All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-03-2011, 07:17 PM

matthewrleech is on a distinguished road
PR2.0 browser - Any facts?

Does anybody have concrete facts on what we can expect from the PR2.0 browser?

Everything I've read is positive and it's supposedly 'rewritten', but I've got this horrible feeling...

Old 14-03-2011, 09:52 PM

ShekBeew is on a distinguished road
All About Symbian Forums - Reply to Topic

Quote:
Does anybody have concrete facts on what we can expect from the PR2.0 browser? Everything I've read is positive and it's supposedly 'rewritten', but I've got this horrible feeling...
:(

Old 15-03-2011, 05:21 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
This 9 min. video, released yesterday, shows some of the features of PR2.0 running on the C7.

Wouldn't hold your breath on the browser though according to this.

Bring on that "horrible feeling" matthewrleech

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/03/14/vi...m691-firmware/

Old 15-03-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Wouldn't hold your breath on the browser though according to this.

Bring on that "horrible feeling" matthewrleech

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/03/14/vi...m691-firmware/
Just watched the video and that familiar sinking feeling took hold. I'm surprised to see any positive comments about the browser, performance looks the same as PR1.1 to me. The address bar is welcome but hardly ground-breaking.

Ok, sinking feeling shaken off! I'm now back to enjoying all the N8's positives

Old 15-03-2011, 03:19 PM

warmth is on a distinguished road
I wanna see Acid 3 Test results of this new browser... PR1.1 results are awful!

Current: Nokia Lumia 920 [WP8], Nokia Lumia 820 [WP8], HTC 7 Surround T8788 [WP7.8] & Vodafone 858 Smart [Android SmartLucky2.3] | Previous: Nokia Lumia 800, E7-00, X7-00, N8-00, N97, N96, etc.
Official Nokia Suite Beta Tester | Nokia Beta Labs Contributor of the month (June, 2011) | Nokia-news.com & LoveMyNokia.com writer

Old 16-03-2011, 08:04 AM

yellowcan is on a distinguished road
just watched the vid.......looks like the new browser is still not fit for purpose! save us opera, you're our only hope

Old 16-03-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minias6 View Post
Can anyone tell me which is the best pc browser out there on the market? Ive used mozilla
Ever considered using Google to get your answer?

http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...-using--932466

Old 17-03-2011, 07:01 PM

Another PR2.0 browser video (found it on mynokiablog):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoPz2OrKbg4

Old 18-03-2011, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewrleech View Post
Another PR2.0 browser video (found it on mynokiablog):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoPz2OrKbg4
That is truly awful. An embarrassment to both Nokia and the user.

I thought it was a joke and had to pause the video to check the details at the beginning. It really is firmware v020.037... Software version date 2011-03-04...Browser version 7.3... Flash version 4... Java version 2.2

That was an agonising 14.15 min's.

Considering it's connected via WiFi, it's slow and laggy. Pinch and zoom has to wait whilst the cross hatching on the page disappears.

You can see the handset having to play "catch-up" all the time as the user gestures and nothing happens and then it suddenly jerks into action.

At around 3.30 min's it's really awful trying to load the DailyMobile page and takes 1.13 min's to do so. This is repeated on other websites.

God only knows what is happening, or supposed to happen from 8.20 min's into the video. I guess it was an attempt to scroll through some of the pages but I'm not sure.

At 11.34 min's after, eventually, loading the New York Times page there is obvious problems with pinch and zoom again as it takes about 7 seconds to catch-up", after which it then has trouble accepting any further gestures to move around the page showing the Japanese Emperor. After this it seems to lose the plot in rendering and pinch and zoom again as well as becoming very jerky.

So, this is the long awaited upgraded browser for Symbian^3 handsets such as the N8, E7, C7, etc.

If this were 2007/8 I might be a bit enthusiastic about it... but it's 2011 and I'm comparing it to my Nexus One on 2.3 (Gingerbread) and to the iPhone 4... and it's cr*p!

In the words of Nokia's CEO, Stephen Elop... "Unbelievable"

Old 18-03-2011, 08:05 AM

JayTay is on a distinguished road
Needs more bold!

Old 18-03-2011, 09:15 AM

@ironass I'm not sure I understood your point

Seriously though, if this is how PR2.0's browser it's going to perform then I'm a little disappointed.

I also think that if the person in that video had been a little more patient and waited for things to load/render before frantically tapping and swiping, our perception would be more favorable.

I just watched the engadget part of the video again and then loaded up the page on my colleague's iPhone. What I noticed was that iPhone's Safari throws up the blank checkerboard when it's got too much to do (such as scrolling quickly while the page is still loading/rendering) which stops the user from trying to click/scroll even more, they're given a visual indication that the phone is busy. During the same page load on Symbian the browser pauses the scroll but leaves the web page on show, this indicates that the scroll gesture has not been recognised and so the user is tempted to have another go thus putting even more load on the browser. On the iPhone I found that once I had the checkerboard up I could almost keep it there indefinitely by quickly applying more scrolling gestures, just like our man did in the video.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the S^3 browser should be better than this. If it was like the iPhone3gs browser I'd be happy.

I'm fortunate that intensive web browsing is low on my list of mobile device requirements.

-- Lol! I just read through my post and spotted a two-word phrase that shows I've been working in Ireland for too long! See if you can find it --

Old 18-03-2011, 07:30 PM

yellowcan is on a distinguished road
the new browser really is the killer app for nokia but not in a good way! android and apple owners will be laughing their heads off if they see this video

a message for people responsible for new browser.....you lazy bast****! you deserve to be unemployed. i would'nt pay you in dog sh!t
Ads

Old 18-03-2011, 11:57 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Probably too early of an indication since this is NOT the final release version. Remember, it is leaked and optimisations do happen right at the end of the development cycle before release. Hold your judgements until you see it on your phone.

Old 19-03-2011, 02:56 AM

jake20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcan View Post
the new browser really is the killer app for nokia but not in a good way! android and apple owners will be laughing their heads off if they see this video

a message for people responsible for new browser.....you lazy bast****! you deserve to be unemployed. i would'nt pay you in dog sh!t
while i would never wish anyone to get fired, as people have families that depend on them...
but you really have to wonder about the skill, and competence of these Symbian developers for Nokia..

I mean why has it taken so many years to get Symbian modernized? and they still cannot seem to get it right.

Perhaps Elop realized this as well?

Old 19-03-2011, 09:59 AM

monkeyandweasel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
Probably too early of an indication since this is NOT the final release version. Remember, it is leaked and optimisations do happen right at the end of the development cycle before release. Hold your judgements until you see it on your phone.
I am with bchliu on this. Let's see the final release before we start throwing insults at people for not doing their job properly. I would certainly want people to be mature enough to give me the same respect on any project I was working on.