All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 22-04-2010, 06:58 AM
hmx

doesn't seem to be available for RM-529 ... :(

Old 22-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Unregistered

Free mem

I don't remember exactly how much memory was available previously, but I got 54MB free after booting. Checked with Y-Tasks.

I think it's pretty close to what it was previously, no big change either way. E71 is still better if you need more memory.

Old 22-04-2010, 08:42 AM

thegadgetfreak is on a distinguished road
Not bad, 54MB is pretty decent considering the fact that its 40Mb free RAM after a fresh boot in the older firmware(I'm runnning that now, update is not available for my region).

But 60MB should have been there since E75 running Ngage has 60 MB free RAM after a fresh boot...
Ads

Old 22-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As far as i know, even one of the best companies, namely apple and their iphone, microsoft and their windows, often do update their software.. It only goes to show, that they continually support their products and those who use it.. Nokia could have left you guys with the original firmware, and not much would complain about its bugs and flaws.. It was already good, but nokia is just making it better..
You could not be more correct. All companies upgrade their software with Nokia being one of them. However, you have to look at the number of things that Nokia is constantly fixing. It shows time and time again that they release unready software and then expect users to beta if for them. Not to say that Apple or Android is free from software upgrades, but it is so common place from Nokia that consumer confidence is on the downward slope. For me, I will never have another Nokia as a primary phone. They are simply not worth the money.

Old 22-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Unregistered

"For me, I will never have another Nokia as a primary phone. They are simply not worth the money."

According to you maybe, but there are plenty of people still willing to buy Nokia phones (and not just the bottom feeders). You may have your opinion, but others have to.

In any case this is about firmware upgrades for a Nokia phone. Why are you posting here if you hate Nokia so much?

Old 22-04-2010, 11:20 AM

For the apple fanboy(I'm guessing)

http://gizmodo.com/5520593/apple-rep...fle-headphones

For example check this, apple has had faults with its hardware also(so do others). So its always a good thing when companies issue upgrades or fix the problems... You cannot start anything perfect(Nobodys perfect)....

Old 22-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegadgetfreak View Post
For the apple fanboy(I'm guessing)

http://gizmodo.com/5520593/apple-rep...fle-headphones

For example check this, apple has had faults with its hardware also(so do others). So its always a good thing when companies issue upgrades or fix the problems... You cannot start anything perfect(Nobodys perfect)....
This would make sense if we were talking about hardware but we are talking about firmware issues, and the last thing you want to talk about is the crappy hardware Nokia has been releasing lately.

Hopefully they will get their act together in the future.

Old 23-04-2010, 03:29 AM

Quote:
This would make sense if we were talking about hardware but we are talking about firmware issues, and the last thing you want to talk about is the crappy hardware Nokia has been releasing lately.

Hopefully they will get their act together in the future.

Crappy hardware eh?? --

Camera with xenon flash, GPS, Wifi, composite video out - are technologies that have long been embedded in Nokia phones - more than 3 years now.

No other phone has had this hardware then(some not available today too) and you tell nokias hardware as crappy?? Just by adding smooth curves to a phone doesnt make it a good hardware!!!

Today Apple is still struggling with multitasking - something that symbian had been doing right from its old S60 OS.

People call the iphone a generation ahead??
See tomorrow when the iphone 4 gets released with video out, how much hype is created for a technology thats already old!!

Take phones like the N95 and E90(around 3 year old models).
They can still compete with the iphone in many ways - camera, GPS - with navigation(stored maps), dedicated buttons/keyboard, multitasking, swappable memory cards, removable battery... and the list goes on....

My point was about both software and hardware. There will be flaws and companies will upgrade them. Thats a good thing.

Period.

Old 23-04-2010, 06:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegadgetfreak View Post
Crappy hardware eh?? --

Camera with xenon flash, GPS, Wifi, composite video out - are technologies that have long been embedded in Nokia phones - more than 3 years now.

No other phone has had this hardware then(some not available today too) and you tell nokias hardware as crappy?? Just by adding smooth curves to a phone doesnt make it a good hardware!!!

Today Apple is still struggling with multitasking - something that symbian had been doing right from its old S60 OS.

