All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-07-2007, 01:52 PM

drrock is on a distinguished road
No Update from V10

Hi,

Just bought an N95 yesterday, bloke in shop said updating to v11 or better firmware should be my 1st job.

Just trying to do that and the Nokia Software Updater insists nothing beyond v10 for my phone (N95 on Orange in UK).

Any ideas what I am doing wrong or how to force the update or whatever please?

Cheers,

Lee.

Old 16-07-2007, 02:03 PM

Steve_R is on a distinguished road
You need to use Nemesis Service Suite (NSS) to change the product code, then use Nokia updater.

Have a quick search in the N95 forum, there is loads of thread with instructions on how to do it.

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 16-07-2007, 02:42 PM

Sorry if I am being stupid but I have found the s/w but no hints on making the changes you suggest.

Could you point me at some / explain please?

Cheers, Lee.

Old 16-07-2007, 03:25 PM

Zayshan is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrock View Post
Sorry if I am being stupid but I have found the s/w but no hints on making the changes you suggest.

Could you point me at some / explain please?

Cheers, Lee.

Hi Lee, I had the same problem as you when I bought the N95 on Orange. Orange has NOT put out any updates for firmware which means its full of bugs! The only way round it is to de-brand the phone by using the NSS software then update the Nokia firmware using the Nokia Updater! For all of this to happen you have to find a really good step by step guide.

*BEFORE using this guide make sure you do your homework properly on this because if done wrong you can brick your phone unable it to use it again*

Here is the one I used:

The Guide:
1. Ensure that you have installed the Nokia PC Suite (on the CD supplied with the phone), make sure that your phone is connected via the USB cable and that it has been detected.

2. Download the following 2 pieces of software:
Nemesis Service Suite - Direct download link
The Nokia Software Updater
Note, although at the time of writing the site does not list the N95, the updater does include the updated N95 firmwear. Therefore simply select the N93 instead, this will then allow you do download the updater.

3. Install Nemesis Service Suite. Open the program and then click the "Scan for new Device" icon in the top right of the screen. The screen should then be filled with information, click the "Phone Info" button at the top of the screen. Then click the "Read" button. Amongst other things this will show you the current product code of your phone. You now need to change this to a generic Nokia code. A standard code for the UK that you can use is 0534841, for a full list of codes see The Nokia Blog. Replace the current product code with this new code. Then check the enable box and click the "Write button". You have now changed your phones product code! You can double check this by clicking the read button again; this should show your new product code.

4. You may at this stage wish to back up you contacts/files to carry over to the unbranded phone, to do this use Backup utility within the Nokia PC Suite.

5. You now just have to install the new firmware update. Make sure that you phone is connected to you computer through the USB cable and then open the Nokia Software Updater that you previously downloaded. Follow the step by step instructions and install the new firmwear. Do not at any time disconnect the phone until it tells you that it is safe to do so. Note the phone will restart itself during the update process.

6. That's it, you phone has now been debranded! You can now restore your files/contacts by going back into the Backup utility, however I suggest that you do not restore settings to the phone as this puts back some annoying operator defaults such has changed menu layouts.

7. If you wish to update your phones firmwear in the future you simply need to use the Nokia Updater as usual as your phones product code will not need changing again.
Ads

Old 16-07-2007, 08:39 PM

Hi,

That worked a treat thanks, only problem is I now have the menu and calendar summary and stuff missing from the front screen. Any idea how I can put that back.

Sorry for being such a newbie.

Lee.

Old 16-07-2007, 09:30 PM

Zayshan is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Hi,

That worked a treat thanks, only problem is I now have the menu and calendar summary and stuff missing from the front screen. Any idea how I can put that back.

Lee.

Hi Lee

Tools - Settings - General - Personalisation - Standby Mode - Active Standby (Turn it On)

Hope this helps

Old 16-07-2007, 09:33 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer check this

Quote:
Hi,

Lee.
menu / tools / settings / general / personalisation / standby mode

set on ..
all good

Old 23-07-2007, 11:50 AM

meso100 is on a distinguished road
Zayshan - just a quick one to say thanks a lot for the advice you gave on this thread.

I have successfully managed to change my product code and firmware thanks to your instructions. Really pleased with V12