All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > UIQ

Old 23-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Unregistered

Reasons to turn phone off...

Brad Paisley, brad paisley lyrics, brad paisley online lyrics, brad paisley i\x27m still a guy, brad paisley song, brad paisley new song, brad paisley fishing song, brad paisley music, brad paisley alcohol, brad paisley ticks, brad paisley whiskey lullaby, <a href="http://akonringtones.webs28.com/?">Brad Paisley ringtones</a> brad paisley, brad paisley lyrics, brad paisley songs, brad paisley online, brad paisley letter to me, brad paisley 5th gear, brad paisley i'm still a guy lyrics, brad paisley concerts, brad paisley tabs, brad paisley myspace, Brad Paisley ringtones

Old 24-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Pantersen

Question SE W960i playback & firmware?

Hi folks,

nice discussion you have here about SE W960i I consider buying it soon but I have some questions since I am a noobie in smartphones and I hope you can answer them.

I was wondering what is the playback time of music and video (depending on the codec used). I know that W960i's processor is 200MHz which is not that much for smooth playback and heavy loads but it is definitely good for battery life. So if any of you has any impressions on playback time or made such tests, please feel free to share with us

Another thing that bothers me are firmware updates. I made a quite thorough search in the internet about upgrading the OS from Symbian 9.1 to a newer version, but it seems that this is only possible through firmware updates coming out by the SonyEricsson site only. Am I right about that? And are these updates possible using just the bundle USB cable in the factory box or do I need a special device to upgrade as it stands with my old SE K500i?

Thanks a lot,
Pantersen
Ads

Old 29-01-2008, 05:30 PM

thomas_69 is on a distinguished road
hello everyone,
My problem is that any time i am going to send a sms i charged for 2 or 3.
That happens after 71 characters(2 sms).
how i can send 1 sms with 180 characters??

Old 13-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Unregistered

Profile Mode options

Hi,
I switched from K750 to W 960 after a long wait and only 2 things i really miss. The on off light option and also the various options we had ( with K 750) in profile like outdoor, in car, at home etc. They worked for me then. Wander that might not be too popular a feature.

Any comments?

HK

Old 14-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy Very buggy user interface

I've had this phone for over a fortnight now and after my first few days of praise for the phone, things started going a bit south. I was impressed at how well all the features on the phone worked (like WLAN/WiFi, Bluetooth, GPRS, MP3, Video etc.) but have started seeing more and more issues with the simplest of user interface tasks.

My advice to anyone using this phone would be to turn off the screensaver (the picture that appears before the screen dims), turn off the Today screen if possible and disable automatic keylock. The screensaver will appear over incoming calls if you don't pick up quick enough so you can't tell who's ringing or what you're doing. The keylock does similar antics for incoming calls and calender alarms, effectively turning your handset in to a singing brick until you have to remove the battery. With these two removed, I'm starting to see a lot more stability.

The camera application seems to have been an afterthought as well, which I was very disappointed with considering the surprisingly good quality of my W900i

I'm really hoping they start making fixes for this soon - and don't leave it as a "Whoops, don't worry, we'll be one the money by the time the XPERIA is out!"

-Kijduse

Old 15-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation What does Mono Speaker mean??

You mentioned in one part that it has a tiny mono speaker(undesirable)..
what does mono mean?? I have a W810i at present... I dont care what the definition of MONO states... I hope it sounds better than W810i... Does it?

Please reply as I have to decide by end of the next week whether to buy 960i or not!

Thank you.

Old 15-02-2008, 08:37 PM

Maverik is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Some Other Qs bout 960..

I currently own a W810i and wow! thats a piece of art.
It does so much already- am I gonna be satisfied with W960i?

As some ppl said earlier it does not have a light on-off option..
I really need that coz the Govt here SUCKS! & I'm in the dark often at night... it would be really disappointing to know that there's no light option!

