All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-07-2010, 11:04 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Nick View Post
I'm hoping for Symbian^3 features to be ported in v30 as well. I would love to see multiple homescreens but i would be happy with a one touch ui.
It's possible that little changes like those will make their way to the N97 (one-touch ui more than multiple homescreens). Whether or not Nokia will do that... only time will tell.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 05-07-2010, 11:26 AM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Not going to happen.

The reason the N97 is taking so long to fix after the New Year burst is most likely (definitely) all of Nokia's spare programmer capacity has been diverted to making S^3 work which is horribly (in marketing timing terms) overdue and is throwing out their marketing timings campaigns etc. before they have to ditch it and start plugging S^4 - the bulk of Nokia's programming force I believe is and has been for many months (which is why S60v5/S^1/S^2 were so slow to be fixed) working on S^4 with only a small task force fixing S60V5 and working on getting S^3 out the door which I believe they thought would be easier or they would get more external inputs (from other manfs - who seem to have dropped Symbian now) to help them get it done and they could concentrate on the major rebuild for S^4. Subsequently S^3 has turned out to be trickier to fix I believe and not being able to afford another N97 like software disaster they've had to fling all available resources into getting it fixed hence why the N97maintenance has fallen by the wayside.

Because this firmware doesn't properly address the major N97 flaw the C:. I've been waiting for ages for a firmware that would include one of the Ovi Maps with free nav into the firmware as I spend every week scraping along with minimal (<8MB) C: capacity having to regularly clear the Web cache etc. Therefore I was really pleased to hear about the new firmware incorporating Maps except it turns out to be maps 3.03 not 3.04, now I know it takes some weeks /months forwards planning for a firmware release but 3.04 must have been out of beta for nearly 2 months now and it works a lot better I gather in terms of accuracy (frankly turn-by-turn is useless on my N97 as it's always so far behind or so inaccurate as to be continually redrawing (I had to turn it off the other day on a motorway as it constantly had me travelling in the wrong direction). Not only that 3.03 keeps pestering to be upgraded. I can't believe that prior to fixing the firmware they must have known 3.04 was going to be out of beat imminently after all 2 months would seem a sufficient time to test it's incorporation and it must've been very nearly out of beta when they fixed the firmware.

Another Nokia nice idea shitty execution after all all I need is to free up C: is to get Nokia messaging messages stored on E:, Working Ovi maps in firmware and I'll probably have to lose Quickoffice (which I paid for but don't really use and takes 6MB but not Nokia's prob though why Quickoffice are moving away from Symbian) Oh and get the other Nokia social apps off C: onto E:. I can't see how it's that tough. I really really thought they would have fixed it this time but no I should have known really, I'm not asking for any new features at all just a phone that works stably after all this time. At least I'm reading that they may have improved the dropped phone calls issue somewhat so I may bother loading it up and going through the pain of a reset. But what a missed opportunity again. I don't want or expect S^3 features I just want a fixed final firmware whilst I have to live out the rest of my time with this phone.

Does anyone really trust them to get S^3 right given their persistent and repeated foul ups and disorganisation and silly silly errors on the N97 OS?

Old 05-07-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
Well, sometimes when I change from my homescreen to the menu or an application running in the background, a dot very similar to these appear in the same place on my own screen. There's only the one, not three, which suggests the current software might already support multiple homescreens...
Just a quick update on the mysterious dot. I've just seen it again! I was just playing Mario Galaxy 2 when I heard a beep and saw a white light in the corner of my eye... I turned and saw that my phone had (for some reason) restarted itself. I let it boot up and a couple of minutes later I picked it up and saw a "System failure" message faintly visible on the screen. I say faintly, because the screen had locked in this time. That's when I saw the dot, right in the middle at the bottom, where the same dots are on the N8's S^3 OS.

Sadly, when I unlocked the phone to try to get a screen capture of it, the bottom bar changed from three boxes (with the dot in the middle one) to just two and the dot disappeared. If I see this again, I'm going to get a camera and take a photo so I can prove it.