People call the iphone a generation ahead??
See tomorrow when the iphone 4 gets released with video out, how much hype is created for a technology thats already old!!

Take phones like the N95 and E90(around 3 year old models).
They can still compete with the iphone in many ways - camera, GPS - with navigation(stored maps), dedicated buttons/keyboard, multitasking, swappable memory cards, removable battery... and the list goes on....

My point was about both software and hardware. There will be flaws and companies will upgrade them. Thats a good thing.

Period.
Yeah crappy hardware.

Did you forget the E90 problems, N95, N85, 5800, N97 (worse phone ever made), and the list goes on.

As far as multi-tasking is concerned, do you really think that Apple could not include multi-tasking? Really? Their implementation as well as that of Android, and soon to be added to the mix, Win Mobile 7 will is a much more elegant solution that what Symbian offers. Go look it up if you have no clue.

Adding features to a phone does not make it great. It just allows more things to go wrong. Hate it or love it, the iPhone and Android excel at what they do best. The same can't be said if Symbian because it does nothing exceptionally well. Well, let's say the UI is awful. The underlying OS is dated but still not terrible. The abortion that Nokia created by taking Symbian and then slapping a clunky, slow touch UI on it shows that Nokia still does not get the fact that the marriage has to be harmonious between the OS and the hardware. Again, Apple and Android have shown that top of the line hardware is not needed when there is good software at the heart. Nokia misses this time and time again. Great, more features to go wrong.

Go love your Nokia phone, and sit and wait by the NSU for those upgrades because for they are needed.

Old 23-04-2010, 07:30 AM

phil9500 is on a distinguished road
imap IDLE still not fixed. Will be my last Nokia in a long row.

Old 23-04-2010, 11:46 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah crappy hardware.

Did you forget the E90 problems, N95, N85, 5800, N97 (worse phone ever made), and the list goes on.
E90 got a hardware fix. Did Apple ever do a Hardware fix for the none-replaceable battery? Er no, cos it's "By design". Muppets. N95...? Forgive us, we thought that was the most successful SmartPhone/Multimedia Phone device of it's time, and likely even set the bar for what the iPhone had to be when it came out. 5800? Hugely successful low to mid range smartphone, with Full free large screen Sat-Nav with TTS. N97 - graceful design, that has sold well, but admittedly let down by limited RAM perhaps.

But to hold them all up as shining examples of Hardware FAILURES? It just highlights you lack of knowledge at best, or open biasedness at worst.

Quote:
As far as multi-tasking is concerned, do you really think that Apple could not include multi-tasking? Really? Their implementation as well as that of Android, and soon to be added to the mix, Win Mobile 7 will is a much more elegant solution that what Symbian offers. Go look it up if you have no clue.
We ALL think Apple could include Multi-tasking you eejit. The only relevance is whether Apple did, and sadly they didn't for the past however many years, meaning my mate can't leave Google Latitude running in the background on his swish iPhone, even though he would WANT to, for just one simple single example of how this restricts the whole platform.

Whether they could or couldn't is morose - that they chose NOT TO all these years is all that matters. Again, you don't help your case, you only self-defeat it... And WinMo7... Ha, would that be the OS that ALSO has no multi-tasking, relying on system API calls as a work-around cludge, and the OS with no copy and paste, but look like they are having to backtrack on that already (but not before launch - what a cock up). And would that also be the OS where all themes are with a dark background, to help keep battery drain down, due to the OLED display tech and poor battery tech for the OS itself?

In other words ANOTHER OS that LOOKS GREAT but is actually hugely lacking...

Wow - yup sounds light years ahead to me... remind me to rush out and work on Spreadsheet and Word files on THAT platform, with no copy and paste.

Quote:
Adding features to a phone does not make it great. It just allows more things to go wrong. (snipped) Again, Apple and Android have shown that top of the line hardware is not needed when there is good software at the heart. Nokia misses this time and time again. Great, more features to go wrong.

Go love your Nokia phone, and sit and wait by the NSU for those upgrades because for they are needed.
Adding features to a phone CAN help make it great. What colour is the sky on the planey where you live, if you think different?

Apple have NOT shown that none-top of line hardware is not needed at all, as they utilise this just as much, with fast processors, advanced screens, etc. Or are you ALWAYS going to pick and choose your opinions and back track on them wherever it suits you?

