All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 18-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
8 Megapixel head to head - Samsung INNOV8 vs Sony Ericsson C905

With the Sony Ericsson C905 arriving for review in The Phones Show, I couldn't resist doing a quick head to head between it and the Samsung INNOV8 - and the Nokia N82, for good measure.], so that I could evaluate the differences between 8mp and 5mp in the real world. The C905 is undoubtedly the phone with the stills camera of highest specification at the moment - but how good is it? Is it worth overlooking the many other factors involved in choosing a camera-phone/smartphone?

Read on in the full article.

Old 18-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Unregistered

8mp on a dumb phone is still dumb. I bought a sony ericsson for the 1st time last month as my 2nd phone n sold it within a week. If someone offers me a c905 for free and an n82 for 300 bucks, i'd still take the n82 thx, no matter what the se camera could do.

Old 18-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

From what I hear, se's had some bad phones in the last year or so, but my W810 is great and it made me an se fan. I'm not really sure what the fuss was about (laggy interface, software crashes or something like that), but I'm really looking forward to this phone when it comes out in the US. I've read that SE acknowledges the bad phones in the past and is making sure this one won't make the same mistake.

Old 18-11-2008, 04:54 PM

TomJ is on a distinguished road
The megapixel myth has been shown to influence people irrationally; see this week's Bad Science for details.

Old 18-11-2008, 08:25 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Dump & Useless

Nice review

About SE C:
No Smartphone mean "Good bye u worth nothing"...i will never pay a cent for a dump phone,but i guess this is recommanded for people need a Camera only,and to make life easier they want the camera to make calls and send sms "sms only,emails and web need at least 2.6' screen".

The S40 Nokia phones are dump but they are cheap,thin,can do many things SE dump phones cant do...while these SE phones are dump and they are considered the flagships and very overpriced...this is why i think SE will die soon.

About INNOV:
Its not a surprise when Samsung camera arent in par with Nokia and SE camera,i will be surprised if its better "in the same count of Mega Pixels". but in general i think the INNOV will be better with firmware updates becauz the Symbian is a new OS for Samsung and i guess the problem with camera is a software rather than hardware.

N82:
Great,but where is the 8MP from Nokia ...need to wait for 2009.

Old 18-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Unregistered

when it comes down to cropping images and comparing them side by side just to see minor differences then i think its safe to say most decent camera phones you can buy today are going to be sufficient enough for most peoples every day use. if they want to get into serious photography then they should probably buy a digital SLR camera.

Old 18-11-2008, 09:49 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer I fully expect Nokia to leapfrog 8MP

to the 12+ chips being introduced next year.
One thing you can do to improve 5 or 8MP is to offer true optical zoom
I can't inderstand why they don't make a xenon/led pair dual led is ok but not fast enough.
-seki

Old 18-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The megapixel myth has been shown to influence people irrationally
This has been known a loooooooong long time in the consumer field, many customers seem to want to know a device's specification before judging the quality of its output.

You see a similar thing in the film world, there are people who trash a film because it flopped at the box office, and praise another because it made a lot of money. It's as if they're terrified of using their own sense of taste, or perhaps just scared of standing out from the crowd?

Old 18-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Unregistered

Agreed with ammar dento. I just can't for the life of me understand why any1 would pay premium price for the se c905. It makes me laugh when i read across the net about se fanboys trashing the nokias, especially regarding build quality. Of course these nokias r plastic. What do u expect? They've crammed so much into it and the way 2 keep price down is 2 use plastic? Well i can forgive that. What i can't forgive is an overpriced dumb phone with a good camera and music that really sucks, or with a good music quality with a camera that's just totally hopeless. I'm sorry but personally people who r buying this c905 r just totally clueless. I feel sorry 4 them. Especially when the N82 is now about a third cheaper..

Old 19-11-2008, 02:21 AM
Unregistered

se user

I'm getting sick of these stupid phones.
I've had 3 sony erricssons over the past 2 years, and guess what.
They were all cyber shit phones.
From stupid os (which I think is actually better than iPhone's) to even stupider camera (k800) with xenon flash which always destroys a photo (in the night it is or too weak or too powerfull) to stupid buttons on k850 and that something they called touchscreen.
And auto focus, especially macro mode which seems to do nothing at all.
Glad I got N82.

Old 19-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Unregistered

Smile Getting the facts straight

I got an Innov8 let me begin with it is an amazing phone and has all the specs attached + better battery life then any N Series Nokia or SE phone from past experiences in being in the Mobile industry.

As far as specs go it has it all

In regards to the photo taken comparing the two phones suggests to me that the that Steve Litchfield never actually spent much time playing with the lighting settings :P not only that new phone glass tends to reflect light. Another thing that could help is changing the background and display cause it is horrible.

Now Cameras I love clubbing with this phone the flash does justice but could obviously be improved. Daytime shots is also good when taking photos they are quite clear and once again the camera is quite customizable sadly that wasn't mentioned in the review. Face targeting and blink removal is good on this phone

APP compatibility: I have to agree N82 may win this component but the INNOV8 can use quite a lot of APPs:suggestions for APP downloads if the INNOV8 isn't there: N95, N96, Symbian S60 3rd apps, Samsung SGH- G810 are all mobiles which share similarity of the INNOV8.

I will list the current APPs I have: Y Browser, x-plore, Fring, Ogg Media Player, Screenshot, Kaywa Reader, Widsets, Gypsii, Opera - however I removed cause it is shit compared 2 default browser,
Mobile Signer, Smart Movie, Shozu.

Overall the phone is something I spend time on, it is not a noob's gadget. Bottom line don't buy it if you can't appreciate good phone art.

Old 19-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Unregistered

Talking

question for all Nokia fans out there.
how do you explain that you beloved best Nokia camera flagship take so crap photos in comparison with C905?
suggestion: maybe tell the actual inferiority of Nokia toward SE?!
don't worry, you have an smart OS (symbian) which is that smart that all the times you want to send something by bluetooth ask like a dumb: bt is off do you want to switch it on? what a smart
no I won't you completely dump OS . lol Talking
and wen you are thinking if you wan BT on or off pfff... the phone is off...... the battery don't have that much time in you disposition. hahahaha

cheers WM

Old 19-11-2008, 07:21 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
What the **** are you talking about?

Let's see:

1. SE's sales are tiny when compared to Nokia's;

2. their favoured interface (UIQ) is shortly going to disappear;

3. the BT on my E90 is on all the time, so don't know what you were going on about here; presumably, you've used an S60 phone but not worked out how to switch on bluetooth (hmmm, who's the dumb one?);

4. my E90 battery lasts about 3 days, even under fairly heavy usage, so battery life is certainly not an issue.

And what the hell do you mean with "no I won't you completely dump OS"?

Old 19-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Unregistered

se phones aren't that bad they have alot of features for an okay price and most have better battery life than than a s60 phone
Ads

Old 20-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Unregistered

True. I had a P910i for 3 years, which I really liked. It started to go wrong (spurious battery warnings, occasional spontaneous shutdowns) and I found that I really missed a "proper" keyboard, so the E90 was launched at just the right time for me...