Delete some data".

1. Moto Racer 3D Demo (.sis of 668 KB)

2.Prolingua (.sis of 632 KB)

3. PvPlayer (.sis of 366 KB)

If I delete these other messages (i.e. other .sis files) and leave only the one which is to be installed, I can install the applications at Sr. Nos. 2 and 3. The third one still gives me the same error. What do I do to ensure that I have some .sis files reside not in my inbox but anywhere else on E: so that low memory message is avoided?

Basically, I wanted .sis files of some of the MGS games in my Inbox all the time as these do not get installed on the memory card and occupy a lot of space (IS THAT REALLY TRUE OR CAN I HAVE THE MGS GAMES INSTALLED ON MMC?). I wanted to install these games whenever I wanted to play these and then delete the same. So my idea was to have these .sis files pertaining to MGS games on my MMC Card on E drive directly instead of leaving these in the Inbox of the Messages. But I am not able to locate these files in the Mail folder of Systems in E Drive. Search by Handyfile or FExplorer always leads to no results. PLEASE HELP ME. Also, I was keen to know as to whether the files lying in C>101>Bin can be deleted? Are these files useful at all? Which other folders on C: drive can be conveniently emptied?

Old 22-07-2003, 08:49 AM

mekeni2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: Memory too low?!

Hello Sanjeev!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjg2k02
Hi!
I have Nokia 3650 (Firmware 3.13) with a 128 MB MMC. I have about 1.6 MB free space on my phone memory. I am transferring the .sis file through Bluetooth. The following 3 applications canot get installed on the the phone if other .sis files pertaining to other applications/ games are also lying in the inbox. I get a message "Memory too low. Delete some data".

1. Moto Racer 3D Demo (.sis of 668 KB)

2.Prolingua (.sis of 632 KB)

3. PvPlayer (.sis of 366 KB)
Quote:
If I delete these other messages (i.e. other .sis files) and leave only the one which is to be installed, I can install the applications at Sr. Nos. 2 and 3. The third one still gives me the same error. What do I do to ensure that I have some .sis files reside not in my inbox but anywhere else on E: so that low memory message is avoided?
Sanjeev, I would suggest installing the Nokia PC Suite. Once you have installed the program, double-click the .SIS file that you wish to install and it will start installing the program for you. Along the way, you will be prompted on where to install the program, memory or MMC.

Quote:
Basically, I wanted .sis files of some of the MGS games in my Inbox all the time as these do not get installed on the memory card and occupy a lot of space (IS THAT REALLY TRUE OR CAN I HAVE THE MGS GAMES INSTALLED ON MMC?).
This is not true. This will still occupy memory space.

Quote:
I wanted to install these games whenever I wanted to play these and then delete the same. So my idea was to have these .sis files pertaining to MGS games on my MMC Card on E drive directly instead of leaving these in the Inbox of the Messages. But I am not able to locate these files in the Mail folder of Systems in E Drive.
Try checking C:\NOKIA\INSTALLS

Quote:
Search by Handyfile or FExplorer always leads to no results. PLEASE HELP ME. Also, I was keen to know as to whether the files lying in C>101>Bin can be deleted?
There are the contents of the INBOX.

Quote:
Are these files useful at all? Which other folders on C: drive can be conveniently emptied?
Please don't delete them. You might encounter problems with your phone afterwards.

Old 22-07-2003, 11:53 AM

ST@RR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What do I do to ensure that I have some .sis files reside not in my inbox but anywhere else on E: so that low memory message is avoided?
You can change the "memory in use" in your messages settings to MMC... to free up some space in your inbox.

Since you have 128mb MMC, why not change all your video settings, pictures, recorder to MMC? To free up your phone memory space. I'm not really sure if MGS can run on MMC... anyway, if you have done what I suggested, then you can install the MGS on your phone memory and all other apps in your MMC. Lack of memory would not be a problem anymore...

Old 22-07-2003, 11:59 AM

willbrady is on a distinguished road
MGS and the games for it DO now run from MMC

Will

Old 22-07-2003, 12:38 PM

Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST@RR
Quote:
What do I do to ensure that I have some .sis files reside not in my inbox but anywhere else on E: so that low memory message is avoided?
You can change the "memory in use" in your messages settings to MMC... to free up some space in your inbox.

Since you have 128mb MMC, why not change all your video settings, pictures, recorder to MMC? To free up your phone memory space. I'm not really sure if MGS can run on MMC... anyway, if you have done what I suggested, then you can install the MGS on your phone memory and all other apps in your MMC. Lack of memory would not be a problem anymore...

Thanks for the tip! I was not able to read my manual. How stupid of me. =)

Old 24-07-2003, 09:04 PM

Tatus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbrady
Are you sure, that all the new versions of the MGS games are able to be installed and played from MMC?

I know some of them I have, I installed on phone memory and then moved them to the MMC using the exact same directories, changing the path c:\ -> E:\ in the file

c:\system\magic101\magic101.ini

But if the new versions are "fixed" no need for that anymore then?

Old 25-07-2003, 10:37 AM

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatus
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbrady
Are you sure, that all the new versions of the MGS games are able to be installed and played from MMC?

I know some of them I have, I installed on phone memory and then moved them to the MMC using the exact same directories, changing the path c:\ -> E:\ in the file

c:\system\magic101\magic101.ini

But if the new versions are "fixed" no need for that anymore then?
Thanks again for the tip!

Cool!

Old 16-09-2003, 01:52 AM

stanley is on a distinguished road
Re: Memory too low?!

hahahahahaha

go to message then go "Option" and choose using memory instead of phone storage lor.

This comfirm works if you really got 128mb MMc card :roll: :agrue: :bday: