All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-09-2004, 02:42 PM

nifty_nigel10 is on a distinguished road
n-gage qd questions?

hi im new to these forums, for a while now ive been considerin gettin an n-gage qd for a while now and i have some questions (plz b patient if some questions r stupid)
can you download an mp3 player for it?
can you watch movies on it?
is it mac compatible?
wots the gprs like, can you view any web page?

sorry if some of the questions are stupid

thanks nigel

Old 12-09-2004, 03:29 PM

absi is on a distinguished road
Cool answers... to nigel's questions!! lol.

hi nigel... the answers are 1) i think the n-gage qd has a built-in mp3 player so i don't think there's a need to download a mp3 player onto the game deck.. (but even if it isn't there it can be downloaded!) 2) yeah u can watch movies on it if u have a big size mmc to have the movies in... normally the matrix has around 70 megs of data space occupied.. 3) maybe, am not sure! and 4) yeah u can view the web pages using gprs.. i hope i have answered the answers to yr needs.bi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifty_nigel10
hi im new to these forums, for a while now ive been considerin gettin an n-gage qd for a while now and i have some questions (plz b patient if some questions r stupid)
can you download an mp3 player for it?
can you watch movies on it?
is it mac compatible?
wots the gprs like, can you view any web page?

sorry if some of the questions are stupid

thanks nigel

Old 12-09-2004, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by absi
hi nigel... the answers are 1) i think the n-gage qd has a built-in mp3 player so i don't think there's a need to download a mp3 player onto the game deck.. (but even if it isn't there it can be downloaded!) 2) yeah u can watch movies on it if u have a big size mmc to have the movies in... normally the matrix has around 70 megs of data space occupied.. 3) maybe, am not sure! and 4) yeah u can view the web pages using gprs.. i hope i have answered the answers to yr needs.bi.
yea pretty much answers things, i just need to know if its mac compatible ie will my mac recognise it if i plug it into the usb port, i think maybe real player will play mp3s i read that in between posting the questions and gettin ur reply, but im sure if it doesnt like u say i cud download one, full web capabilties would be sweet, just gotta know if it's mac compatible now, can anyone help me out on this?

thanks

Old 12-09-2004, 05:50 PM

kishtya is on a distinguished road
Cool

sorry to say but the above answers to your question are wrong . Those answers are for ngage and not for ngage QD.
1) Ngage QD does not have a built in mp3 player. But there are some good mp3 players (Ultramp3, real will not play mp3) available. but remember ngage qd has mono output, no stero.
2) yup u can watch movies. get smart movie, its the best player.
3) I am not familiar with mac, but remember ngage QD does not have a USB connection like ngage. It works on Bluetooth. So if u have a working bluetooth 1.1 dongle installed on your mac then it will detect Ngage QD.
4) download netfront, or Opera for browsing. But if u plan too browse from ur ngage QD, BUY A MMC CARD or you may face a wsod(see forum)

Old 12-09-2004, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishtya
sorry to say but the above answers to your question are wrong . Those answers are for ngage and not for ngage QD.
1) Ngage QD does not have a built in mp3 player. But there are some good mp3 players (Ultramp3, real will not play mp3) available. but remember ngage qd has mono output, no stero.
2) yup u can watch movies. get smart movie, its the best player.
3) I am not familiar with mac, but remember ngage QD does not have a USB connection like ngage. It works on Bluetooth. So if u have a working bluetooth 1.1 dongle installed on your mac then it will detect Ngage QD.
4) download netfront, or Opera for browsing. But if u plan too browse from ur ngage QD, BUY A MMC CARD or you may face a wsod(see forum)
yea i have built in bluetooth so it should detect it, btw what dyu mean by mono output and not stereo whats the difference? infact what is mono, can u help me out wit this too, thanks

Old 13-09-2004, 12:28 AM

neocliff is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
yea i have built in bluetooth so it should detect it, btw what dyu mean by mono output and not stereo whats the difference? infact what is mono, can u help me out wit this too, thanks
Mono output is single channel, stereo output is two channels - left and right. If you can only hear out of one ear, you hear mono sound. If you can hear out of both ears, you hear stereo sound.

