All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 26-08-2008, 07:32 PM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurphboy View Post
I'm not sure that the closeness in spec of the N85 and the N96 is a bad thing.
Sure it isn't. The DVB-H-only N96 won't sell well. Not even here in Finland, I'd daresay - after all, there are a lot of unsettled issues with DVB-H (at least in Finland) and the coverage (compared to DVB-T) is low.

If I were Nokia, I'd definitely add DVB-T support to the N96 (and/or, for models going for non-European countries, the local DV standards - for example, MediaFlo in the States). Without that, I wouldn't even bother releasing the N96.

Old 26-08-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
still happy with my N95 GB for sure - but I have to admit ever since the N96 and now also the N85 I envy the users of these handsets for the WMV video ability. I have a certain use for that - and may only be me - but I have to convert to mp4 all the time while these new devices would just play the original video...sigh....
FYI: CorePlayer will add WMV support VERY soon.

Old 26-08-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan View Post

Does it have a 3D chip for gaming?
I REALLY hope it does!
Ads

Old 26-08-2008, 08:58 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
what about 5800 tube?
At least one with better screen resolution

Old 26-08-2008, 09:27 PM
AlmostDone

I really do like this phone! This is a N95 turbo charged...

Although my mind was set on the Samsung Innov8 (i8510) I think this has swung it for me. The thing with Samsung phones you can't update the firmware yourself and don't know what support will be like. I don't want a buggy phone I have to live with for a long time. Then there are software and services which will only work with Nokia phones such as Maps, nGage, Ovi, Download, Share Online and other utilities etc.

I love Nokia maps for trips abroad! You have all the maps in the world for free and if you want turn by turn navigation abroad just pay a small fee for weekly subscriptions.

I was willing to give all of this but now the n85 adds many mini-features and I prefer the smaller dimensions.

I don't think VGA is necessary on such a small screen. If you have a 3" screen or bigger fair enough but don't want to squint too much.

Does anyone know which frequencies UK networks use? 2100Mhz or 900Mhz or both in all parts of the UK?

For example in the States, AT&T use the 1900Mhz frequency and only very few places use 850Mhz (expanding).

I want to know which model is the best as a world phone including the States and Canada.

Old 26-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostDone View Post
Does anyone know which frequencies UK networks use? 2100Mhz or 900Mhz or both in all parts of the UK?
Europe uses mainly the 2100MHz range. Most European 3G phones are currently WCDMA 2100 only. According to Wikipedia, they've recently started using the 900MHz range in Finland; the rest of Europe is supposed to follow sometime in the future.
Bottom line: with the EU version of the N85 you should be able to get 3G in most parts of NA. With the NA version, you should be able to get 3G in most parts of Europe (the NA version is tri-band in exactly the same ranges as the iPhone). This is an excellent phone for world travelers.

Old 26-08-2008, 10:41 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostDone View Post

I don't think VGA is necessary on such a small screen. If you have a 3" screen or bigger fair enough but don't want to squint too much.

Just try the screen of HTC Diamond against N95 8G screen, on Net surfing, and tell that screen resolution itīs not necessary!!! Itīs mandatory

Old 26-08-2008, 10:54 PM
AlmostDone

Well the n85 has a 2.6" screen like the n95 classic. You may get away with this on a 2.8" screen but 2.6" quite a bit smaller. (Note a 2" screen is 4x bigger than 1" screen even though there is only 1" difference)

Yes the Touch Diamond is much sharper but you'll still have to zoom in quite frequently to read. They have a handy scroll wheel... I don't wish to constantly zoom in/out.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for Nokia making higher resolution screens. I'm a E90 owner... But I just think 2.6" is just a little too small for that.

Old 27-08-2008, 06:57 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
I see in the tech specs that you can set the radio as an alarm. Does this mean that this baby can play the radio without necessarily connecting the headset???

Old 27-08-2008, 07:05 AM

Arcade is on a distinguished road
It doesnt have the pencil key, does it ? I cant seem to make out. And does anyone know about the 3D omap chip ?

Old 27-08-2008, 08:06 AM

hhclau is on a distinguished road
market segmentation

The recently released/upcoming Nseries (N78,N79,N82,N85,N95,N96) phones do have very common functionalities. As a consumer, it is a good sign to see good features are included in lower end Nseries products (such as 500 mega pixels in N79).

Nokia needs to maintain the market share by releasing new products for all levels. Wonder how Nokia make the segmentation in functionalities on different products.

To me, the screen size would definitely be one of the top choices.
2.8 inch for N9X; 2.6 inch for N8X; 2.4 inch for N7X;

I really don't mind to have a 3.0 inch for the upcoming N9X products because I read a lot of books from my N95 8G phone at the moment.

Old 27-08-2008, 08:27 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade View Post
It doesnt have the pencil key, does it ? I cant seem to make out. And does anyone know about the 3D omap chip ?
All the recent S60 phones have been missing the pencil key. The hash (#) key has taken on this functionality...

Old 27-08-2008, 09:27 AM

gemikon is on a distinguished road
do you think that n85 will support OTA firmware update? Is this something that all new nokias will support from now on?

Old 27-08-2008, 09:28 AM

gemikon is on a distinguished road
I also red that all new nseries nokia will not have built in Voip capability any more

Old 27-08-2008, 10:33 AM

jdushe is on a distinguished road
This definitely looks like a worthwhile upgrade from my N95 classic, just for the battery life alone (more efficient OLED screen plus higher capacity 1200 mAh battery).