All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Richard_Bloor is on a distinguished road
Symbian Delivers Carbide.ui 3.0, Nokia plugs-in

Can’t wait to get your hands on a Nokia N8? Why not while away the time before you can lighten you bank balance by creating your dream theme. Carbide.ui Theme Edition 3.0 has been released on the Symbian Foundation website, offering the final version of the tools for creating Symbian^3 device themes.

Read on in the full article.

Old 16-07-2010, 03:26 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Why can't they pack it in to a proper installer after adding all important plug-ins? With all the 'shine' related flak Nokia/Symbian have been getting lately, they should improve their ways.

Kudos for delivering the new app though. The previous version started looking old and dated.

Old 16-07-2010, 05:48 AM
dhanusaud

wrong plugins

plugins you mentioned are not correct plugin as there is no such plugins released for carbide.ui 3.0.
afaik they are under development process.

dhanusaud

Old 16-07-2010, 10:28 AM

brendand is on a distinguished road
Hi Richard,

It's quite common to put downloads behind a sign-in. Nokia do it, Apple do it, we do it. It's probably there because otherwise it wouldn't be with all the other tools. I'll pass the feedback on though and see what people think.

As for why it doesn't show up in the search, I'll try to find out why. However, the first result in the list for 'Carbide.ui' is the 'Ui' page which contains a direct link to the download page.

Old 16-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanusaud View Post
plugins you mentioned are not correct plugin as there is no such plugins released for carbide.ui 3.0.
afaik they are under development process.

dhanusaud
No they are the right plug-ins and they are available now from Forum Nokia, they were published on 14 July. The official FN page is here: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...0_Plugins.html

Old 16-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

Installer

It doesn't come with an installer because it's Eclipse (which doesn't either) - it's assumed you're pretty capable with using a computer in the first place. Sony Ericsson's theme editor used to be a lot easier to use on the other hand.

IMHO the fact it runs from a single location (except for the JVM) is a good thing. I'd rather have the "difficulty" of unzipping a folder than having an installer spread stuff everywhere and not know what is where.

Old 16-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
it's assumed you're pretty capable with using a computer in the first place.
And this is the problem - while there are no figures on the downloads of Carbide.ui from FN/Symbian, if you look at sites that have cloned Carbide.ui downloads the numbers are significant. Way beyond the numbers that would support a pure "developer" interest in the tool and creating themes.

So, on SF Carbide.ui has moved from a end-user tool to a product development tool and the packaging reflects that.

Imagine if Symbian could claim 100,000 downloads for Carbide.ui - what would that say about the platform?

I don't think Eclipse is the best model - take a look as Aptana, you get two choices: an Eclipse plug-in (for those who want to control how the tool sits on their PC and don't expect it to nicely pop up with an icon in their start menu) and a fully packaged installer (for those who don't want or care about the technicalities of the installation and just want to run the tool).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
IMHO the fact it runs from a single location (except for the JVM) is a good thing.
Ironically the package includes the JVM, so is unfortunately not avoiding the problem of "spreading stuff everywhere".

Unfortunately, neither fish nor fowl.
Ads

Old 19-07-2010, 10:35 PM
UnregisterX400

Thanks for this

Thanks for posting this it will give me something to do until the N8 comes out

I don't know why people cry about the UI when we can customize them!!