All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Pandemonium hits N-Gage - but is it any good?

Not a flagship game for N-Gage by any means, Pandemonium brings 2D gameplay to a 3D world and ends up delighting Ewan, who recalls earlier versions of the game on N-Gage Classic and platforms from the 1990s. It hasn't changed much over the years, but at least here it's crisply presented, with cutscenes and extras that had to be omitted from the N-Gage Classic implementation five years ago.

Read on in the full article.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:59 PM

powerbacon is on a distinguished road
must say that this is the kind of demo i would like to see more at n-gage... i was playing, and was fun, makes me wanting more! the first demo that made this to me =D great game, unfortunately i have this for symbian, so... =]
ah! tzer2, could you please (obviously, if you can) post a screenshot comparison of pandemonium n-gage 1 and n-gage 2???
thanks in advance =D

Old 10-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
It is a good demo isn't it? There's enough gameplay to really get you into the game, I'm sure a lot of people will buy it because of the demo.

Here's Pandemonium on the original gen N-Gage:

Here's Pandemonium on the next gen N-Gage platform:

It's a lot easier to see what's happening on the new version, there's a lot more space on the screen around your character.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:15 PM

powerbacon is on a distinguished road
the colors get better, since n-gage 1 was only capable of showing 4096 colors =] 176x220 to 240x320 makes a massive difference too =D with these 2 screenshots i can say that the camera still on the same place from the char, but the screen is bigger so it shows more =D (like you said!)

one more thing to consider...
this is a port... from n-gage =D and it shows that not every port is a bad thing (like, unfortunately, all until now)

Old 11-05-2009, 08:31 AM

TomJ is on a distinguished road
As you mention WWP, is this a good point to ask if there's a review en route? If so, could I ask for comment on 5th ed touch integration? I can see that working brilliantly for Worms and it would strengthen the case I'm building up with myself to get an N97 when it comes out...

Old 11-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Unregistered

Controls?!?

Am I the only one that has issues with the controls? Why make "*" to change character and "9" to attack when these buttons are inaccessible in landscape mode? At least on my n95-8gb, not sure how it works on other models. Can't seem to change the controls to any accessible keys either without loosing another needed key. Is it just me???

Old 11-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Unregistered, the default Pandemonium controls on my N95 in horizontal mode are:

direction pad - directions

centre key - jump

button A (media key stop) - jump (same as centre key)

button B (media key play/pause) - fire

...which work extremely well, they're just like using a game boy.

They should be the same on your N95 8GB. The "9" key for fire is only meant for people playing the game in vertical mode.

The * key for changing character is only available just before you start playing a level, so it doesn't really matter which key it is because you're not going to be pressing it during the game proper.

But even if you don't like those controls, you can redefine the controls from the game's "options" menu so they can be whatever you want them to be.

Quote:
As you mention WWP, is this a good point to ask if there's a review en route? If so, could I ask for comment on 5th ed touch integration? I can see that working brilliantly for Worms and it would strengthen the case I'm building up with myself to get an N97 when it comes out...
Yes there is a WWP review waiting to be published, but we're saving it for a special reason. ;-)

We have no idea at all how they will integrate touch controls into the games on the N97. As far as I know, no one outside Nokia has played any N-Gage games on the N97 yet.

My guess would be that Nokia's first party titles will integrate touch more quickly, with the third party stuff from other publishers catching up gradually over time. That's just a guess though, I haven't actually tried N-Gage on the N97 (I haven't actually tried an N97 at all yet!).

Old 11-05-2009, 05:17 PM

TomJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes there is a WWP review waiting to be published, but we're saving it for a special reason. ;-)
Splendid, I shall wait with bated breath... 8-)

Quote:
We have no idea at all how they will integrate touch controls into the games on the N97. As far as I know, no one outside Nokia has played any N-Gage games on the N97 yet.
Aye, but if you can use touch on a 5800, I am prepared to bet it'll work on an N97.

Last edited by TomJ; 12-05-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Borked quote

Old 11-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Administrator

The big question mark over the N97 isn't the control method but the resolution.

The N97's resolution is almost four times larger than the current QVGA N-Gage phones, which means it has to work a lot harder to display graphics. Will the N97's hardware be able to cope?

2D games like Worms or Reset Generation shouldn't be a problem, but 3D stuff like Bounce or System Rush may not be so easy to do at 640x360 pixels.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:04 AM

ngreatshark is on a distinguished road
Cutscenes make this version 15 points better than the N-gage classic? Lol kidding, the hi res graphics & wider display definitely make more playable. It's a perfect mobile game, graphically I still get that "Wow" factor, it's easy to pick up and play & is very fun and engaging, more games like this would be a welcome addition to the N-gage library. Heck with the focus in gaming these days seemingly fixed on easy and intutive gameplay, I think more 3d graphic 2D action games are in order all across the board. Street Fighter 4 was a huge hit using that element.

We've got a few of the N-gage classic titles that have been revived on the N-gage platform, heres to hoping more are on the way, wouldn't mind seeing new or improved versions of games like PATHWAY TO GLORY, ASHEN, heck I'd even like to see a new Operation Shadow!
Ads

Old 12-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Ngreatshark, we've heard rumours that there is a third Pathway To Glory game in production. Also, if you try and visit pathwaytoglory.com you'll see it's password protected, so they're probably working on something new there.

As for re-releases the two games I'd most like to see brought back for next gen are Glimmerati (lots of people bought Asphalt so there's a market for arcade racers) and Rifts (which never got a fair chance to reach a wider audience on the original gen).

Old 13-05-2009, 04:36 AM
Unregistered

Control Problems?!?

Tzer2
Sorry Tzer2 I didn't give enough detail. The control mapped to 9 is for Fargus's special attack only. The other character special is double jump so is not affected. I've tried remapping it in options to a key which isn't hidden under the slider, but you can't do this without loosing one of the other keys?
Am I seriously the only one with this problem?

Old 13-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Unregistered, I get what you're saying now. You're right, this is a flaw in the Fargus character. Nikki doesn't matter because of the double-jump system, but Fargus is more difficult to use for the reason you mentioned.

What they should have done was allow you to use the centre key for either attack or weapon, but unfortunately the centre key is permanently set to jump.

There is a way to fix the problem you raise: Change the jump key to 9, which doesn't matter because you can still use centre for jump. You can then use the A key for the special attack and the B key for the weapon (or the other way round if you prefer). This isn't a perfect solution though because the centre key isn't really the best place for jump, it makes it difficult to steer while jumping.

Another solution is to set the B key to attack, and then change B to weapon when you have the weapon, as the weapon is more useful than the tumbling attack.

I think not everyone notices because a lot of people just stick with Nikki throughout the game, she's the default character and the double-jump makes her a bit easier to use when trying to reach coins.