All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Video: NRC demo - Nokia Image Space mobile client

As part of Nokia's 'Open for Ideas' event I had the opportunity to attend the Tampere Innovation Experience @ Demola day, which included a showcase more than 40 research projects that had been guided by open innovation principals. I teamed up with The Really Mobile Project's Ben Smith to shoot three videos of NRC (Nokia Research Centre) demos. The first video covers the Nokia Image Space research, with a demo of the Image Space mobile client on a Nokia N900.

Read on in the full article.

Old 18-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Unregistered

I want it on my N900.

NAO.

Old 18-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Unregistered

I have a great idea for Nokia to research - fix the Ovi store! How about letting users updating their software? Seeing program version in the store? When BASICS are done, come back to those experiments.

Old 18-06-2010, 09:10 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have a great idea for Nokia to research - fix the Ovi store! How about letting users updating their software? Seeing program version in the store? When BASICS are done, come back to those experiments.
Very insightful post ... not.

Do you know anything about project management or software development?

Nokia have *lots* of developers, working on a variety of projects. The issues with the Ovi store cannot be solved purely by their throwing resources at it.

I'd just be happy if Nokia would remove the dross from the Ovi store - some good apps in there, but some really, REALLY lousy ones.

Old 19-06-2010, 04:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Nokia have *lots* of developers, working on a variety of projects. The issues with the Ovi store cannot be solved purely by their throwing resources at it.
Yes, it requires resources and competence and project management etc. Judging by results Nokia doesn't have any of that. Still I would move resources to where they are needed most and suspend those hobby projects until basics are done.

Old 19-06-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Yes, it requires resources and competence and project management etc. Judging by results Nokia doesn't have any of that. Still I would move resources to where they are needed most and suspend those hobby projects until basics are done.
Its project management and designers that are the issue - just moving a couple of developers from one project to another won't necessarily have the desired effect.

And who's to say that Nokia aren't working on updates to the Ovi store? It just may not be ready for release. I will definitely say one thing for Nokia - whilst they don't always get things right on first release, the gradual improvements made to products/services do tend to eventually result in something rather good.

There is also the issue that I've mentioned on here before - Nokia are quite possibly a typical large corporate - changes are not necessarily easy to follow through and make, the approvals required to push them through can be difficult. Such make a change to the corporate infrastructure to speed up such processes can be ..... close on impossible without top level management buy in.

From the looks of the N8, things have definitely improved - a lot. To a certain extent Nokia have rested on their laurels and had become complacent. It may well be 3 years since the original iPhone hit the market, and Nokia are taking quite a long time to turn things around, but their core competencies in developing what are generally good (albeit slightly flawed) products will always be there, the process just needs some refinement.

Old 19-06-2010, 07:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Its project management and designers that are the issue - just moving a couple of developers from one project to another won't necessarily have the desired effect.

And who's to say that Nokia aren't working on updates to the Ovi store? It just may not be ready for release. I will definitely say one thing for Nokia - whilst they don't always get things right on first release, the gradual improvements made to products/services do tend to eventually result in something rather good.

There is also the issue that I've mentioned on here before - Nokia are quite possibly a typical large corporate - changes are not necessarily easy to follow through and make, the approvals required to push them through can be difficult. Such make a change to the corporate infrastructure to speed up such processes can be ..... close on impossible without top level management buy in.

From the looks of the N8, things have definitely improved - a lot. To a certain extent Nokia have rested on their laurels and had become complacent. It may well be 3 years since the original iPhone hit the market, and Nokia are taking quite a long time to turn things around, but their core competencies in developing what are generally good (albeit slightly flawed) products will always be there, the process just needs some refinement.
I agree that Nokia lacks proper management, startegy, sense of direction etc. since iPhone release.
I do not agree that thing have improved - after years od neglected Download service, Ovi store is a WRT widget, lacking most basic functionalities. N8 is late, not shipping, Symbian^3 isn't ready, no dates of availability defined. And while N8 is supposed to be better than 5800, it does not seem to come close to iPhone 4 or DroidX. By the way, 12 megapixels is too much for such a small sensor and lens, Nokia has decided to take part in the wrong race.

Old 19-06-2010, 01:20 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
no strategy? they have a very clear strategy.

n8 will, btw, likely ship with a new version of Store.

Old 19-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by viipottaja View Post
no strategy? they have a very clear strategy.
Really? What is it? Concentrate on low-end low-margin phones, developing countries markets and abandon high end? Because this is what happens so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viipottaja View Post
n8 will, btw, likely ship with a new version of Store.
Maybe yes, maybe no. Who knows when and if. Anyway it is too late for me, I'm done waiting for better future "next year". Let's hope it will happen before everybody jumps ships...
http://www.nokiadna.com/2010/06/noki...of-blog-posts/

Old 19-06-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I agree that Nokia lacks proper management, startegy, sense of direction etc. since iPhone release.
I do not agree that thing have improved - after years od neglected Download service, Ovi store is a WRT widget, lacking most basic functionalities. N8 is late, not shipping, Symbian^3 isn't ready, no dates of availability defined. And while N8 is supposed to be better than 5800, it does not seem to come close to iPhone 4 or DroidX. By the way, 12 megapixels is too much for such a small sensor and lens, Nokia has decided to take part in the wrong race.
Download was neglected, Ovi is leagues ahead of that in every possible way - its not ideal, but its definitely usable (unlike Download).

On what counts does the N8 not come close to the iPhone 4 or the <insert name of this weeks hot generic droid device>? Neither droid or the iPhone have ever beat Symbian for functionality, its only in "mind share" that they've had any lead.

And finally on the sensor, you have heard that the sensor in the N8 is larger than that in most dedicated compact cameras - which is why its probably (possibly?) going to be one of the best truly pocketable cameras on the market - regardless of it being in a phone or a dedicated device.

Old 19-06-2010, 10:22 PM
roarlad

Nokia Image Space = Microsoft Photosynth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3uY-1IbSqM#t=03m50s

very similar to what Microsoft was doing 3 years ago.
Ads

Old 21-06-2010, 03:50 AM
Unregistered

Not for the Nokia N900

In the video we can see the demo on a N900 but it is not valid for the N900 on the site of the Beta labs....
Always the same thing !!!
It's not normal !