All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-11-2010, 09:03 AM

jah is on a distinguished road
The main issue with the E7 is that Nokia are taking too long to release it. Business peeps will be moving away from the E71/2 to Android keyboard devices soon....

Old 05-12-2010, 12:08 AM

Wishmaker is on a distinguished road
My Nokia N8 has arrived. Unfortunately, the phone is in a different country and I am in England at the moment. . What is the best memory card I could get for this phone? I am looking at max capacities. Also, I am looking at a nice leather pouch, any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by Wishmaker; 05-12-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:56 AM

SnaxMuppet is on a distinguished road
Just thought I would share my experience with you all...

I bought a C7. I wanted the sleek styling and wasn't too bothered about the camera only being EDoF and 8MP. It arrived but kept hanging so eventually I hard reset it which not only didn't fix the problem but I then lost several apps that couldn't be reloaded easily (Maps, Ovi Store, Social etc). I sent it back to Nokia for a replacement which they promptly sent but that had the same probs.

While I had the C7 I tried the camera and was very disappointed. I know I said I wasn't too bothered about the camera but when I saw the quality of the C7 pics (or lack of it when zoomed in any amount) I changed my mind. So when I had to return my second C7 I got a refund instead of replacement and bought an N8 instead.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

I now wish I had simply ordered the N8 from the start. Fantastic pics, easier to handle and use as it is slightly thicker making it less fiddley... with the C7 I always felt as if I were about to drop it! I have no such trouble with the N8.

I love it and would say to anyone... only go for the C7 is you are happy never zooming in to your photos and if you have held it and are happy with a very thin device.

As for the E7... I did think about waiting for the E7 but decided that the extra size was an issue. Yes, the hardware keyboard would be night but with Swype installed the virtual keyboard works very well and I have not missed having a real keyboard at all. Again, the E7 has the same camera as the C7 so the same applies... don't expect much from your photos with the E7.

All in all I find the N8 a superb device and ideally suits me.

Good luck with yours. I don't think you will be disappointed.

BTW... if you get the restart issue that has afflicted some N8s and C7s... just send it back for a replacement. We have 2 N8s (my wife and I) and we haven't had a single restart in 3-4 weeks of continual use.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaker View Post
My Nokia N8 has arrived. Unfortunately, the phone is in a different country and I am in England at the moment. . What is the best memory card I could get for this phone? I am looking at max capacities. Also, I am looking at a nice leather pouch, any suggestions?

Thanks.
I got a 16GB Sandisk. Much better value than the 32GB so unless you need the larger one I'd go for a 16GB. I got an adapter to convert it to a normal SD card so I can use it in my laptop for quicker transfer of music etc. The adapter came with the card.

As for a pouch... I decided not to get a leather pouch this time... I have with my previous phones but this time I am giving a silicon sleeve a try as I love the styling of the N8 and don't want to hide it all the time. The sleeve is so easy to put on and remove that I don't have it on all the time... just when taking it outside... at home I use it without the sleeve. I quite like it and it is a lot cheaper! I might decide to get a leather pouch at a later date though.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:09 AM

Thanks for your reply. Are SanDisk cards fast enough for this phone? Can you playback music / films without a hitch? Also, if you want to record straight on the card, will the bandwidth suffice?

I was also thinking of a sleeve and was close in getting one until I saw the Noreve Black Traditional Case. This case is gorgeous and will hide the phone nicely . Steve had a red one for review and wasn't very pleased. Unfortunately, I saw his review after I purchased the case.
Ads

Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 AM

I have recorded plenty of video directly on the card and it records and plays back without a hitch so I can only assume that it is fine.

Interesting about the Noreve Black Traditional Case... I shall take a look

Old 09-12-2010, 07:39 PM

The Royal Mail dropped something off . To be honest, I was expecting more glamour for the price I paid. Don't get me wrong, I love how it looks but I feel it could have been better. Also, I am inclined to agree with Steve. The buckle is a major let down :(. That is not a big minus for me because I don't really use it so I will give you my final impressions.