All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
HX8 - the latest and greatest for the Samsung i8910 HD

The saga of continually improving user firmware for the Samsung i8910 HD continues with the release a few minutes ago of HX8, rolling in, among other things, intelligent virtual keyboard/keypad rotation, portrait qwerty added, Music player now has full kinetic scrolling and is skinnable, plus more dynamic 'on the fly' interface customisation options, including changing camera codecs and browser user agents. And those are just the changes since HX7... 8-) It's a stunning update and brings the i8910 HD firmly up into contention with other 2010 large-screened smartphones. Links, changelogs, videos and screens below.

Read on in the full article.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:05 AM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
Good to see continued coverage of what could/should have been the best symbian phone to date.
And with these roms maybe it is. I almost regret selling it now just so I could try these out.
Ads

Old 08-08-2010, 04:39 AM
Nazty111

Stuff like this needs to be done for the n97!!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Unregistered

Should be possible

Well, given the HX guys l33t skillz it should be possible, esspecially in the light that Symbian^3 is open-source. The questions that remain is whether the i8910's capacitive screen can detect multi-touch, since that is requirement in Symbian^3, and if it is possible for him to write the neccessary hardware drivers for the graphics-chip and other things, since that is a requirement as well in Symbian^3.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:32 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Have put HX8 on mine. So far liking it. Zippy and surefooted, even after loading apps back on. Loving the ability to choose with 'phone' it thinks it is, Ovi Store just became so much easier! Think i'll turn 'effects' off though, whizzy transitions get boring quick.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:04 AM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
I've tried it, but unfortunately, it's pretty buggy.

I especially don't have that home screen with the cool rainbow-flamed lighter, just a white blank screen with that bottom tool bar and no shortcuts along each side.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:48 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Andy, how about giving some of your love to the Nokia phones? If you start with the n97 mini, I would love it..

Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Administrator

@jimmy1: Suspect you restored your settings? HX8 does seem to have some minor issues - see the forum - but your problem sounds more like a settings conflict.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 AM

SWR is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up i8910 HX Firmware

Flashed mine yesterday for the second time (HX-V7 2 weeks ago was the first time ever I've done anything outside of the protected Nokia & SE update regime) and it runs perfectly. Learned very quickly that the 3-D navigation is not a good choice together with the default home screen as the movable icons react after the screen swipe! Switched it off and it's great. My compliments to the guys who have done this. Looks like an open application for work at the Symbian Foundation!

Old 09-08-2010, 03:05 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the suggestion Steve.

Actually, I did a hard re-set, then re-flashed the new firmware, and it works good now.

It's pretty cool, though I still don't see the music player skinning option. It looks just like the past music player.

What I do love is the integrated conversation view messaging (why can't Nokia do this, again??) and the rotating full qwerty landscape/ T9 portrait keyboard.

Also, integrating the Sony Ericsson certificate to allow use of S-E apps is likewise cool (though S-E available 'apps' in their PlayNow store is like comparing the Sahara desert to Ovi's Nevada desert).

It's a pretty decent media device now, almost replacing an ipod if I can get around some of the player quirks. I almost wish there were a way to download Microsoft's WP7 firmware onto it (they're using the i8910 to demo their OS), so I could have a phone/Zune on this same hardware.

In fact if Hyperx could figure out a way to integrate the Rockbox player firmware (it's awesome! and open source!) into the next V9 release, it'd be spectacular. It would totally become a music player replacement.

Last edited by Jimmy1; 09-08-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:56 AM

SWR is on a distinguished road
I8910 hx v8

Steve,

I see screen Snap in your Apps screen. Is that an additional app or should that be in the standard V8 package? I haven't seen it in mine.
Is there any advice on when to have the phone identified as an N97 and when it should be an X6? If it can be identified at system level like this, can it be synced using Ovi Suite?? (Not tried it yet).

Old 11-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWR View Post
I see screen Snap in your Apps screen. Is that an additional app or should that be in the standard V8 package? I haven't seen it in mine.
Is there any advice on when to have the phone identified as an N97 and when it should be an X6? If it can be identified at system level like this, can it be synced using Ovi Suite?? (Not tried it yet).
Best Screensnap is a freeware app on the net. Google it 8-)

'X6' is best for Ovi Store use. 'N97' for iPlayer streaming use.

Haven't tried syncing with Ovi Suite - I use a Mac most of the time. Can you try and report back, please?

Old 11-08-2010, 09:19 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Haven't tried syncing with Ovi Suite - I use a Mac most of the time. Can you try and report back, please?
The answer appears to be no. Ovi Suite 2.2.0.245 does not recognise the i8910 when its pretending to be either the X6 or the N97. Even after rebooting the phone. Its asks you to plug the cable in, and then wonders why you haven't.

Samsungs PC suite continues to see the i8910, no matter what its pretending to be.

Last edited by UKJeeper; 11-08-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Thanks, noted. Good experimenting. Looks like something hard coded in Samsung's implementation of 'PC Suite' mode. Wish these manufacturers would play nice together!