All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-07-2010, 11:02 AM

fatty5000 is on a distinguished road
V.22.0.110 out for UK unbranded

Just running it now

Lets see if this makes the handset any better.

Although there is an old saying "you can't polish a turd"

Can somebody tell me the best to install, i.e. hard reset, update etc etc.

I'd like to dump everything and start from fresh if possible

Old 28-07-2010, 11:27 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
You didn't state which phone. i'm assuming you mean the N97?

Old 28-07-2010, 11:40 AM

Yeah N97 lol

Old 28-07-2010, 12:29 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
I've just noticed this myself. Spotted it OTA so gonna run a backup and install the update now. Let's see how it goes...

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 28-07-2010, 01:41 PM

moph_dog is on a distinguished road
not out for white UK N97 unbranded (Product Code 0587240)

tried OTA, Ovi Suite and checking on the nokia website

Should have probably done that before the hard reset and Formatting Mass Memory, especially as the white is normally a week behind the black...

Old 30-07-2010, 08:14 AM

jerm is on a distinguished road
strange as to the slow release...or maybe...normal for the UK to get the slow release?

i just flashed a custom firmware in. definitely looks better heheh. restoring stuff to it now and loading with the usual stuff before i can come to a conclusion if it's better or not

Old 03-08-2010, 08:45 AM

moph_dog is on a distinguished road
Have now updated OTA, and it hasn't crashed when replying to a text! Yet...

I'd say high hopes for this f/w, but the N97 thus far has taught me that raised expectations = disappointment so I will say "Tentatively moderate hopes for this f/w"

Now if there were a Nokia Care point within 20 miles of here I could see about getting my lens cover replaced
Ads

Old 03-08-2010, 11:17 AM

It's still crap tbh.

I went to reply to a text last night and the phone locked whilst stuck vibrating.

I still have to pull the battery every so often.

UK unbranded is always a few weeks later than everyone else. Don't know why exactly.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Updated couple of weeks ago (to 22.0.110..C01.01 custom vers) and to be honest in terms of the actual release it has perormed worse than V2.1 for me. However on v2.1 I was down to regularly running with under 5MB on C: and so the inclusion of Maps into the firmware has made a great deal of difference to my C:

Loaded up the new firmware with full hard reset both before and after installation and performing nothing other than a back up to micro sd card prior to resets (removed during resets) and restoring only contacts, calendar etc and NOT settings and not reformatting the E:. I'm a user of Nokia messaging and after reinstalling that (plus messages) I had just over 36MB on C: a big improvement.

A few observations since I've been running it (since c.12/07); Firstly it's a lot less stable than v2.1 was for me (despite running with such limited C and on v2.2 I must be getting a lock up nearly once a day with me having to pull the battery about three times a week, way over my experience with v2.1. Next sadly the in-call reliability has not improved at all for me, I must still lose about 50% of calls that last longer than 5mins (I live in a marginal 3g signal spot in London and I believe the N97 has problems when it loses 3g signal and has to hand off to GPRS etc especially if it happens to be exchanging data when it does ie polling for or receiving email and it drops the voice connection) so no improvement there for me. I cannot understand why both the latest OVI Maps and latest Messaging client as both services keep nagging me to update to the latest version when I fire them up and I'm not going to do that as I don't want to install anything that In know will take up any space on C: having had 3 months pain in the arse micro managing my C: on a daily basis - I have also forgone my paiod for version of Quickoffice for the same reason (money wasted) and a couple of other of interesting releases for exactly the same reason just because I want the bloody thing to work each day every day finally (fat chance). On which topic there still seems to be some memory leak either in Messaging or somewhere else as my C: is now down to 31.8MB after clearing web cache and has been decreeting at about 1MB a week, something I think I experienced in V2.1 but was less obvious as installed Ovi Maps 3.03 and quickoffice both of which went on C: as well as some other Nokia progs.

