All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-03-2010, 12:32 PM

ravisankar is on a distinguished road
Unhappy help me please

hi iam ravi and i live in india , got n97 classic from california
recently i got3g sim and when i tried to change phone settings in dual mode phone is not recognising 3g signal and it showing 3g signal only in UMTS mode now i want to know is this hardware problem or is that frequency different in usa and india

and my phone came with no warrenty as it is unlocked and i purchased it from amazon so iam helpless atleast i find this forum who may help me do i have to shed more money or just should i resett or what ?

Old 20-03-2010, 01:47 PM

TurtlePower is on a distinguished road
have you enabled dual mode and automatic in

settings>connectivity>network

from what i understand the phones should be capable of recognising all frequencies and can automatically recognise them and switch between them. Firmware's may limit these frequencies but this i think is limited - think international business traveller moving between different operator frequencis and operator systems

Not sure if the firmware for america (you say it was from california) works in india - you may have to debrand and use a new firmware that corresponds to where you are hopefully someone more technically minded my be able to confirm or correct me on this.

Old 20-03-2010, 11:46 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
According to wikipedia, UMTS in India is at 2100Mhz:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks

This is the same as the proper "standard" of Europe, Asia and most other nations.

However, USA doe not use 2100Mhz for UMTS - using an unconventional 850/1900 Mhz frequencies.

If you had purchased the RM507 model from USA, you will only get 2G in India because it will only do 850/1900 in 3G/UMTS, whilst if the model was RM505 (which I doubt it is), then you can do 900/2100 in 3G/UMTS (which is what is required in India).

People dont realise buying phones in USA just isnt worth it considering it wont work for at least 3/4 of the world..

And no, I dont believe you can convert RM507 to RM505 since it has a physical difference in the crystal that generates the frequencies needed.

Old 21-03-2010, 12:33 AM

jmurch is on a distinguished road
If the seller knew he was shipping it to India I would bet he knew that it would not work fully there because of the difference in frequencies. What store did you buy it from thru Amazon?

This is similar to why I can't buy an n900 to use on ATT here it will only be 2g. The two main GSM carriers here use different 3g frequencies as well.

Jeff
Ads

Old 21-03-2010, 06:19 AM

For a quick buck.. I doubt they would care quite frankly. You bought it and if you didnt do your research properly to buy the wrong model, its not their fault. At the end of the day, its part of the wise consumer process to go through all the due dilligence..

Old 21-03-2010, 06:52 AM

ravisankar is on a distinguished road
thank you guys for reply

i really dont know about the frequency operations in india and usa and tomarrow iam visiting a service centre may be they can tell the real problem

Old 21-03-2010, 06:55 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Hi ravisankar.

I'm afraid bchliu is right about the operating frequencies of different RM (Regional Models).

See here under Operating Frequency in Nokia's own specifications for the Global RM-505 and the NAM (North American) RM-507:-

http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products...specifications

http://www.nokiausa.com/find-product...specifications

To find out which model and product code you have you can type the following into the dialling pad of the phone *#0000#

This will then display a page that lists your Software version and Type (RM code).

Old 21-03-2010, 08:45 AM

What I dont understand is, why dont you have any warranty when you bought it from Amazon?

Also, the Amazon site for this product is pretty explicit when it comes to which network is supported:

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-N97-Touc...9160902&sr=8-1

"
Product Features

* This unlocked cell phone is compatible with GSM carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile. Not all carrier features may be supported. It will not work with CDMA carriers like Verizon Wireless, Alltel and Sprint.
* Unlocked quad-band GSM cell phone compatible with 850/900/1800/1900 frequencies and US/International 3G compatibility via 850/1900/2100 UMTS/HSDPA plus GPRS/EDGE capabilities"