All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-08-2008, 06:06 PM

Ransom_nl is on a distinguished road
Video Artifacting

Hi. I've been having some problems with video playback on my Z8. First I converted a video of the tv-show Top Gear with Total Video Converter which played back beautifully. The settings I used are h264 with 384 video bitrate, 25 fps 320x240.
2 days ago I converted 2 other videos, a Southpark episode and the new James Bond trailer, with exactly the same settings. These videos suffer from severe artifacting in the form of green and pink blocks. The Top Gear video still plays back smoothly. After having installed Swiss manager, I can see that the device uses up all of its Ram during playback.
My question here is how it can happen that these videos which are encoded with the exact same settings show such different results? What can I do to overcome the artifacting issues?

Old 03-11-2008, 03:36 PM

slamm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom_nl View Post
Hi. I've been having some problems with video playback on my Z8. First I converted a video of the tv-show Top Gear with Total Video Converter which played back beautifully. The settings I used are h264 with 384 video bitrate, 25 fps 320x240.
2 days ago I converted 2 other videos, a Southpark episode and the new James Bond trailer, with exactly the same settings. These videos suffer from severe artifacting in the form of green and pink blocks. The Top Gear video still plays back smoothly. After having installed Swiss manager, I can see that the device uses up all of its Ram during playback.
My question here is how it can happen that these videos which are encoded with the exact same settings show such different results? What can I do to overcome the artifacting issues?
It is quite strange seeing as all these videos were converted with the same settings. But the only bit of advice I can think of is to deactivate the icon for swiss manager as it has been known to interfere with the playback of the default player. My playback screen went completely black. Also, try encoding to 3gp using the mp4 codec. Maybe that makes a difference.
Ads