Old 13-09-2004, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neocliff
Mono output is single channel, stereo output is two channels - left and right. If you can only hear out of one ear, you hear mono sound. If you can hear out of both ears, you hear stereo sound.
so does that mean on some of those songs where certain parts (eg a guitar riff) are played through one speaker and the other parts of the song are played through the other speaker, does that mean il only hear say the drums and not the guitar riff as well, or does it mean ill hear evrything out of each speaker (im aware the qd only has one speaker but lets say we're using headphones)

Old 13-09-2004, 07:37 PM

Onizuka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
so does that mean on some of those songs where certain parts (eg a guitar riff) are played through one speaker and the other parts of the song are played through the other speaker, does that mean il only hear say the drums and not the guitar riff as well, or does it mean ill hear evrything out of each speaker (im aware the qd only has one speaker but lets say we're using headphones)

If the mp3 is encoded in mono, you will hear all instruments but only on one channel (meaning you'll hear it all from the speaker or your dual mono headset). If it's encoded in stereo, you wont hear all the instruments.

Old 14-09-2004, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka
If the mp3 is encoded in mono, you will hear all instruments but only on one channel (meaning you'll hear it all from the speaker or your dual mono headset). If it's encoded in stereo, you wont hear all the instruments.
how to i find out if its encoded in mono or not?

Old 15-09-2004, 08:22 PM

beskippy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka
Do you even have a QD?

All the stereo MP3s that I've played back on the QD combine both left and right channels into the single mono output (which is then heard in both ears on the dual mono headset). That is to say, you "hear all the instruments", they just aren't separated into left/right as they were originally.

Other than the scant amount of music out there that uses stereo separation effects to "fatten" the sound, most tunes sound just fine when played back through the QD's dual mono headset. Original N-Gage owners bitch and moan about how mono sucks compared to stereo, but when you're riding the bus with your earbuds in, you really don't hear the difference. Sitting at home with $150 headphones on, you'll notice it; but if i'm sitting at home, I'll play the CD on my stereo.

Old 15-09-2004, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beskippy
Original N-Gage owners bitch and moan about how mono sucks compared to stereo, but when you're riding the bus with your earbuds in, you really don't hear the difference.
I beg to differ. MONO is bad. Bad bad bad. There's no way around it. You QD owners can try kidding yourselves all you want , but a portable MONO music player is pretty much useless. The sound is "tinny" and there's no bass, and like it's been mentioned - the instruments/voices isn't separated . It's very easy for original N-Gage owners to check out just have much difference this makes, by simply installing a 3rd party MP3 player. The original N-Gage has a separate chip for its stereo MP3 player, other system sounds will be played back in MONO. It makes a world of difference, at least to me.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 15-09-2004, 10:03 PM
nerofire

Question

First,
1. does N-Gage QD really have mono output?
2. Why do I get a stereo headset if it is mono?

if Q.1 = yes. then forget the rest what i wrote down here but please try to answer my Q.2

if Q. 1 = no, N-Gage QD doesn't really have mono output(which means, it is stereo), forgot Q. 2. Ofcourse you still get mono sounds if you play mp3 with ultramp3/other 3rd-party mp3 player that released for s60 phones, because they are meant for phones like nokia 6600/3650/7610 which is obviously has mono sound output.

So, if QD do have stereo sounds, it is only matter of time that someone will create a mp3 player which is optimized for QD phones.

Old 15-09-2004, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

For the hundredth time, NO the QD is not capable of producing stereo sound! It's a hardware thing, no software will change that.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 16-09-2004, 07:41 AM
nerofire

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
For the hundredth time, NO the QD is not capable of producing stereo sound! It's a hardware thing, no software will change that.
it was just a thought, however, i wonder if there's a documented official nokia guide mentions that QD wether it's mono or stereo.

sorry if this made u upset, but i really got interested to compare the normal n-gage and n-gage QD.

anyway, from what you're saying, the stereo(dual speaker) headset i got here, doesn't really produce stereo sounds? why would nokia put a stereo headset to a mono phone? wouldn't QD become cheaper if it is packaged with a mono headset(handsfree)?
Ads

Old 16-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerofire
why would nokia put a stereo headset to a mono phone?
I dunno. But the thing is that the original N-Gage is also a MONO phone in the sense that it is only the Music Player app and the Radio that is capable of producing stereo sound output. These two apps are separate from the rest of the system - they have their dedicated chips in the hardware. Unlike other phones like the Siemens SX1 and P800/P900 etc. which have stereo sound output implemented into the system. Like I mentioned earlier, an easy way to check this is by installing a 3rd party music player on the original - which, unlike the default Music player app, will only give you 16kHz MONO output.