All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-02-2011, 09:25 PM

jah is on a distinguished road
Petition to save Symbian - please sign

http://www.petitiononline.com/sym2011/petition.html

Please see the petition above and sign.

It says:

"The undersigned agree to keep buying the wonderful products you make. We appreciate the ground braking products you have made and support your efforts to develop well engineered Smart Phones and devices. You have our support in these troubled times. We do not believe that Symbian does not have a future - it does and we will help you in anyway we can to sustain a continued development base for Symbian. "

Plan is to submit to the European Union.

Old 15-02-2011, 10:28 PM

monkeyandweasel is on a distinguished road
Is this just troll bait?

Old 17-02-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyandweasel View Post
Is this just troll bait?
Plan is to send the petition to someone very senior in Nokia.

Old 17-02-2011, 09:08 AM

junchao8 is on a distinguished road
Signed.

It's not dead yet - just that it will be gradually phased out.

I don't expect Nokia to revive it, but certainly wouldn't mind a major update or two, after PR2.0.

Old 17-02-2011, 12:57 PM

na05 is on a distinguished road
Its probably too late now.

After a big announcement like that there will be no saving symbian long term. All we can hope is that the promised updates arrive and on nokias track record that is not certain.

The N8 C7 and E7 ect are probably as good as they will ever get.

Old 17-02-2011, 01:40 PM

TheSpecialBoy is on a distinguished road
Just wanted to share my thoughts.

Symbian is not dead... We will witness his improvement in the next weeks and months.

New features, New User interface... some inovation points...and so on..
Also, who stated that will be dead.

As smartphones will evolve. I am positive and I beliebe that Symbian will be used as Franchise for the entry level phones....

So.. Don't look it like that...

Nokia is a strong Company and Just reinvented herself.

You will see...

Old 17-02-2011, 03:43 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpecialBoy View Post
Symbian is not dead... We will witness his improvement in the next weeks and months.
It isn't dead yet, but its days are numbered. Updates will still come, but not for long.
Ads

Old 17-02-2011, 04:01 PM

TheSpecialBoy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
It isn't dead yet, but its days are numbered. Updates will still come, but not for long.
Totally Disagree.

try to understand CEO words and read between speak and body language
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../8/IlO1a22UC7U

Anyhow: Symbian 3 will receive new UI ( at least3 or 4) and alot of features & improvements and will transit the new OS the new version of Windows OS.

Mego will be the future alternative.. the market ain't ready yet for the MeGo but this process of Symbian will help.

The strategy looks good and we will have to wait the confirmation of the results.

We all will be surprised.

Old 17-02-2011, 06:04 PM

na05 is on a distinguished road
The writings on the wall for symbian. Nokia is currently saying it will support symbian for the next few years, It wants to sell 150m more devices.

This is because it has no windows phones ready and will take months to bring something to market. It can't get by with no new products before then

Also there will no doubt be some symbian products already developed and ready to go. It will want to get them out and sold asap.

This is totally different from continued support. They are trying to limit the damage they did last friday because they shot themselves in the foot.

For me am happy with my symbian device as it is now. Am not expecting a huge amount more developement down this road. It works now and its as good as its gonna get

Old 20-02-2011, 04:59 PM

Updated words for the petition:

"The undersigned agree to keep buying the wonderful Symbian OS based products you make. We appreciate the ground breaking products you have made and support your efforts to develop well engineered Smart Phones and devices. You have our full support in these difficult times. We firmly believe that Symbian has a promising future and we will help you however we can to sustain a continued development base for Symbian."

Should be updated soon.

Please post the petition link to other forums, thanks.

Old 21-02-2011, 04:47 AM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Idiotic idea. Symbian is about to become extinct. Please stop wasting time.

Old 26-02-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
Idiotic idea. Symbian is about to become extinct. Please stop wasting time.
Thank you for your view, you try telling that to 6000 Symbian developers/engineers who have to suffer because of poor Nokia management. Many will lose thier jobs. but you and people like you don't care.

Old 27-02-2011, 03:27 AM

JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
It doesn't look like Symbian is being abandoned. Just because Nokia say they are adopting Windows doesn't mean that it's given up.

The way I see it, Symbian's future is undecided. It's an evolving OS, which, in it's current form version 3, is still very new. A new UI and Browser, depending on how good it is, could be the turning point.

It's not even outdated. It's just not conforming to the simple icon based model that the likes of iOS and Android are using. It could quite easy adopt the same look and feel. The videos of the PR2.0 update do seem to suggest this could be a step forward towards rivalling other OS.

In my opinion, the ease of use of iOS has been partially copied by both Android and Windows Mobile. It's so simple for the developers to simply do the same with Symbian.

Old 27-02-2011, 09:45 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyN View Post
It doesn't look like Symbian is being abandoned. Just because Nokia say they are adopting Windows doesn't mean that it's given up.

The way I see it, Symbian's future is undecided.
Nope. It has been decided. Nokia has decided that they will phase out Symbian as their smartphone platform in favour of Windows Phone 7 and later.

Nokia will still do some updates/enhancements to Symbian, mainly for the few Symbian models they still have in the pipeline, but their true focus is now on Windows Phone 7 as far as smartphones go.

They're also scaling down their other high-end smartphone platform work around evolving the Linux based maemo to the joint-effort with Intel known as MeeGo.

Nokia will also continue with their proprietary "featurephone" platform, Series 40, which forms the majority of their phone sales and revenue.

Old 27-02-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyN View Post
Nokia are keeping S40 but Symbian development will stop by 2014. Such a daft situation, why not drop S40 and continue Symbian. The only reason Nokia is to stop Symbian is because this is the condition that M$ has placed on Nokia; this is also why MeeGo development will stop. These decisions are designed to wipe-out Nokia.