I'm currently switching my phone off/on to see if I can get it back...

[EDIT] Nope it hasn't come back I'm afraid. I never thought I'd be disappointed not to see the system failure message haha!

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Last edited by zxon; 05-07-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:20 PM

bone_collector is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post
Because this firmware doesn't properly address the major N97 flaw the C:.

Another Nokia nice idea shitty execution after all all I need is to free up C: is to get Nokia messaging messages stored on E:, Working Ovi maps in firmware and I'll probably have to lose Quickoffice (which I paid for but don't really use and takes 6MB but not Nokia's prob though why Quickoffice are moving away from Symbian) Oh and get the other Nokia social apps off C: onto E:. I can't see how it's that tough. I really really thought they would have fixed it this time but no I should have known really, I'm not asking for any new features at all just a phone that works stably after all this time. At least I'm reading that they may have improved the dropped phone calls issue somewhat so I may bother loading it up and going through the pain of a reset. But what a missed opportunity again. I don't want or expect S^3 features I just want a fixed final firmware whilst I have to live out the rest of my time with this phone.

I hear you bro ! And I share the feeling too.

I'd recommend considering the following
Pimp Juice Plus

It worked for me. It does some basic changes. The good thing is that you don't need to hack your phone or install cooked firmwares. It's just a simple sis app. Sign it and install it. It frees up quite a bit of your C drive by moving the browser cache to E:. This also ensures that your C: does not fill up again.

Before I installed this I had to hard reset my phone every month. But since this, I have not needed to do that for the last 3 months. And the phone is still doing fine.

So give it a shot.

Hope it works for you.

Cheers.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:52 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
I can see only one minor drawback after visiting the link mentioned and then registering for the download...

it refuses to install every version I've tried.

It states, "Unable to install a protected application from an untrusted supplier".

Old 09-07-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
It states, "Unable to install a protected application from an untrusted supplier".
I get the same problem

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 09-07-2010, 06:59 PM

edie209 is on a distinguished road
I installed pimp juice a while back no problem on V21.

But as I have posted V22 I'm having all sorts of problems so I'm working my way through Pimp Juice don't seem to be causing the problem though

Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edie209 View Post
I installed pimp juice a while back no problem on V21.
I don't know how you did it then.

I've tried:
  • Installing the file straight to the phone
  • Signing the file and installing
  • Unsigning and installing
  • Unsigning, resigning, and installing

All of these fail in one way, shape, or form

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 10-07-2010, 05:55 PM

edie209 is on a distinguished road
Do you know, all I did was sign it using signSISigui and installed it. The file name is s60V5 Pimp Juice Plus 8 v9 For N97 & N97 Mini and the date is 27/05/2010 23:03 and its 15.6KB. I still have the unsigned version

Old 02-10-2010, 07:06 PM

So, when are we gonna get v30 for N97?

It's been almost a year since we got v20 and, since then, we've only had two minor updates. The 5800, however, has had two major updates in the same time frame, as well as a couple of minor updates.

So much for the "we'll keep the updates coming" promise from Nokia.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Ads

Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 PM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
What makes you think there will be a v3.0?

dog-man

Old 03-10-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
What makes you think there will be a v3.0?
What makes you think there won't be??

The N97 is only about a year old, and there're still issues that need to be resolved with it. It's been pretty stable since v22 came out, but it's still hideously sluggish. Nokia need to take care of that problem, especially when the 5800 - with the same CPU, RAM and OS - operates much quicker.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 03-10-2010, 04:11 PM

I have no idea if there will be any more updates or not. I was just wondering if you have any firm evidence that more will be coming.

dog-man

Old 03-10-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
I have no idea if there will be any more updates or not. I was just wondering if you have any firm evidence that more will be coming.
Ahh right Nah, no evidence other than the fact the N97 needs it.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 03-10-2010, 05:35 PM

It certainly does!

dog-man