All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-10-2010, 08:14 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
Info on: Changing Product Code/N8 product Codes

Just so I don't get screwed by Orange's inability to get updates out, anyone know how to change the product code yet?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 25-10-2010, 09:30 PM

Biggzy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yade View Post
Just so I don't get screwed by Orange's inability to get updates out, anyone know how to change the product code yet?

Thanks,

Mike
Hi, from what i have read the only way to debrand a n8 is to flash with phoenix 2010, NSS nor jaf cant change the n8's product code.

It's not technology, it's what you do with it.

Old 26-10-2010, 08:00 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
Hi, from what i have read the only way to debrand a n8 is to flash with phoenix 2010, NSS nor jaf cant change the n8's product code.
Oh knickers!

Old 01-11-2010, 01:10 PM

evilweasel is on a distinguished road
...I've not tried it (yet ) but this link seems to suggest flashing a Symbian^3 (inc. the N8)phone is possible with Nemesis Service Suite http://nokia.nigelcoldwell.co.uk/firmware.htm. Having said that I would normally believe what Biggyz says, he usually know his stuff !

It also list the product codes for the N8 (for a full list see N8Owner's post here http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=97016)

...I've not found confirmation that the N8 has been 'Vanilla-ised' yet, but I haven't looked too far yet . Who's gonna be the first trailblazer on here then

Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 PM

N8Owner is on a distinguished road
I couldn't do it with NSS but I did manage to sort out a lot of trouble with this:
http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/noki...languages.html

I went from a branded phone to a generic Euro method. Ofcourse, it goes without saying, only those comfortable doing this should try it. If you brick your phone you have no warranty to fall back on.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilweasel View Post
...I've not tried it (yet ) but this link seems to suggest flashing a Symbian^3 (inc. the N8)phone is possible with Nemesis Service Suite http://nokia.nigelcoldwell.co.uk/firmware.htm. Having said that I would normally believe what Biggyz says, he usually know his stuff !

...I've not found confirmation that the N8 has been 'Vanilla-ised' yet, but I haven't looked too far yet . Who's gonna be the first trailblazer on here then
The top method doesn't work, I have tried.

I have done the second and it works using Phoenix.
Ads

Old 01-11-2010, 02:10 PM

evilweasel is on a distinguished road
Cool

....cheers for the info N8Owner

Now we have confirmation the Phoenix route is the way to go

Old 01-11-2010, 02:16 PM

I am not saying the product code changes. I can't remember if it did or not as I initally applied generic Euro firmware and it worked and then returned it to my network specific version so I could use BBC iPlayer and their Skype client.

What I am saying is that flash it with any regional version you want and it works but I can't tell you 100% that the product code will change.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:01 PM

Biggzy is on a distinguished road
Even tho phoenix can flash the N8 it will not change the product code, during flashing it states product code changed, but after a check it didnt change, nor trying to do it manually via phoenix will change it, so at the mo there is no way to change it as far as i know, so all the people that want to debrand need to flash with phoenix.

It's not technology, it's what you do with it.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
I'm just gonna sticky this post for a bit... as Im sure theres going to be a few rounds of these questions

Old 08-11-2010, 09:57 AM

maalicious is on a distinguished road
I got mine from Tesco. Although there weren't many Tesco loaded features, I thought of flashing a proper firmware from Nokia and tried to do it with phoenix. I have only used JAF previously and when I started flashing the phone, phoenix said some files were missing and if it was OK to continue. I clicked yes and flashing started and the phone died. I had to contact Tesco and they replaced it! So, phoenix is not always successful I guess!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:00 PM

kpblxa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by maalicious View Post
I got mine from Tesco. Although there weren't many Tesco loaded features, I thought of flashing a proper firmware from Nokia and tried to do it with phoenix. I have only used JAF previously and when I started flashing the phone, phoenix said some files were missing and if it was OK to continue. I clicked yes and flashing started and the phone died. I had to contact Tesco and they replaced it! So, phoenix is not always successful I guess!
you should have flashed it in dead mode - works like a charm

Old 03-12-2010, 10:13 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
my problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpblxa View Post
you should have flashed it in dead mode - works like a charm
was the phone wasn't even recognised as a device by windows.
It was really really dead.
You could long press the power button to reset it .. Phoenix would see the phone for a fraction of a second and then it was gone again.

I haven't found a decent guide to "dead mode" .. I'd appreciate any insight or pointers to online info you might have.

Cheers

Old 03-01-2011, 10:16 PM

henrysclerk is on a distinguished road
I got mine from Tesco. Although many functions Tesco tax, I thought of flashing the firmware from Nokia is a fair and try to do with Phoenix. I've only used JAF already started to flash when I call, Phoenix was missing some files and asked if it was good to go. I click yes and start blinking and the phone is deceased. I contacted Tesco and they changed it! So Phoenix is not always successful, I think.

Old 15-01-2011, 10:34 PM

bobmarty is on a distinguished road
sipVoipSdk

I had the similiar problem and finally I found solution:

www.sipVoipSdk.com