Also- "A PC can wake up on its own!!"- it's known as a RTC Alarm & its in the BiOS of your Motherboard..
ASUS A8M-VN does it(I've tried it on mine!)
RTC-(Real Time Clock) this is the same concept on which the W800/810i & lots of other fones ring alarms even when turned off!

Take any Sony Ericsson fone press direction keys-

Left
Right Right
Right

after pressing the exact combo you will see a secret menu opened you would see 3 options..
go under "Service Tests" check "Real Time Clock" there- It proves my point!!

Well People who have 960i please try it too..
tell me what yol see?
Please Please tell me how is the sound from the speakerfone?? is it better than W810i? if not then Balls to 960i!
Im better off with 810i-

Please Reply.
Screw Sony Ericcson for being careless in putting together such a beautiful 960i- I hope the firmwares are with some fixes...

Last edited by Maverik; 15-02-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Old 17-02-2008, 06:17 AM

desertrat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Would your PC perform any action if you left it off?
Since around 1997 (or whenever it was when the ATX motherboards/PSUs were introduced), there have been an option in the BIOS to set the computer to switch itself on at particular time.

Old 17-02-2008, 08:50 AM

Maverik is on a distinguished road
Smile Atx

Yeah you are right...
dont mind me mentioning it-
Some guy was just saying sarcastically that does my PC start automatically??

I just quoted on his line saying that RTC functions in BIOS helps to do that...
also if you read the initial comments some guys are arguing on the alarm function..

even sony ericsson uses the RTC concept to sound alarms even when the phone is switched off!

Maybe I am a little too late giving out the info.. heh heh!

Old 17-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Unregistered

unbranding

how do i unbrand my phone. is it safe? someone said i could turn my phone into a "brick", what does this mean apart from the obvious?

Old 22-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Unregistered

There is a review about the music player on here that is just plain wrong!

It says it fails the pocket test because you can't access the buttons from your pocket.

The volume controls change track up and down if you hold them for a second or so, and you use the button on the basic head set wire to stop and start music.

Still a great sound that doesn't go load anougth bay far, no user EQ only presets!!!!
and mega bass as only one of the presets, can't use it with a setting

and that massive pause between track...5 seconds sometimes WTF

Try again sony :eyesroll: could of been a great allrounder but the video recorder and camera are no where up to smartphone standard, stop trying to fool us sony....I'm going nokia by by!

Old 02-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Nattshants

sony erricsson W960-for photos?

Helllo People-I may sound silly, I'm a young nurse whom loves her gadgets and love my S/Erricssons-I want the sony erricsson W960 as I'm a textaholic/snap-o-holic..(love the feel/buttons/running of it!), taking note of the 8GB memory-but no flash!?-I am maybe silly looking into this-as do use the running aps of memos/calender/diary type functions, but do need an alarm!-if so maybe I'll settle for the K770i....Feedback pls...Natalie,23 (a young dinosaur-but needs advice!)

Old 13-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

Angry I cannot add real media tracks on to my walkman playlist

Though being a walkman phone its ridiculous that the walkman 3.0 player does not allow real media songs to be added to the playlist. It accepts only mp3 tracks on the playlist. I need to play real media tracks 1 by 1 from the file manager which is real stupid. But P1i which has basic walkman player version allows to add real media tracks on to the playlist which is so convinient. I prefer having rm songs cos they r 5 times lighter than mp3's which allows me to store more songs. I hope SE rectifies this problem with the next firmware upgrade

Old 01-04-2008, 01:32 PM
bardez

Phone Handset alarm sound

re: earlier comments, previous SE phones had alarms that worked when the 'phone was switched off..

But, my query is how to set the alarm for gradual increasing volume as opposed to full blast from the offset (leaving me doing a cat on the ceiling impersonation).

The call ringing has increase volume still but it seems to be lacking on the alarm?

Old 23-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation Q?

the volume on my w960 doesnt go very loud, is any 1 else having the same problem??
other than that i love the fone!!!!!!!!!!!!!