So hoping for a stability fix in V30 if there ever is one (not that hopeful personally given N97's track history and current installed base) and a fix for the persistent memory leak. Just for a laugh I'd like to see if Nokia can ever actaully get this phone to work reliably before the end of it's life. I really don't want any more new features and am now resigned to forgoing the features that were promised but never delivered but I would like it to work without crashing. As if

Interesting to note some of the most ardent Nokia enthusiasts and apologists on this forum are now evangelising their new iPhones and Android handsets, especially Android. Those same who used to flame my posts criticising the very poor reliability and usability of the N97 and said we needed to give Nokia a chance and it wasn't so bad and really there wasn't anything better now can't stop praising the flexibility and usefulness of Android (and iOS). Meanwhile I, as I knew I would be, am still plodding on hoping for Nokia to finally fix their orphaned flagship that cost 500GBP whilst my contract continues, which is why I was so critical of the blatantly obvious flaws of the N97 in the first place and couldn't understand why so many others kept making allowances and excuses for it. I of course can see now that it is as I said at the time that they had no experience outside of Nokia and Symbian and had not seen how a properly implemented smartphone OS on fit-for-purpose hardware can make a quantum difference to the ownership experience. Oh well looks like Nokia has lost even these apologists and yet is still stuck with me

Old 03-08-2010, 11:34 PM

Just about sums it nicely for me as well there mate.

I am counting the days until the 26th September, I can get a HTC Desire then.

Nokia have lost me after about 10 years of phones. I need something that works as phone first, which this doesn't

Old 10-08-2010, 03:23 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Couple of other Easter Eggs for me in v22

1) The Vibration alert keeps cutting out randomly often for days at a time (including the haptic feedback). Of course could be a hardware problem but has not been dropped (except onto desk maybe) and usually it's a pretty resilient mechanism in most handsets. Ironically in v21 it used to jam up with the vibro stuck on - it's the unexpectedness and creativity of the N97's faults you just gotta admire.

2) Nokia Messaging now no longer talks to the Cam app so can't send pics direct hav e to go to Nokia Messaging email and add them as an attachment not the end of the world but classic Symbian "fiddlyness" - why use one key storke when 20 will do. It also no longer speaks to Web so can't send any links from the browser as it has no cut and paste either. And (I think we can see the link here) it's no longer giving any alerts for new emails (ie it's not talking to the sound alert prog) which is a bit of a pest esp as the vibro's broken. I suspect that with the inclusion of this version into the firmware something was forgotten that had been changed as a new version of Messaging was out when this older version was built into the firmware (in fact the reverse of more stability building firmwares with more mature versions). I could of course download the new version (10.2) as Messaging keeps n agging me to do (again why was this not built into the firmware release) but it will take up more of my precious and still diminishing C: . I suspect this could fix it but am I willing to give up an unknown amount of C: (anywhere between 2 and 9MB I suspect depending on what it does with the old message files) ? If it's worse case scenario then I'm starting to be back in the same boat as I was for the previous 3 moths.

What on Earth will I do when I've got a phone that just works - how boring will that be the novelty and originality of the N97 and SF^2's failings always keep me on my toes. It's like a mobile game in itself. The SIMS N97 "Can you keep it running" the ultimate in MOBILE games.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post
Easter Eggs for me in v22

More like dog eggs ...........

Old 21-08-2010, 06:48 AM

Idle Mind is on a distinguished road
Just a heads up to those on 3 - also been released for us now, which is amazingly fast considering how long it took them to do the last update!
I've installed it, can't really tell any difference to be honest, only had it on 2 days but not had any crashes, lockups etc. Mine was relatively stable before though with only the very occasional need to restart and hardly ever resorted to pulling the battery.

Old 21-08-2010, 11:39 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Yeah I couldn't tell the difference either. It's nice to know ya have the latest firmware though.

I know the software is the N97's downfall, but it still makes me laugh when people around me are complaining about their Blackberries and iPhones breaking... when, hardware-wise, my N97 is still in top notch condition!!

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open