All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-03-2005, 12:08 PM

mayaank is on a distinguished road
Internet Connection via WiFi sans IP-Passthrough

Hello friends,

I was part of the frantic search for the IP-Passthrough drivers and HyPer was kind enough to send through link for downloading it...and then another fellow member was kind enough to mail the instructions as well.

All this so that the 9500 could connect to the Internet through my computer's connection...... what was missing was the fact that I was connecting to the net via a CDMA mobile and unfortunately the NEtwork Bridge solution with IP Passthrough ONLY supports 9500's access to the net if the computer is connected to the net via a LAN connection!!!!! and that too ONLY when the data cable is tied between the computer and the 9500!!!! Now that indeed was a very limiting scenario.....so I decided to go back to the basics and here is what WORKED for me! Try it guys as it is barely a 5 minute recent success and still may not be everything we ever wanted but it sure is a start!

To put it in a nut shell, the solution is to go forward in EXACTLY the same way as you would if you had a PC with a WiFi port, and it was connected to the net through ANY connection (except ofcourse the WiFi - in which case the 9500 would connect too!!); by any connection I mean dial-up, DSL, CDMA mobile or ANY other connection to the net. Follow the steps....:

1. Simply activate the connection sharing in Win XP (I have SP2 as well) for your internet connection...such as the dial-up.
2. Next, just configure a static IP for the WiFi port on your comp with an internal IP

Now coming to the 9500,

1. Go to the Control Panel and in the Wireless Lan section look for an AdHoc network......then create an Access Point for this AdHoc network.
2. In the control panel itself, go to the Internet setup and you will see the new access point you just created.....get into its "Edit" mode and go ahead and assign a static IP with the same subnet as you had in your comp's wifi port(ofcourse you would if you were setting up an ad-hoc n/w of 2 comps!!). Then specify the Proxy as well to point to the IP address of the computer.
3. Put in your DNS server entry(probably the one provided by your ISP)
4. Save and exit from the control panel.

Now......invoke the web and try going to any web address. You will be asked for the connection to use - specify Easy Ad Hoc WLAN. It will again ask you for the access point to use - with the option showing you the new access point you had created - select it and you are connected to the net!!

I have managed to browse, check mails and update the currencies and weather in my Worldmate installation.......so I guess this should work for you all for most applications!

All success to you!

regards,

Mayank

Old 08-03-2005, 03:39 PM

RickyTec is on a distinguished road
I tried and couldn't do it...

My PC is using an ADSL connection, maybe that's the problem!

well, just have to wait for another driver, I guess!

Anyway, thanks mayaank and Hyper for the help!

Old 08-03-2005, 04:07 PM

philF is on a distinguished road
Hi Mayaank

I gave this a go because I thought it would be very useful. Unfortunately I can't get it too work!

Basically I often need to Sync lots of users Lotus Notes for testing purposes. At the minute I just use GPRS and IP passthrough (via cable) for the odd phone.

I thought if I used the wireless card on my laptop I could use that to connect many phones at the same time and Sync them without the GPRS bill!! Sounds like a good idea doesn't it

The only difference between us is that I am on a corporate network with it's own IP range. Shouldn't matter really though should it? I am domain admin and can assign my own statics etc etc and have access to all proxy servers etc so no problem there.

The problem I have is I have shared out my wireless connection, I have ran the Windows XP network wizard and created a network called nokia9500 BUT i cannot see this network from the phone and therefore cannot create an access point to it

Any ideas?

regs

Phil

Old 08-03-2005, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philF

The only difference between us is that I am on a corporate network with it's own IP range. Shouldn't matter really though should it? I am domain admin and can assign my own statics etc etc and have access to all proxy servers etc so no problem there.

The problem I have is I have shared out my wireless connection, I have ran the Windows XP network wizard and created a network called nokia9500 BUT i cannot see this network from the phone and therefore cannot create an access point to it

Phil
Phil - you say "shared out the wireless connection!!!! Please dont do that! Instead just share THE connection on your computer which actually connects your PC with the internet. In XP it will then ask you for the "Internal Network" during the sharing process and you have to tell your comp that your internal network is on the wireless connection. Then go to your TCP/IP properties of the wireless network and assign any static IP to it.

Furthermore - and this was one stepped(important) that I skipped in my explanation earlier, while setting the properties of the wireless card, there will be a tab saying "Wireless networks" - add an ad hoc network in there in the "Preferred Networks" with any SSID so that now your comp will attempt to connect to ad hoc networks as well.

Now when you browse your 9500 in it's Networks, you will be able to see under the "AD Hoc" networks the SSID that you set in your computer!!! I guess you will be able to do the rest with the steps I suggested.....

.....and PLEASE dont use the XP wizard

....and RickyTec - sorry I skipped an important step of the setup as without it, the 9500 will simply not be able to detect any networks to connect to!! But it doesnt matter if you are using DSL - simply enable ICS( Internet Connection Sharing" from the properties and you can follow through with the rest of the steps....

regards,

Mayank

Old 08-03-2005, 04:47 PM

TheJoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by philF
Hi Mayaank

I gave this a go because I thought it would be very useful. Unfortunately I can't get it too work!

Basically I often need to Sync lots of users Lotus Notes for testing purposes. At the minute I just use GPRS and IP passthrough (via cable) for the odd phone.

I thought if I used the wireless card on my laptop I could use that to connect many phones at the same time and Sync them without the GPRS bill!! Sounds like a good idea doesn't it

Any ideas?

regs

Phil
Hmmm... didn't think of Proxy, must try that too... Problem with my network is that I can't actvate ICS...

Anyhoooo

philF, you don't have to be able to view the wireless connection to create a new one. Just go to internet setup and click "new" and manually fill in the details.
It seems like the 9500 will only display networks that broadcast the SSID, thus I can't automatically see my home network...

Old 08-03-2005, 05:05 PM

philF is on a distinguished road
Got it working...............SWEET!!! Just needed to use Ad hoc network!!!

Thanks

Phil
Ads

Old 08-03-2005, 10:08 PM

MiLyAnI is on a distinguished road
i do what you said but it's not working
i have this ereeor

Internet
Could not connect to the specified server.

Old 09-03-2005, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLyAnI
i do what you said but it's not working
i have this ereeor

Internet
Could not connect to the specified server.
MilyAni - please check if you have shared the Internet connection on your comp - also for more specific advice, please give details of your system configuration and what you are attempting. Are you able to establish the WiFi connection between the 9500 & your comp? Are you setting the IP addresses correctly so that both your comp & 9500 are part of the same n/w...I mean IP range and subnet mask?

rgds, Mayank

Old 09-03-2005, 07:15 PM

ok i have wirless conection in my home a Router
from the Control Pnael i see my Wirless Network i make acsses piont
then i go the web and connect but i get this problem
also I'm using DHCP

Old 10-03-2005, 05:36 AM

thanx
i found same of my problem
http://allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31700