All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-08-2009, 07:43 PM

discoian is on a distinguished road
Google Apps?

Hello folks,

I've recently sidegraded over from a HTC Magic Google edition, the battery life was just too pants for me.

Anyway, I seek Google sync'ing nirvana on my new N85 but have hit a few stumbling blocks.

I cannot access my apps mail account through IMAP, If I try to set up the mailbox, imap is not an option just Nokia E-mail and Nokia E-mail Service. What happened to POP3 and IMAP4???

Secondly, I cannot access my apps account via the browser, just doesn't accept the password. And if I download the java client, it doesn't accept the password either.

I've checked out Googasync which sounds like a good calendar option, but what about contacts as well?

Are there any must have apps I need to get to sort this out???

TIA!

Old 11-08-2009, 08:52 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Gmail

Do you get in the browser a blank page after login ? That what's happening in my E90 for ages . After installing the free third party browser Opera Mini (JAVA based) no problem to browse my gmail . Also iGoogle I use everyday in OM . Recommended !
http://mini.opera.com
Steve Litchfield uses the JAVA-based Gmail client "every day on every Nokia" . He leaves the app constanly open . This allmost works like Push email .
Did you enter btw your username including @gmail.com ?

Regards jApi NL

Old 12-08-2009, 05:25 AM

discoian is on a distinguished road
Well, the thing is, as I use google apps for domains, I don't have an @gmail.com address but rather my own domain.

I guess I should really use Google Sync through the Exchange system, that theoretically should work with the S60 but my initial findings are ZERO!

Hmm..

Old 12-08-2009, 10:46 AM

mcsleazycrisps is on a distinguished road
The Google GMail application for my N85 can access my Google Apps mail account no problem.. You just need to set up another account and enter your full e-mail address and password.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:09 PM

ziggyball is on a distinguished road
The set up for IMAP/POP mailboxes are still there. Go to the messaging settings and add a new email mailbox - You then get the user friendly options of "Nokia e-mail" and "Nokia Email Service".

The IMAP/POP mailboxes are now set up under "Nokia e-mail" and the (shudder!) nokia messaging client is configured using "Nokia Email Serivce"

Nokia in their wisdom have broken the IMAP implementation in the N85 so it no longer stays connected to the mailbox in the background to get email "pushed" via IMAP-IDLE. So you have to rely on the checking interval (which works ok in the latest v30 firmware). I can't believe other people aren't moaning about this downgrade - I can't believe I was only person to make use of it with my N95/E61i etc...

but hey there are lots of improvements with the N85 and overall I think it's a great phone!

Old 16-08-2009, 10:34 AM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Take a look at Profimail. It costs about $20 but it's the best email client on S60. It will allow full IMAP Idle too, by which I mean it will actually download your messages push-style, not just tell you they are there and then download them when you try to open.

You will find Profimail at www.lonelycatgames.com

I am not affialted with LCG in any way but it I have been a happy user of Profmail for a year or so now.

Old 17-08-2009, 10:11 PM

ziggyball is on a distinguished road
Yep, good call. I have previously installed this and it's a great app.

I dont know... I just have a belief that the inbuilt email client on any phone is as important as any other core component such as call-setup, txting etc... The native email and web browser clients in s60 need a damn good polish - whilst keeping them simple, elegant and easy to use!

I suppose one good thing is you have the *option* to install profmail and opera-mini
Ads