I think you'll find, that history has shown that NOKIA, with devices like the N95, have SET THE BAR for what others need to do, and without such devices, do you really think for one bigotted second, that Android and iPhones would be what they are now...?

Jeez, make it a BIT more obvious how biased you are, why don't you.

At least I have the good sense and honesty to admit that the GUI (but not the OS itself, which is actually terrible, and restrictive), on the iPhone is amazing, and that Android is a real and serious OS platform indeed.

You sir, are just a biased, bigoted, TROLL...

Now get back under your bridge and await the sheep passing overhead...

Old 23-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down Bugs...

This is my first smart phone and I must say, the experience has been less than satisfactory. I recently upgraded to version 31.xx and it royally fucked up things.

1. Smartconnect doesn't work? I don't know how it is supposed to work. I created a group called testgroup, added my 3g and wifi connection into the group. Then went to opera and tried to surf net. Status in smartconnect tells me that the group is connected but it is not making any effort to connect to my wifi or 3g.

Nevermind that it doesn't work. I went to destinations and added a few group called mytest, then moved the testgroup from smartconnect to mytest. I tried to get opera and email to connect via that, but failed. Same thing happened. It just connects to the group but group thingy doesn't connect out using 3g or wifi. I deleted from smartconnect. All hell broke loose.

Because Opera was still running, I think the phone somehow assumed testgroup to be still there. I managed to delete the entry from smartconnect. Then I went to destination, it said mytest has -1 access points. LOL? Ok nevermind, I try to delete. the moment I try to open mytest, it hangs, probably because of the -1 thing. Had to hard-reset the phone with *#7370# or something like that and reinstall everything back.

2. Today I got automated sms from my server monitoring systems but the sms list shows 2 random contacts instead of the server monitor's number. To my shock, my whole fucking contact list is jumbled up. Every contact has 3 or 4 numbers. Every number is shared by a few contacts in no particular order. Basically I no longer know how the fuck to call anyone because everything is cross linked. Had to delete everything, and recover from outlook. Oh btw, it fucked up my outlook contacts when I tried to sync, then i deleted outlook contacts and restored from a backup before it worked.

3. Long emails still kill email software. It simply disconnects and doesn't download any more mails beyond that point if I choose to use imap directly. It only works if I use the nokia messenging thing but that is super fucking slow. Reading a mail in html will take at least 30 seconds to retrieve.

4. TSMobiles doesnt' seem to hang the phone after patch 31.xx. That is the only unconfirmed good thing I noticed.

SAD. Fuck nokia. I should have gotten an iphone if not for my dislike for lack of multitask.

Old 23-04-2010, 01:31 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is my first smart phone and I must say, the experience has been less than satisfactory. I recently upgraded to version 31.xx and it royally fucked up things.

1. Smartconnect doesn't work? I don't know how it is supposed to work. I created a group called testgroup, added my 3g and wifi connection into the group. Then went to opera and tried to surf net. Status in smartconnect tells me that the group is connected but it is not making any effort to connect to my wifi or 3g.

Nevermind that it doesn't work. I went to destinations and added a few group called mytest, then moved the testgroup from smartconnect to mytest. I tried to get opera and email to connect via that, but failed. Same thing happened. It just connects to the group but group thingy doesn't connect out using 3g or wifi. I deleted from smartconnect. All hell broke loose.

Because Opera was still running, I think the phone somehow assumed testgroup to be still there. I managed to delete the entry from smartconnect. Then I went to destination, it said mytest has -1 access points. LOL? Ok nevermind, I try to delete. the moment I try to open mytest, it hangs, probably because of the -1 thing. Had to hard-reset the phone with *#7370# or something like that and reinstall everything back.
Why are you even USING SmartConnect for Opera - not a wonder things are going Royally t*ts up for you when you are mixing Destinations, AND SmartConnect!

All that SmartConnect has been added for, is those errant few programs that don't actually support "Destinations" as built in to FP2 devices anyway.

I appreciate you might not understand the difference, and be frustrated by the overlap as it were, but nevertheless, going ballistic about your issue, when all it comes down to is a lack of knowledge and understanding on your own part, is not justifiable.

