All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-07-2010, 09:37 PM

Melmotion is on a distinguished road
Unhappy N95 8gb US troubles

I've had this phone almost a year and a half now. Recently I updated the firmware to V31.2.008. The update process went smoothly using the latest release of Ovi suite on Windows 7 PC. As I used the browser the first time after the update, the phone would suddenly shut off and restart.

It is also restarting itself repeatedly when not being used and no apps running in the background. It happens most when I'm traveling to/from my local area to another city. It also does this when I attempt to use any web enabled apps like Last FM. The repeated restarting makes the device unusable so I have to remove the battery until it powers off completely and place it back. It does not restart itself as much in the local area so I thought it has something to do with cell signal.

To remedy the problem I decided to reinstall the same update. I connected to Ovi suite using usb and it synced all my contacts, calender and media. As I clicked reinstall, Ovi gives a message after about 10 seconds something along the lines of usb not connected. I restarted my PC and reattempted the same procedure and the same error. I also tried on another newer Windows 7 PC and got the same error.

The problem continues and I can't seem to find any solution. The phone is alo very slow when attempting to the simplest of tasks such as dialing a number. There is no way to revert back to the old firmware. I'm using this phone on AT&T for about 4 months and never had a problem until I updated the software.

I would appreciate some help in trying to remedy this problem.

Old 18-07-2010, 08:54 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Corrupted Software ?

Probably some corrupted software interfering . You could do a Hard Reset : dial *#7370# . After the reset , just reinstall your personal data , like Calendar , Contacts etc , but neglect "Settings" . In settings there might be software corruption . See also my post here :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=81021

Do settings manually all over again . I know it will take some time , but the phone should be functioning fine after .
Many experienced users allways do a hard reset after a firmware-update to get rid of possible useless softwarefiles from the past .

For future use : somehow I have a feeling , using Nokia PC Suite might be better than OVI Suite for older Phones like N95 8GB .

Regards jApi NL

Old 18-07-2010, 06:32 PM

Thank you jApi NL. What worked for me was the 4 finger reset. Power + Send + 3 + *. I just finished setting up the device manually and it also connected to the software updater via usb without any errors. Now I have to wait and see if it restarts itself. Really appreciate the help. Nokia support couldn't figue this out.

Old 19-07-2010, 09:56 AM

Smile Cool

Do you mean by Nokia Support a Nokia Service Center or the Website/Forum ?
Hope you'll get everything allright .

Regards jApi NL

Old 19-07-2010, 07:48 PM

Nokia Service center. looks like AT&T is throttling data speeds now. Getting 19 to 48 kb/s on a 3g network. AT&T really stinks.

Old 20-07-2010, 10:18 AM

Smile AT&T + Apple ?

Today's read could give an insight :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=95740

Regards jApi NL

Old 21-07-2010, 02:50 PM

AT&T is capping data based on the type of phone. Unlocked devices are no longer supported on the regular $15 data plan which is basically for edge devices and non smartphones at sppeeds up to 56 kb/s . You have to specifically ask for a smartphone data plan for higher speeds which costs $25 for 2gb.

The problem with my n95 continues. Last two days it's been turning on and off. this is after the complete reset, reinstall and reset of the device. I did not install any apps apart from those that come with the software itself. I did not not restore the backed up settings and files. I only synced my contacts and calender through Ovi Sync. I aslo scanned the phone with ESET Security software finding no bugs.

I'm still hoping for a way to roll back to the previous version of the software, which worked just fine for being somewhat sluggish.

Old 21-07-2010, 06:56 PM

Smile Some More Suggestions

Online it is almost impossible to find previous firmware . Nokia servers do not provide . Sometimes a Nokia Service Center still has it in stock . When you ask very politely , maybe .... ?
Another point : the N95 8GB has a built-in Massmemorry . Normally when I have problem with a phone , I cannot figure out what the cause could be , let it run without the removable Memorycard . When it runs fine without , I know the source is the Card or some (corrupted) file from the card .
As I don't have a phone with Massmemory , I am curious if there is a way to clear it completely . With Card it goes like : Highlight Card > Options > Format Card .

Abou virus , there is no need to worry . Sometimes the anti-virussoftware could slow down the device :
-- Virus discussion + F-Secure trial
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=94857 -- Virus , Malware ? Unlicensed Software !
http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/...ile-study.html

Regards jApi NL

Old 21-07-2010, 11:00 PM

I'm tired of this phone and the Symbian OS. Nokia has no solution for a device they sell. Looking for a great home grown Android device, which is actually much simpler to manage. Symbian is too time consuming, buggy and Nokia customer service is just horrible.

Old 22-07-2010, 04:50 AM

Smile Some Reading Before Buying

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=95570

Regards jApi NL

Old 06-10-2010, 05:46 AM

Faisal369 is on a distinguished road
Dear All,

I recently bought N95 8gb from my frnd. Actually i am having a problem whenever i download a file or application in my N95 8b Browser, i could not start. Message comes "Disconnected". I use GPRS. Browsing is ok but downloading problem.

Can anybody tell me what is the problem and wats the remedy?

Old 05-02-2011, 03:48 PM

generalihda is on a distinguished road
merci merci merci merci
Ads