All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Latest worldwide smartphone stats

Always interesting to see the latest figures coming out, this time from Gartner for Q1 2009. Nokia's market share in the smartphone world had fallen slightly, to 41%, but they still sold more devices (15 million) than the next four manufacturers put together. The 5800 in particular was pointed out as a success story. Behind Nokia in the stats were RIM with 20% of the market, and Apple at 11% with their iPhone. In terms of smartphone OS, Symbian powered just under 50% of devices sold. Comments welcome!

Read on in the full article.

Old 20-05-2009, 09:01 PM

Dynite is on a distinguished road
Go Nokia Go!

(perhaps I'm slightly biased though )

Old 20-05-2009, 09:34 PM

Jay3gsm is on a distinguished road
With such a high percentage of market domination, it naffs me off immensely that some really good apps get released first, or exclusively for other software platforms. Surely the greater success for a really good application is going to come on the platform with most users?

Old 20-05-2009, 11:27 PM
ChrisVEE

"Surely the greater success for a really good application is going to come on the platform with most users?"

Well on paper, Yes!

But in the real world it's more about which platform holds the spending power and If I'm not wrong Mac OSX does tend to lead that pack in that respect amongst other things.

All you need is to simplify the actual process of building apps, I'm not even a novice let alone an expert, but from what I can gather a lot of the apps sold on the iPhone is Webkit based and the rest?... I dunno to be honest I'm guessing built natively in whatever the language maybe.

As far as I'm concerned, Nokia need to do more. Yes, I acknowledge that they are using platforms such Beta Labs to do so but if you're going to be the market leader you have to go that one step further or sooner or later you'll fall flat on your head.

Kind of off topic this; Windows has lost its' markeet share in the PC sector because of this. Failed to innovate quickly and Mac OSX took a considerable bite out of Microsoft's market share.

Old 20-05-2009, 11:41 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
It seems obvious

That Samsung and possibly even LG will in the future (it may take a year or five) overtake Nokia, first in all handsets, then in Smartphones.

Samsung has the benefit of a more tech-savvy local market and their huge neighbours to sell to. Not to mention the production facilities are right there as well.

Nokia has a LOT riding on the 97 and the surprise package 5800.

We live in "interesting times"
Ads

Old 21-05-2009, 04:17 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
That Samsung and possibly even LG will in the future (it may take a year or five) overtake Nokia, first in all handsets, then in Smartphones.
In India, Nokia sells over any other brand available in the market and we're big enough a country to ensure Nokia's not going down anytime soon.

Last edited by Hardeep1singh; 21-05-2009 at 04:23 AM.

Old 21-05-2009, 06:05 AM

svdwal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisVEE View Post
"Surely the greater success for a really good application is going to come on the platform with most users?"

Well on paper, Yes!

But in the real world it's more about which platform holds the spending power and If I'm not wrong Mac OSX does tend to lead that pack in that respect amongst other things.
The consensus is that App Store made downloading and buying apps so simple that lots of people started downloading buying apps. Buying apps for S60 and other Symbian smartphones was never simple and it was impossible to reach huge parts of the market. Ovi is supposed to fix this.

Quote:
All you need is to simplify the actual process of building apps, I'm not even a novice let alone an expert, but from what I can gather a lot of the apps sold on the iPhone is Webkit based and the rest?... I dunno to be honest I'm guessing built natively in whatever the language maybe.
All apps in App Store are Objective-C apps. Apple's Widgets are not a big success (a complete failure, basically), which isn't good news for Nokia's Widsets either.

Quote:
Kind of off topic this; Windows has lost its' markeet share in the PC sector because of this. Failed to innovate quickly and Mac OSX took a considerable bite out of Microsoft's market share.
Windows have lost a *bit* of market share. Apple can grow it's share by a 100% and Windows has maybe lost 2 or 3 %. That happens when you command 90+% percent of the desktop OS market. Your small loss is somebody else's huge gain.

Old 21-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Unregistered

Nokia pwns everybody. Again.

Old 21-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Unregistered

Angry American Rubbish

You want to talk lonely? Try being a Nokia fan in the United States. Americans have always been laggards when it comes to Mobile technology (Byzantine networks, carriers, billing practices, PDA dominance) So I would venture that most of this loss is from U.S. residents moving from dumb phones – to "smart" phones. The problem is that Nokia has a rotten carrier presence in the biggest churning market in the world….

Somebody Friend View me….please

Old 21-05-2009, 06:49 PM

midtoad is on a distinguished road
misleading

"Nokia pwns everybody. Again."

Not so fast, mister. those stats are, of course, misleading. Sure, Nokia had 41% market share while Apple had only 11%. But Nokia's share was spread across tens or even hundreds of phone models. Apple got their 11% with just one phone model. I suspect that if the study had been done by individual phone model, Apple would be no. 1. And that's got to be troubling to Nokia.

Old 21-05-2009, 08:05 PM
bustafone

No one cares about this or this fanboys site.
Engadget, BGR FTW!

Old 22-05-2009, 10:22 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I suspect that if the study had been done by individual phone model, Apple would be no. 1. And that's got to be troubling to Nokia.
N95 alone sold more than iphone, so iphone isn't number 1. And then there's N82, 5800, N79. I guess the iFans have to realize that there's life beyond America and it buys more phones than America does.

Old 23-05-2009, 04:01 AM
Unregistered

@midtoad,
Sure apple sold 11% of the total with only one phone. But then again they also don't have the balls to come up with more devices. That'll just open up a whole can of worms for them wouldn't it? If nokia trully concentrate on just one 'perfect' phone, they'd probably still pawn everyone else just the same:-)