All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-02-2010, 05:02 AM

NocturnalOne is on a distinguished road
5800: a music player that remembers where it stopped?

Hi,

one of the simplest things I enjoy in a 'real' mp3 player is that when you turn it on it resumes playing where it stopped when I turned it off the last time. I mean even the oldest mp3 player I have did this as well as the mp3-cd player in my car. With this phone being marketed as a music player I figured it would have the same basic feature but it seems that it does not. Hopefully I missed it but I'm afraid that when you exit the music player or turn of the phone it simply forgets what it was doing.

I briefly looked at Tunewiki which also doesn't do this (and it doesn't recognize the playlists that are on the device). The LCG Jukebox may do it but it's not listed as a feature so I fear it does not. I'm not willing to shell out E20 for mp3 software that really should be the shining star on this phone.

Right now I have the music player paused so tomorrow in the gym it'll pick up where it left off. I imagine people with long podcasts or audio books would really like to have the player remember where it stopped. I mean do Nokia engineers *use* they own products?

Any tips gratefully received

Thanks,

Sander

Old 23-02-2010, 05:25 PM

irfan18m is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

VALID POINT ! U've got .. i was thinking the same thing !

Its a let down if u know what i mean :(

Old 23-02-2010, 05:35 PM

Thanks for responding! I was afraid maybe I was the only one who felt this way or that I overlooked something obvious. I've not seen this topic covered at all and I've searched quite a bit. I'm new to the symbian community so it's certainly possible I didn't look in the right places or with the correct search terms.

Old 23-02-2010, 05:55 PM

Yeah... even i'm new in this forum, almost 2 weeks old, i just purchased my 5800, but i've got news for u my friend

1. Upgrade ur firmware to V.40
2. Update the python software to python 2.0

Your phone will automatically resume from wher u stopped it

All these software are available if u check for new version of firmware from ur phone and then go to the software update in the applications, go step by step as mentioned.

However my camera Zoom keys stopped responding when i try to take pictures or shoot vdo, although they work just fine in lowering the volume down during (calls,video,music) .. ive posted a thread to see if others face the same thing after updating.. but if u want ur cell to remember the last song played, and resume from it .. u just have to follow the above steps

Have fun

ps: let me know if u do and face the same issue in taking picture like me

Old 23-02-2010, 07:57 PM

Hi,

I upgraded to .40. For some reason the Ovi updater didn't give me that option so I didn't realize I wasn't running the latest/greatest. I used the process described in the tuts, very handy. Thanks for providing these! I haven't been able to upgrade Python yet. I've read several pages but haven't found the one yet that says 'here's how you check your version' and 'here's how you install'. When I run the built in software updater like the Python tutorial on this site shows it doesn't show me an update.

My music player still doesn't remember the current position so I assume my python is still 'old'.

Thanks,

Sander

Old 23-02-2010, 11:05 PM

Sweet success!

I didn't put python 2 on the phone yet but got the music player to work properly. Once the mp starts, click on Options->Goto Now playing, press Play.

Now I'm thinking the player did this in.31 already but I can't check anymore. The unfortunate thing is that now my PC won't connect using BT anymore to the phone for synching. What a pain. Luckily my headset still works.
Ads

Old 24-02-2010, 09:31 AM

redwinniw is on a distinguished road
Amazing what you can read on the web. This bugged the hell out of me. After reading this I can confirm that of you open the music player, and instead of selecting a song, go to the menu and go to now playing, it does indeed resume from where you got to.

It only remembers which song was playing though and you have to listen to it again from the begining, but at least its a start.

The real intresting bit is I am still on v3.1, but do have python v2.

Old 24-02-2010, 12:11 PM

hehehheh Success !

Old 24-02-2010, 02:15 PM

I thought .40 did remember where -in- the song it stopped but now I can't make that happen so my test must have been wonng. Still, this is pretty good.