All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 90

Old 19-05-2009, 11:23 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile LonMID Formfactor

As a steady Nokia user : 9210 > 9500 > E90 , I am of course prejudiced , but I like the lonMID formfactor , including Touchscreen , and a LOT of keys !
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/11/l...ok-you-choose/

Regards jApi NL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lonmid-m100-mid-2-up.jpg (23.7 KB, 3 views)

Old 19-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation form

I agree that one of the best forms is the d s which has 2 touch screens. The phone I want is an evolution of the n 93 with 2 large touch screens (one capacitive one rsistive) both playing to their strenghts. this layout gives you the needed angled screen for viewing and the proper layout for handheld video recording. the seperate lens and camera module after 4 years develoment should easily match the omnia hd.

Old 20-05-2009, 01:53 AM

Furie is on a distinguished road
Personally I'd say the ideal form factor is held by the E90, with it's large internal screen and physical keyboard. Turn that screen into a touchscreen for art packages and the like and it's the ultimate for mobile web users these days. For sleekness sake I'd have to get rid of the "phone" on the outer shell though and make it a bit thinner depth-wise.

Feature-wise it needs the specs of the i8910 at least.

Old 20-05-2009, 03:36 AM
Unregistered

Steve, I'm very surprised that you had no mentioning of the N93 (N91/N92), the very phone you used to film many of your earlier smartphone shows. That phone has the perfect form factor.

Imagine that phone update with modern technology. The design of those phone allow a "full" camera lens/optic on the swivel part. So you know it will have the best camera/video.

The front of the phone can be a full touch display with that can be rotated to many possible angles.

The internal keypad can be updated to a qwerty keypad. If you've ever hacked the phone to play N-Gage or just playing any games, you know it is fabulous.

The N91/N92/N93; those phones are the perfect form factor. Nokia just need to update them to a bigger touch display, put in a qwerty keypad and trim it down a bit.

Old 20-05-2009, 05:29 AM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
I'm going slightly off-topic here but oh well.
I'm not so sure resistive has all that much to do with sunlight legibility. The best screen i've used EVER with regards to this is a 7 year old device. Namely the p800. And it had a resistive touch screen. It was so good at reflecting ambient light it didn't even have a backlight. It used some kind of strange front lighting technique.

Old 20-05-2009, 06:37 AM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
I'm going slightly off-topic here but oh well.
I'm not so sure resistive has all that much to do with sunlight legibility. The best screen i've used EVER with regards to this is a 7 year old device. Namely the p800. And it had a resistive touch screen. It was so good at reflecting ambient light it didn't even have a backlight. It used some kind of strange front lighting technique.

Old 20-05-2009, 08:17 AM

snoyt is on a distinguished road
LG prada II vs N97? Both have very similar formfactor. Though in OS there could be a large difference...

Old 20-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
@unregistered [insert obligatory moan about unregistered people posting here]

The N93 was indeed special in many ways. But elegant and mass market it wasn't. I remember talking to a Nokia service engineer who basically ran away screaming whenever he saw someone coming in with an N93 - they were a NIGHTMARE to service and repair. All that twisting and folding made for an incredibly complex device.

One advantage of the tablet form factor is that there are almost no moving parts whatsoever. Simpler servicing, greater reliability, greater elegance. And I speak as an N93 fan.

Old 20-05-2009, 09:25 AM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
As a recent convert from N95+Blackberry to N95+iPhone I can say with confidence:

1. The full screen slate form factor is fabulous for most tasks
2. The supposedly best in class virtual keyboard is no match for a good thumboard (although that might be because I can type unusually fast and accurately on my Blackberry)
3. The virtual keyboard concept falls down completely if you need to create a spreadsheet on the fly. Now I know that not everyone needs to do that, but i find it very hard to keep switching between the sheet view and the little editor box which is all I can see when the keyboard is popped up. Given that spreadsheets are an important part of most businesses this is something that manufacturers should bear in mind when encouraging users to leave the laptop at home and rely on the mobile to get the job done.

With all that said I have to say I would probably switch to the iPhone as a standalone device if the battery was up to a full day of calls and push email, and if the signal strength was better (and I could move it onto Vodafone to use my company SIM). I would miss the multitasking but I think I could live with it.

