All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-09-2006, 04:30 PM

pjhaas is on a distinguished road
Clicking on hyperlink in e-mail E61

At this moment I'm useing WLAN to connect my Nokia E61 to the internet. I use to inbuilt e-mail application to check for e-mail and the Nokia browser for surfing the web. This all works perfectly. When I start a web or e-mail session the phone prompts me and asks me how to connect.

However, if I click on a hyperlink in an e-mail message the phone tries to connect to a T-Mobile GPRS connection, which I don't have (I have T-Mobile but no GPRS dataplan). I have read the manual 3 times already and can't figure out how I can make the phone connect to WLAN automatically or prompt me to make a choice, when opening the browser from the e-mail message application. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ads

Old 06-09-2006, 05:09 PM

elp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhaas
However, if I click on a hyperlink in an e-mail message the phone tries to connect to a T-Mobile GPRS connection, which I don't have (I have T-Mobile but no GPRS dataplan). I have read the manual 3 times already and can't figure out how I can make the phone connect to WLAN automatically or prompt me to make a choice, when opening the browser from the e-mail message application. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
This behaviour is caused by the fact that when you click on a link in an email, the phone launches the "Services" application, which is the old web and wap browser, instead of launching the "Web" apllication which is the web browser that you're using. So your Services application must be configured to use the gprs access point by default. You can change that by going to the menu, launching "Services" and setting the proper access point in its settings (or choosing "always ask")

Old 06-09-2006, 07:13 PM

pjhaas is on a distinguished road
Thanks! Although I could not find 'Services' in the Menu, I understood the logic. I went to Tools --> Settings --> Connection --> Access Points. There I deleted the 'T-Mobile GPRS' and 'T-Mobile Internet' access points. Now when I click on a link in an e-mail it connects to WLAN.. and fires up the Webbowser. . It works, but is this the best way to do this?