All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-10-2010, 03:25 PM

TurtlePower is on a distinguished road
N8's Out - So Wheres the N97 Update that we have speculated over!

It's all in the title!

I dont hold out much hope of any improvements - it sounds like the N8 is a more powerful N97 with no qwerty - so little scope for improvement as the N97 hardware is cr*p.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:03 PM

jerm is on a distinguished road
ok.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:25 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
The only problems I've had with the N97 hardware is the age old camera lens and GPS reception problems (both of which were fixed for free within 2 hours at a Nokia Service Centre), most likely caused by the rush to get the phone out worldwide.

It's the software that's the problem. Sure, it's stable now (I've not had the white screen of death for months (touch wood), but it's just so sluggish! How on earth the 5800 can be so quick in comparison - with the same processor, RAM and OS - is boggling. I doubt the inclusion of the additional hardware on the N97 is enough to do all this. My bet is on the homescreen, but sadly there's no way to switch it off completely (and go to the original 5th edition one) to test that theory.

I just hope now that Nokia have a better idea how to make S^1 5th Edition work better now they've finished S^3.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 13-10-2010, 05:39 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that my N97 right now is going to be the best it's going to be. After the V21 firmware, it has been quite stable and very usable if laggy at times. I have no problem with the GPS that many other seem to have. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. The GPS worked admirably during my vacation using both Ovi Maps for navigation and Google Maps for searches. I also managed to cut down on some (not all) out of memory errors by clearing the cache on the default browser (which I hardly ever use).

In my mind, the way to get better performance out of my N97 is to upgrade to a different phone. I am currently unwilling to do so as I have spent quite a bit of time and effort configuring my N97 and want to reap the benefits of that effort a little more first. I do have my eye on a couple of replacement candidates, and am waiting for them to be released and reviewed before upgrading.

Old 13-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
I wish I got 1 for each time your post was moderated lol. No idea why its picking on you.

Old 13-10-2010, 09:21 PM

boothy is on a distinguished road
I am on a vodafone tariff so I am still waiting for V22 - Its been so long now that I presume vodafone like a lot of people found it buggy so therefore simply buried it.

Boothy

Old 13-10-2010, 11:16 PM

fatty5000 is on a distinguished road
Well I finally did it....................

It's sat in the kitchen looking like a ginger step kid.

I now have a HTC desire, which has completely blown me away, it's a smart smart phone unlike my next to useless N97.

Until nokia do something (I'm not sure what though) I'll not consider them in future, and I was what most would calll a fanboy.

If you specfics as why the 97 was pooh please ask and I'll tell, but I think most reading this know already whats inherintly wrong with them.

Old 14-10-2010, 11:20 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtlePower View Post
It's all in the title!

I dont hold out much hope of any improvements - it sounds like the N8 is a more powerful N97 with no qwerty - so little scope for improvement as the N97 hardware is cr*p.
Don't hold your breath on that one TurtlePower.

I get the feeling that Nokia will be a liitle bit busy sorting out Symbian^3 on the N8 for awhile.

Old 14-10-2010, 06:02 PM

TurtlePower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Don't hold your breath on that one TurtlePower.

I get the feeling that Nokia will be a liitle bit busy sorting out Symbian^3 on the N8 for awhile.
Yep i think your right there - i think they know that the time and effort to improve a phone people dont want is a waste of time for them now - the N95 was improved time and again partly because it still had a good reputation and was still selling.

With phones like the HTC Desire that are similarly priced and unbelievably better at everything (Wife has one) getting Symbian^3 out and working well is a pretty big drama for them - at the minute the've been left for dead at the top end.

I had the GPS and Camera Lens issue but my biggest gripe of all is the Nokia Software only installing to the C: drive issue.

That above all else winds me up!!! 32gb storage that any other piece of software will install to but not Nokia - its not like they manufacture the device is it? Wait they do!!!!!!

Old 19-10-2010, 10:32 AM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Mods - This needs moving back to the N97 forum where like the N97 itself it can wither and die.

There will be no V30 update well not for some time if ever, as I posted some months ago as they quite clearly abandonned this device some many months ago (it must be one of the shortest production runs for a flagship ever) whilst they desperately fling resources at maaikng the still-shoddy-after-all-this-time S3 actually work unlike S1 and try to get S4 programmed so they don't fall even futher behind.

I think we can add the N97 to the N96 as the second crap flagship phone in a row then swept unsder the carpet by Nokia, will the current S3 batch fare betterr? I think not, judging by CPW shop displays I've seen recently there's no push to move it, HTC and other Android + Blackberries and Apples getting much more space that's before wall of cash MSft is about to throw at promoting WinPho. S3 looks and indeed is boring next door to these and is going to sink below the surface at which point Nokia will abandon it too.

The take-away from this - Nokia flagships are unreliable behind the times and unsupported inside a year. Compared to the rest of the market they're just not in the game.