Old 20-05-2009, 09:38 AM
djplus

skinning cats

there are lots of ways to skin a cat. but they all have to achieve the same thing.

we still have lots of different types of car but they, almost all, have 4 wheels and a steering wheel. so for phones I guess almost all of us like a touchscreen. hopefully that will become standard. but some of us want a keyboard (big, small, slide, fold, etc) too. no problem we're getting them.

maybe two main types of device then. the tablet and the keyboard. both with touchscreens. let's see how it goes.

however, keyboard and touchscreen hasn't worked for laptops (yet), a touchpad near the keyboard has been more useful. netbooks and slide out qwerty phones are pretty close to each other though in size and form. we'll see.

anybody for a kindle-a-like?

Old 20-05-2009, 10:22 AM

maartenmk is on a distinguished road
don't forget the D-pad!

The one thing I can't understand and regret is why so few of the 'slate' devices have a D-pad, for quickly moving through forms, lists etc, and of course for games. Surely that would fit without having to enlarge the device?
Especially for a non-multitouch device it seems like a must-have. For me it is (next to the flash) the biggest argument against the OmniaHD.

Old 20-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Unregistered

OF COURSE we've reached the perfect form factor. The perfect form factor is the one that's right for you. And as people have a variety of different needs and use cases, it requires a variety of different form factors (and hardware and software specs). Nuff said.

If ever there was a non-article, this is it.

Old 20-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Unregistered

Odd that UKJeeper states " to create MY perfect 'form factor' i'd essentially want to see something like the i8910 (or Toshiba's upcoming offering) with the N97's hinge and the E90's 'proper' keyboard.

I've used the 5800's, N810's, Viewty's, etc virtual keyboard and they just don't 'do it' for me. I don't like the loss of screen space while typing either.
The physical keyboards on the E71, Curve/Bold, Treo are just too small for me. (my idea of hell would be trapped with the Pearls keyboard!!!), so the Pre is simply a non-starter for me.

The E75's keyboard is better, but is like the Motorola's (RAZR) type buttons. Somewhere between real and 'virtual'."

Thus he admits the real-world limitations of most of the 'keyboards' offered as well as the fact that he'd prefer a physical to virtual type but then concludes
"So give me a tablet style phone, with large screen, and slide down/N97 keyboard"!!.

I find this bizarre as it is obvious that around *half* of the available Keyboard space is 'wasted' in the open configuration of the slider format and thus the keyboard is ***necessarily truncated**** to allow for it!
Compare the keyboards of the Nokia n810 or HTC TyTN2 to the E90's for proof and then consider that the E90 is only 57 mm wide as opposed to the n810's 72mm!
An improved e90 with the processor, flash memory (and MicroSD expansion slot), HSUPA, 5/8 Mpix camera, WVGA resolution touchscreen of 4.3-4.8 inches, running improved S60 5th Ed or the new Symbian Foundation OS is the way forward.
The e90 is also likely to be far more robust than the N97 (hinges, screen ribbon), to say nothing of the outer screen and keypad.
What is sure is that the N97 can only ever be a "placeholder" for the upgraded E90!
Ads

Old 20-05-2009, 01:28 PM

TomJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
however, keyboard and touchscreen hasn't worked for laptops (yet), a touchpad near the keyboard has been more useful. netbooks and slide out qwerty phones are pretty close to each other though in size and form. we'll see.
May I point you to a splendid device with the best ever pocketable qwerty keyboard and a touchscreen, running [strike]Symbian[/strike] EPOC?

Old 20-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by maartenmk View Post
The one thing I can't understand and regret is why so few of the 'slate' devices have a D-pad, for quickly moving through forms, lists etc, and of course for games. Surely that would fit without having to enlarge the device?
Especially for a non-multitouch device it seems like a must-have. For me it is (next to the flash) the biggest argument against the OmniaHD.
Seconded - Many people like to use their phones as mp3 players - you shouldn't have to look at the screen just to change tracks or adjust the volume!
Similarly a hardware lock switch is essential to ensure you can avoid looking at the screen.
If we're on the subject of games, analogue control is used on consoles and computers, just hasn't been solved for mobile devices yet. Shoulder buttons located where a phone's volume control is normally placed are a good addition as per most gaming controllers.

Unsuprisingly, if you add volume controls, a dpad and hardware lock switch, you arrive at a formfactor similar to the a1000, still one of the best formfactors without a qwerty keyboard.