All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Packet Video Streaming/Server Complaint

Is anyone else annoyed at the fact that the phone is sold as a 'steaming' phone, but there is little to no content to steam to the phone?

The Packet Video MP4 player has the ability to stream MP4 files to your phone, but currently the only content is a Webcam in Paris and another in Time Square, it's great, for about 30 seconds then you start to get tired of watching people walking about.

I decided I wanted to make a website/server that would concentrate on streaming for the P800, but it's not as simple as sticking an MP4 on a server and then going to the URL and expecting it to steam, it will download instead. You need the Packet Video Server software to make PVX files to enable the content to be steamed, so I send an email to see how much this software will cost.

The site states, you have to pay a 'small fee' and be excepted into their 'Global developer network' which I was willing to pay.

Willing that is, if indeed it was infact a 'small fee'...the actual price is $1450.

My gripe is this....what is the use of them spending all this money on developing the streaming software which is at the end of the day so cellular networks can make money from us users on GPRS charges if we have nothing to use it for.

I can't see people lining up to spend $1450 so they can setup a streaming site, which would have to be on a Payed member or pay per view basis to cover the cost of the software/support.

I know there is also Vics, but to be honest that seems like the same thing....based at large companies to make profit from the end users, as I doubt Vics will supply the software to users to make the .vic files so we can stream what we like.

I think we need an Oplayo or Real Player on the P800.

Old 22-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Hmm... I agree that's crazy. I very much doubt anyone is willing to "pay per view" for some streaming content in addition to GPRS costs.

Besides, we are talking GPRS speed here, not 3G...-Crazy.

Vics seems to be free though, streaming that is. -Well for now anyway, but I wonder what their plans really are... Maybe the VICS encoder will be so expensive that only operators or major companies will be able to afford it, also making the content "pay per view".

I agree with you, Jordan, I would also really like to see Oplayo for the P800. That was a decent player which I used a lot with my N7650.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson
Ads