Opera does not need SmartConnect. If you have correctly configured your "Destinations" (and it won't be now, that's for sure), then that is all you need Opera to utilise.

SmartConnect is so that you may create your own pseudo-access point, which is actually a 'group' for those applications that can't use "Destinations" and the one after the other attempt at connections, instead.

What you describe above is EXACTLY what one would expect to happen, when having done what you have mate.

So don't blame the phone.

If you want info on how to configure Destinations and SmartConnect though, just ask here, and I'll be happy to walk you through it.

Quote:
2. Today I got automated sms from my server monitoring systems but the sms list shows 2 random contacts instead of the server monitor's number. To my shock, my whole fucking contact list is jumbled up. Every contact has 3 or 4 numbers. Every number is shared by a few contacts in no particular order. Basically I no longer know how the fuck to call anyone because everything is cross linked. Had to delete everything, and recover from outlook. Oh btw, it fucked up my outlook contacts when I tried to sync, then i deleted outlook contacts and restored from a backup before it worked.
I genuinely believe your not telling us all here... Did this just happen all by itself, or after a Sync of some sort, whether it be experimenting with Ovi Sync, Outlook or whatever...?

I've NEVER, not ever heard of what you describe happening following a Firmware update, though I have heard of UDP not managing to keep ANY data at all. But never mess it all up like this.

But be fair - what Android or iPhone even HAS UDP like Nokias do... with them, if you wipe, you have to do a re-sync. There is no data protection on Firmware updates in the same way as best I know.

So it sounds to us like a sync has gone wrong - and if so, I can tell you horror stories of this, on virtually any phone platform I have ever owned - Windows Mobile being the worst.

If you followed instructions, despite UDP, you should have made a Contacts Backup before updating. You can even easily do this on the phone itself, to memory card.

And if so, once you realised you had an issue, a simple delete of all current contacts, and then one click Restore from backup, would have fixed it for you in mere seconds.

Again your yelling when you haven't followed instructions?

Quote:
3. Long emails still kill email software. It simply disconnects and doesn't download any more mails beyond that point if I choose to use imap directly. It only works if I use the nokia messenging thing but that is super fucking slow. Reading a mail in html will take at least 30 seconds to retrieve.
I use Nokia messaging fine here for all my myriad Email needs, and to be fair, whilst I won't even say I particularly like it loads, nevertheless, it does what is required, and I use it with my full Google Apps domain.

Quote:
4. TSMobiles doesnt' seem to hang the phone after patch 31.xx. That is the only unconfirmed good thing I noticed.
Don't even know what TSMobiles is, but hey, one piece of good news, is, er, good news!

Quote:
SAD. Fuck nokia. I should have gotten an iphone if not for my dislike for lack of multitask.
Nope, you should have got an iPhone because it sounds like you like to yell about other people's mistakes, and had you of gotten an iPhone, you could have had so much more to then yell about...

Grins.

Like I say though, if you need help with Destinations and SC, let us know...

Old 23-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Unregistered

Hi there, thanks for the replies.

Firstly, using smartconnect for opera is for me to test its functionality. I am not a symbian developer so I am not aware of how different the programs make the calls. If you can throw me a link for smartconnect's dummy guide, I'd be most grateful.

Also, the -1 access point thing is clearly a bug. Just let me delete that 'corrupted' destination ffs.

The sync thing, well, is like what I told you. It just messed up after 1 update. The only thing I tried after the patch is to play with smartconnect. I don't think that does anything to the contacts so I am pretty sure it is due to some bug.

I don't know about you but here in singapore, nokia messaging is pretty slow when I try to view it in html. Viewing it in the default text format is fast though. If I do a 'view in html' using imap directly, it is easily 20 times faster than via nokia messaging.

Old 23-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Unregistered

And one last thing to add and this is probably where all my unhappiness stems from. I asked nokia about the imap bug by submitting some form. After a week, they got back to me and ask if the issue goes away by itself...

Best part is, they say, if the problem persists, please reply the mail. I replied, mail bounced and say that mail address does not accept incoming mails. GG.

I am stuck with this product because of a 2yr contract. I am going around forums to try to find out how to make my life better by working around the problems I face.