All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 06-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Unregistered

Nokia need to:

a.) Accept they make computers, or things that have one of their use cases as computers
b.) Therefore add bluetooth mouse support to the OS - it would make a BIG difference
c.) Allow apps to use TV out at higher res. than 320 X 240. Gallery does it. RealPlayer does it. No one else does. Why not? Are the APIs hidden? What's going on? It should be 640 X 480 at least!

Old 06-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It should be 640 X 480 at least!
TV Out on the recently released 5800 is 640 x 360 as standard (because that's the screen resolution), so they're definitely getting there.

Bluetooth mouse support should be possible already if they would bother to write an app to support it. And future versions of Symbian will apparently have USB hosting ability so a USB mouse (and keyboard) might become possible too.
Ads

Old 06-01-2009, 11:32 PM
noB

Talking Nokia noBounds as mobile PC with HD-display

Some of this things has been evaluated in a very promising way already, if you search for the publications. What's about having a TFT + keyboard at home, and e.g. a high-resolution head-up display (powered by the phone) when travelling or for emerging countries if mains is unavailalbe? You'll do predominantely creative tasks when you've e.g. the keyboard connected, and consuming tasks if you've any HD display alone.

The Nokia Research guys elaborated this, and demonstrated that this works efficiently:
noBounds! project:
symbianwebblog.wordpress.com/2008/03/15/nobounds-expand-your-mobile-phones-display-to-a-hd-resolution/

This Video is quite intriguing. A remote GUI assembly with media decoding seems very feasible and a very realistic partitioning for mobile devices.

Processing power: The ARM Cortex based OMAP3 is much more efficient than an Intel Atom for the same application (e.g. HD Video recording & playback).
The lead is much bigger for web-browsing due to the >100 times idle power consumption relevant most of the time while browsing!
Whitepaper: focus.ti.com/pdfs/wtbu/ti_mid_whitepaper.pdf
Beagleboard: youtube.com/watch?v=cXr-D1wROfQ
nVidea Tegra: nvidia.com/object/product_tegra_600_us.html

Appearently the exisiting and even more the possibe mobile device platforms are more than powerful enough to handle PC like applications. Even fancy 3D interfaces are supported. What's next?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Unregistered

It depends on the usage

Are smartphones computers? Yes, by capabilities. Some even use them. But if 90% of PC buyers would not use the computer capabilities but use them as paper weights, would you be proud of this as a PC manufacturer? 90% of smartphone users do not use the phones as smartphones, but as dump phones. So I woudn't make a big fuss of being a largest computer manufacturer if I were Nokia, considering this....

Old 07-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Whats really needed is some sort of docking station. Rather than having to plug in power, mouse, keyboard, screen. 2 of those you could get away with using BT though.

Me? Id love to ditch the laptop and just use my phone. I could do it too, as long as it supported a decent res on output.

However I use dual monitors at work, Im not sure how long support for this would take!

Still, with proper display and input devices, it's possible to use it for work etc. Remote desktop, putty, VNC, office apps, need I go on?

Old 07-01-2009, 04:03 PM

TomJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Are smartphones computers? Yes, by capabilities. Some even use them. But if 90% of PC buyers would not use the computer capabilities but use them as paper weights, would you be proud of this as a PC manufacturer? 90% of smartphone users do not use the phones as smartphones, but as dump phones. So I woudn't make a big fuss of being a largest computer manufacturer if I were Nokia, considering this....
Are the majority of PCs used to their capability? i would wager the majority of PCs sold to consumers these days are used for email and browsing, with a subset also being used for other internet comms, another subset for gaming/media consumption and another subset for "office" type activities. (NB these are intersecting subsets) A vanishingly small proportion are used for their other capabilities. Now consider smartphones: the vast majority are used for voice and text comms, an increasing subset for browsing/other 'net access, a similarly increasing subset for media consumption/gaming and a small (but still increasing) subset for other applications (office, finance, navigation etc). As people realise they have the capability, these various subsets will grow.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:57 PM

n0k1a is on a distinguished road
I fully agree with the conclusion that smartphones are computers. In fact, I have been saying for several years that my E61 is certainly my favorite portable computer, and quite possibly my favorite computer of all types.

There is some justification for this conclusion on my part:

- Symbian OS was created by Psion, who I understand were once the world's largest manufacturer of portable computers (a number of which I have and like).

- I have a personal collection of probably well over 1000 computers, and the E61 outperforms the vast majority of them in countless ways.

- With the exception of the time I am forced to use a desktop PC at work, most of my computer usage is on my E61 (email, web browsing, and numerous other activities which surely fall squarely in the domain of computing tasks).

So, I say, Way To Go Nokia!