All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Review: HandyPaint

We've all seen the semi-viral videos, where someone (apparently) knocks up a faux-impressionist masterpiece using nothing more than a smartphone touchscreen. It may be that I simply don't have the talent, but I'm a little sceptical, given the sizes of phone screens. Mind you, with software like HandyPaint, reviewed here for S60 5th Edition and UIQ 3, at least the tools are there to get close to the picture in your imagination. HandyPaint is something of a labour of love and it shows - it's not perfect, but is powerful and still improving.

Read on in the full article.

Old 14-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Unregistered

"It may be that I simply don't have the talent, but I'm a little sceptical, given the sizes of phone screens"

Erm?

http://www.allaboutiphone.net/2009/0...eview-brushes/

Yes, maybe you don't have the talent? Or maybe it's the screen tech used, uh oh......

Old 14-07-2010, 11:41 AM

ratza is on a distinguished road
Why do all iPhone users feel the need to brag about anything on their phones? Are you that frustrated? Y'all behave like kids, "my dad can kick your dad" style.

Old 14-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Brody

I don't think that was Unregisterds point, I think their issue was with Steve dismissing the fact that great work can be created on a small screen, hence why they quoted that part? Maybe it's you who has the problem with the iPhone and that's why you immediately jumped to that bit?

Just my 2 cents,

Brody

Old 14-07-2010, 11:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratza View Post
Why do all iPhone users feel the need to brag about anything on their phones? Are you that frustrated? Y'all behave like kids, "my dad can kick your dad" style.
Lol such fanboyism, I don't even own an iPhone, have a stupid cheap Nokia 5800 because I couldn't afford an iPhone at the time and thought it was the next best thing.

Cheers Brody that was my point, the way Steve dismisses anything that's not pro Nokia :-/

"Oh yes no one can create art on this rubbish resistive screen with childish paint apps therefore it must be impossible"

I used the iPhone as an example as Google gave me that one first :-/

Old 14-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Oh, I'll absolutely agree that painting software on the iPhone is a generation more advanced than Handypaint here.

But, despite the pretty iPhone examples, I stand by what I said. Really great paintings don't really happen on computers, let alone phone screens.

And original computer imagery/art creation for web site use etc is nearly always done on desktops with digitisers and the like....

Even on an iPhone, creating serious art that's bigger than screen resolution is a huge endeavour.

Old 14-07-2010, 03:10 PM

maartenmk is on a distinguished road
For computer-painting, a resistive screen is actually much better than a capacative one. Firstly, it allows for stylus use, with obvious advantages, and secondly, it supports pressure-sensitivity.
For some pretty impressive examples made with the free (!) Mypaint on the N900, look here.

I agree about the screen size, although you can zoom and rotate with mypaint. But what smartphones have as an advantage over desktop computers is the touchscreen, meaning you actually draw on screen, rather than on a touch tablet.

Old 14-07-2010, 03:18 PM
kalel17

f

i hope no1 here is saying that a capacitive screen is better at painting that resistive. @steve creating art larger than the phone's native resolution is much easier on a resistive than a capacitive. Resistives are better at painting because a fine point pen can be used as a drawing imlement, making tiny details without zooming.

have a look at this video clip from the n900 http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=89924

Old 14-07-2010, 06:06 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
I think I'd still prefer using XpressSketch (python app) on my N97.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 15-07-2010, 10:16 AM

Dynite is on a distinguished road
That Brushes app looks fab.

Old 18-07-2010, 12:25 PM

MemphisX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by maartenmk View Post
For computer-painting, a resistive screen is actually much better than a capacative one. Firstly, it allows for stylus use, with obvious advantages, and secondly, it supports pressure-sensitivity.
For some pretty impressive examples made with the free (!) Mypaint on the N900, look here.

I agree about the screen size, although you can zoom and rotate with mypaint. But what smartphones have as an advantage over desktop computers is the touchscreen, meaning you actually draw on screen, rather than on a touch tablet.
I second that and I might add that if someone is really talented then nothing is impossible. He can create and express himself on whatever device he can.

Have a look at that guy on N900...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66RBfrBgL2E

Not everyone is meant to make a difference.
But for me the choice to live an ordinary life is no longer an option.

If there was no GOD it would be neccessary to invent him.