All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-03-2011, 04:05 AM

samson432 is on a distinguished road
Totally a M$ deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah View Post
Nokia are keeping S40 but Symbian development will stop by 2014. Such a daft situation, why not drop S40 and continue Symbian. The only reason Nokia is to stop Symbian is because this is the condition that M$ has placed on Nokia; this is also why MeeGo development will stop. These decisions are designed to wipe-out Nokia.
A revenge at Symbian. More importantly Nokia has given up the strategic position of driver seat of a total media delivery company. Without its own OS it has no control over the pipes anymore.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:11 PM

jah is on a distinguished road
We have 240 signatues, come one we need a few more :-)

Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 PM

martinharnevie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nokia are keeping S40 but Symbian development will stop by 2014. Such a daft situation, why not drop S40 and continue Symbian. The only reason Nokia is to stop Symbian is because this is the condition that M$ has placed on Nokia; this is also why MeeGo development will stop. These decisions are designed to wipe-out Nokia.
I agree that this is most likely the case.

WP7 is a pig with lipstick.
Symbian is a gazelle which for a long time was in a straight-jacket (S60).

M$ is still worried like hell about the Symbian/Qt combo.

Hence making sure Symbian is truly dead is their desire. The Elopement guards M$' interests first, not Nokia's.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 AM

1 more signature

Quote:
We have 240 signatues, come one we need a few more :-)
Added my petition signature using my n8.
Let the Nokia beta lab take over the UI team and quickly release the latest optimized QT api and the Symbian realtime OS will shine.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:59 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thank you for your view, you try telling that to 6000 Symbian developers/engineers who have to suffer because of poor Nokia management. Many will lose thier jobs. but you and people like you don't care.
Who cares? That's life.

Symbian was driving Nokia to its' grave and they made a business decision. Live with it and please stop acting like a child whose toys are being taken away.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:23 AM

Symbian is no toy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
Who cares? That's life.
There are a lot of people who cares. Symbian phones are relied upon daily in all sort of place. For example, my company use SIP calls on Nokia phones to replace our internal digital PABX because Symbian SIP calls are totally integrated with normal cell calls on their phone. No other mobile OS comes close. As I travel to other countries, OVI maps works even in places where there is no network. Try roaming that with Google maps. Not everyone lives and operate in just ONE country.

Quote:
Symbian was driving Nokia to its' grave and they made a business decision.
It is the other way round. Nokia management has been putting stray jacket on Symbian since 5 years ago and suffocating Symbian to its grave. Too little RAM and nand flash and too many unnecessary phone models and therefore unnecessary customization. Cancellation of good and pioneer projects.

Quote:
Live with it and please stop acting like a child whose toys are being taken away.
Toys ??? A true realtime OS and true multi-task and you call it a toy? Not only are they green phones, but Symbian phones always are more battery friendly therefore more reliable and trust worthy in excursions.
Keep your toys and stop labelling Symbian toys! In fact this is the exact problem of Symbian now: it is not being viewed as a toy so the younger generation are not keen to try it.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:02 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson432 View Post
There are a lot of people who cares. Symbian phones are relied upon daily in all sort of place. For example, my company use SIP calls on Nokia phones to replace our internal digital PABX because Symbian SIP calls are totally integrated with normal cell calls on their phone. No other mobile OS comes close. As I travel to other countries, OVI maps works even in places where there is no network. Try roaming that with Google maps. Not everyone lives and operate in just ONE country.

It is the other way round. Nokia management has been putting stray jacket on Symbian since 5 years ago and suffocating Symbian to its grave. Too little RAM and nand flash and too many unnecessary phone models and therefore unnecessary customization. Cancellation of good and pioneer projects.

Toys ??? A true realtime OS and true multi-task and you call it a toy? Not only are they green phones, but Symbian phones always are more battery friendly therefore more reliable and trust worthy in excursions.
Keep your toys and stop labelling Symbian toys! In fact this is the exact problem of Symbian now: it is not being viewed as a toy so the younger generation are not keen to try it.
Great, thank you for your perspective. Now allow me to give mine: in my line of work I deal with a lot of international corporations (as well as smaller companies) mostly in Europe, Canada and Australia. I am yet to see one, I repeat: ONE company that uses a Symbian phone in a business enviroment.

You speak of SIP calling. What I do see is some companies using Skype for long distance calling and video conferencing and to be honest Skype integration on a Symbian phone is a joke from what I can recall.

You also peak of Symbian having great battery life. That's another myth. I think we can all agree that majority of smartphones today have to be charged every 1 or 2 or whatever days. I remember having to charge my E90/E71/N95/N97 every day. I don't care what Nokia specification sheet says.

I could go on and on but what for? What I'm trying to say is that you are in minority when it comes to defending Symbian. Nokia made a business decision to move on to WP and any effort to save Symbian is in my opinion a colossal waste of time.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:44 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
I'm afraid I will not be signing this petition.

If there's a petition to have Nokia make Android phones, I'll sign that.