All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Review: the Bolt browser

David Gilson looks in depth at Bolt, a Java proxy-based web browser for all phones that claims desktop-class browsing, a degree of social integration and both Flash and HTML 5 video support. This latter seems to be the only feature that really impressed David though, with Bolt's overall operation seeming stilted and clumsy in comparison to Opera Mini, its nearest competitor.

Read on in the full article.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:25 AM

carman58 is on a distinguished road
Awful

I tried bolt a while ago, basically because of Video support, but remived it after a couple of days from my N97, it's truly AWFUL !!!!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:58 AM

Computerng is on a distinguished road
@steve, good work. More power to your elbow.
i appreciate all that you have been doing here.
i have some questions to ask and also want to contribute to what you have said. It goes thus;
"At the bottom of the screen, Bolt has a pair of soft-keys for 'Menu' and ' Back', but notably no 'Forward' control "...the bolt browser version 2.1 has the forward control. I will like you to explain what you meant in details.
"Even though Bolt aims to provide a desktop browsing experience on mobile phones ( a flawed idea ), there is an option to select whether Bolt will use the mobile or desktop layout of a page. This setting appears to have no effect at all, and Bolt always loads the desktop version of every website."...the bolt i make use of doesnt work this way...it loads wapsite when i use mobile layout,and loads websites when making use of desktop layout.
"Also, text in web pages can be highlighted, but there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to do anything with the highlighted text, "...
i am making use of bolt right now,i can highlight text,then i click on menu,then i click on post then copy the text i need,
"Overall, Bolt is not recommended for S60 users."...
Why is this if i may ask?...bolt seems to be the best on s60 phones running on symbian os.

What i have to say is that, bolt needs to add the syncronization features because this is only reason opera is leading.
Inconclusion, i say thank you once again for your effort here.
Criticisms and suggestion are welcome. I claim no perfection. It is not an attribute of man.
Thanks
Ads

Old 06-07-2010, 04:05 PM

manopeas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computerng View Post
"Overall, Bolt is not recommended for S60 users."...
Why is this if i may ask?...bolt seems to be the best on s60 phones running on symbian os.
No, Bolt is ugly, has poor usability, doesn't work very well, lacks features, etc.

Quote:
What i have to say is that, bolt needs to add the syncronization features because this is only reason opera is leading.
The reason why Opera is leading is that it's fast, has excellent usability, and covers most people's needs.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:29 PM

Computerng is on a distinguished road
@ poster above, though it depends on the speed of the network i.e whether you are in a 3g coverage,2.5g coverage.
you have to put the device one is using into consideration. You can compare a nokia 3110c and a nokia e75 when surfing with both bolt and opera and get the same speed.
Regardless of the speed, i still stand on my words,bolt is more faster than opera.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:35 AM
Unregistered

Bolt is not bad

I been using Bolt couple of years, i know it's more based for Blackberry compatibility than for symbian, it's just us Symbian users we are lucky to run several language platform software, and it does not mean that it should be perfect, but it does the work desktop view for sure, and is updating all the time.
For some complicated web-pages i have to use Bolt, because the other browsers can't do the job.

Old 13-07-2010, 10:38 PM

manopeas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computerng View Post
Regardless of the speed, i still stand on my words,bolt is more faster than opera.
It is not. Several independent tests have confirmed that Opera Mini is faster than Bolt.

Meanwhile, the Bolt guys are lying and lying and lying, claiming that Bolt is not only faster, but minimumm 25% faster! I will never use products from known liars like that.

Old 14-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Banned

gagashah is on a distinguished road
Hi,
Go to preferences and disable HTTPS, it will use the internal secure protocol which is strong enough. The issue is with device which does not have support for HTTPS.

Old 14-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Banned

gagashah is on a distinguished road
Hi,
Go to preferences and disable HTTPS, it will use the internal secure protocol which is strong enough. The issue is with device which does not have support for HTTPS.