Old 26-07-2007, 07:44 PM

eyedoubleyou is on a distinguished road
4GB Micro SD Cards ? Are the too slow?

Okay,

My dilemma,

Buy a 4GB MIcro SD card (Class2)

or

Buy a 2GB Micro SD Card (Ultra)

Is the 4GB Micros SD too slow, I basically want to watch divx files and also play music.

Advice please, anyone got one?

Old 26-07-2007, 08:20 PM

Biggzy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedoubleyou View Post
Okay,

My dilemma,

Buy a 4GB MIcro SD card (Class2)

or

Buy a 2GB Micro SD Card (Ultra)

Is the 4GB Micros SD too slow, I basically want to watch divx files and also play music.

Advice please, anyone got one?
im using the sandisk 4 gig micro SDHC and its not slow at all, it takes 4 mins to drop 1 gig of music on to it using the suplied usb card reader, if anything, its faster than the 2 gig

It's not technology, it's what you do with it.

Old 26-07-2007, 08:21 PM

Peter321 is on a distinguished road
I don't think it's too slow - I'm not even sure the N95 takes advantage of the Ultra cards.

I have 2GB Sandisk UltraII and it MUCH faster in my card-reader compared to using it in the N95 in mass-storage mode.

Old 26-07-2007, 08:53 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
I used a ultra 2 mini SD in my N93 when I had it and they just crashed and burned. I had to send them back and swap for standard mini SD's

The MicroSDHC 4Gb currently out is plenty quick enough. If it can handle playback of high bitrate, 30FPS VGA MP4 video it is quick enough!!

Old 27-07-2007, 01:07 AM

androo87 is on a distinguished road
I agree with everyone - not had any problems with a £40 4GB SanDisk MicroSD SDHC I got on ebay (although agree ebay memcards sometimes cannot be trusted).

Recorded a few several min HQ videos and not <b>noticed</b> any stuttering. Using the card in a USB reader and Windows Media Player 11 I have transferred 3.5GB of music on to it in less than the time it takes to grab a coffee.

I'd go for it!

Old 27-07-2007, 08:48 AM

HoundDog is on a distinguished road
I had the Sandisk Ultra II 2GB card, then changed to the Sandisk SDHC 4GB card and haven't noticed any difference in speed, from Maps, Gallery etc.

Old 27-07-2007, 11:59 AM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
No problems with my 4GB MicroSD.. works beautifully and very very fast..

Old 28-07-2007, 05:29 PM

Zayshan is on a distinguished road
I have both the 2Gb Micro SD Ultra and the 4Gb Micro SD memory cards. I personally reckon the 4Gb seems to be a tad faster when Iím downloading my music via card reader. Thereís really not a big difference.
Ads

Old 28-07-2007, 10:20 PM

Finally got round to doing a test...

I timed how long it takes to copy a 210MB file from my laptop to a Sandisk 2GB Ultra II SD Micro and Sandisk 4GB SDHC Micro through both the phone and the card reader that came with the SDHC card. Here's the results...

Through the card reader...
2GB Ultra II took 27 seconds
4GB SDHC took 42 seconds

Through the phone...
2GB Ultra II took 4 minutes and 8 seconds
4GB SDHC took 4 minutes and 9 seconds

This shows the although the Ultra II card is a lot faster in a card reader, it doesn't make a difference in the phone. But it does also show, how slow the phone is in Data Transfer mode compared to a card reader.

Old 28-07-2007, 11:01 PM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Hounddog,
What you've done is test the cards on the end of one bus that will show the difference in the cards and one that reflects the speed of the bus on the phone! Copying through the phone is always only going to show one speed. Now a read and write test between card and phone mem, that should do the trick! I would try it but I'm all Ultra II!

Old 29-07-2007, 10:44 AM

Good point, I've run another test...

This time I've timed how long it takes to move a 100MB file from the phone memory to the card memory and back again, using only the File Manger app on the phone itself, using the same two cards I mentioned above. I did each transfer a number of times to verify as well.

Moving from Memory card to phone memory...
2GB Ultra II took 1 minute and 19 seconds
4GB SDHC took 1 minute and 19 seconds

Moving from phone memory to memory card...
2GB Ultra II took 54 seconds
4GB SDHC took 51 seconds

It still looks pretty even, in fact the SDHC seems slighter faster at writing to the card than the Ultra II (which was a surprise). It just looks like the phone isn't fast enough to use the extra speed the Ultra II provides. But I'll welcome anyone else to run the same tests and see if you get similar results.

If you transfer a lot of data using a memory card reader then maybe the Ultra II is for you, I myself much prefer the extra space in the SDHC card.

Last edited by HoundDog; 29-07-2007 at 10:46 AM.

Old 29-07-2007, 11:26 AM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
Good point, I've run another test...

This time I've timed how long it takes to move a 100MB file from the phone memory to the card memory and back again, using only the File Manger app on the phone itself, using the same two cards I mentioned above. I did each transfer a number of times to verify as well.

Moving from Memory card to phone memory...
2GB Ultra II took 1 minute and 19 seconds
4GB SDHC took 1 minute and 19 seconds

Moving from phone memory to memory card...
2GB Ultra II took 54 seconds
4GB SDHC took 51 seconds

It still looks pretty even, in fact the SDHC seems slighter faster at writing to the card than the Ultra II (which was a surprise). It just looks like the phone isn't fast enough to use the extra speed the Ultra II provides. But I'll welcome anyone else to run the same tests and see if you get similar results.

If you transfer a lot of data using a memory card reader then maybe the Ultra II is for you, I myself much prefer the extra space in the SDHC card.
Good work!
That's an interesting result and when you consider it, it may be highly logical!
The phone will see a nominal throughput speed which will be governed by the phone architecture. As long as any mem card can achieve speeds higher than the nominal speed then that's all you will get!
Unless you have some apps multitasking and then the call for speed will increase! I don't know if the phone uses interupts or parallel calls so I can't go any further with that one!
Does anyone know the answer to that?
BTW the space on your mem card is governed by the file format and fat16 is not an efficient way of storing data and will over time reduce the max available memory because of the size of, and the way it uses, clusters!

Last edited by pa49; 29-07-2007 at 11:37 AM.

Old 29-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Can anyone confirm if they have a 4gb card working on a 6110 navigator?

Old 29-07-2007, 02:40 PM

I've also noticed something else while I've been messing around with the cards.

I always like to format any kind of storage media in the device it's going to be used in most, I always think this way it's optimised for device you're going to use it in. Therefore each time I get a new card, I've formated it in the phone before I've used it.

The N95 formats the 4GB SDHC card in FAT32 but the 2GB Ultra II in FAT16.

Last edited by HoundDog; 29-07-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Old 30-07-2007, 10:08 AM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
Can anyone confirm if they have a 4gb card working on a 6110 navigator?
No offense but this might not be the best place to ask, what with this being an N95 forum!