All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Some neat S60 5th Edition Nokia freebies

Thanks to master detective Friedbrains, the world has just discovered a little stash of dedicated touch-designed S60 5th Edition software for the 5800 XpressMusic, courtesy of Nokia Hong Kong, including a virtual piano and a virtual guitar, a dice roller and a card memory game. We'll have a 5800 XpressMusic with full production firmware here early next week and will report back further on dedicated touch-enabled apps then (via Symbian Guru)

Read on in the full article.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:26 PM
demowayne

I notice 'Mail for Exchange' is coming soon, I hope it's not too long, my 5800 arrives from Hong Kong in a few days. MFE is one of the most used apps on my N95 8g that I'll be changing from (is that a downgrade or upgrade? Hard to say).

Keep the apps coming, I'm getting ready to take on the iPhone users in the office.....

Old 12-12-2008, 07:46 PM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that.

It's strange to have a production standard 5800XM before quite a few reviewers.

Just for a little plug I am currently constructing a review of the 5800XM over on Mobile Review.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Unregistered

i also imported mine from HK which came yesterday and will review for World of Nokia. Decided to get the Blue one which set me back 399.99 but to get the 1st S60 Touch it was worth it
Ads

Old 13-12-2008, 02:46 AM
Unregistered

One thing i really want to know about these imports is when it comes to firmware upgrades in the near future, will it be possible without hassle of would one be able to change the product codes on a S60 5th edition OS?

I'm gunning for an import too next week but it would be an absolute kick in the nuts if one cant enjoy the benefits firmware updates. I doubt the harware side of things would be drastically different per country.

So Steve or Rafe or others, can you please chime in here?

Thanks

Old 13-12-2008, 08:07 AM

phazlehurst is on a distinguished road
@demowayne: M4E is on the phone in the Download! section. I'm using it now. Not bad, but like N series phones, you can't seem to get your email on the home screen. Very annoying compared to my E66.

@all: the best thing about the "free" games/software on their website is the pictures on the web page. Seriously, they are all pretty universally woeful.

We ain't got iPhone like software yet folks.

P

Old 13-12-2008, 08:59 PM
demowayne

Nice one phazlehurst, I'm sure some good apps will be along soon. In the mean time how have you got on with running S60 3rd apps in compatability mode? Estimations are that about 70% should work, is that what you've found? Cheers.

Old 14-12-2008, 08:46 AM

sandeepmali is on a distinguished road
Compatibility Mode?

Some reviews were saying that compatibility mode would not be present in the final production version. It would be nice to have lot of software working on this baby. S60 boasts a hell of a software catalog.
Lot of software made for S60 5th ed in the coming days i guess.