All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-11-2006, 03:09 PM

Saint-Just is on a distinguished road
Red face Ooops... Doh!

Time to 'fess up:
I have been exploring (read: experimenting with) my 9300i. It has meant upgrading to "Tiger" (MacOS 10.4) to be able to Sync, and loose a few (1600!) emails in the process (don't ask ) but this time I believe I out did myself:
Hotspot finder and Acrobat reader are supplied on 128MMC that comes with the phone.
I got myself a 1Gb MMC for maps with Tomtom and music. Realised that I had lost the above applications.
Nothing to it, just move them from MMC to Communicator (into System->Apps).
No Wifi @ home, so go to the local Café with Wifi.
Application doesn't work!
Right, put think hat on (bad mistake) and it becomes obvious: I moved the App instead of installing it. How can one be so stupid! and I angrily deleted the 2 folders.
Back home, change MMC for the 128Mb one... No Hotspot finder and Acrobat reader
Conlusion: "Move" in Symbian talk is exactly that, even if the process is similar to "Copy file" on a PC (or Mac).
I wrote to Psiloc, giving them all the details of my phone, but I am not holding my breath.
1) What should I have done to get an App working on the MMC to install on Smartphone (I do not remember seeing an install file, but it may be me looking for a lame excuse)
2) What do you suggest my next move should be, short of buying Hotspot finder since it is supposed to be part of the package (or was it only a demo?)

Old 05-11-2006, 03:29 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Do You already search on Nokia Site if they have the application to download for that phone?
Ads

Old 05-11-2006, 04:35 PM

Thank you nj7.
For the 1st time I have been able to find something on nokia website.
Not only did I find the apps, I also learnt that it was a trial version.
So, my next question is:
Should I pay the money for Hotspot finder or is there another app to do the job that you would recommend?

As for question 1) in my previous post, is "use PC suite" the answer? can't it be done by copying file (sis or zip) direct to MMC?

Old 05-11-2006, 06:54 PM

I think that is the only application of that kind. Te other way, is using the phone itself, and search hotspot with the phone...
The content of card can be a dirct copy / past way. Only, on PC with File Explorer, put the option "Show all files" and "Show system files". That way, You can see all card content and do a direct copy from one card to another.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:09 PM

WST is on a distinguished road
Hi,

After my fiasco with the E61, I sold it and got myself 9300i
I tried hotspot finder and I think it's good but priced too high (I wouldn't think twice about buying it if it was half the price), but I might cave in later and buy at at theat price

But as nj7 said, it's the only app of its kind. I guess if you are a frequent traveler it will be very useful, but if it's the occasional wifi spot you might be able to live without it.

On a side note, a must have app is Metro (and it's free )
http://www.nanika.net/Metro/

BTW, SIS stands for Symbian Installation System, and I believe that's all you need to install applications.

What you could've done is copied the files (SIS) from the 128MB card (they must be there somewhere) to the 9300i memory (named Communicator), inserted the 1GB card and moved the files to it. Open the SIS files (with File Manager) and it will launch Application Manger and the installation process starts. I would never transfer the application files (files that are created after the installation of a SIS file), just the SIS files and do a "fresh" install.

I hope this helps. Good luck...

Old 05-11-2006, 10:21 PM

1)nj7
I wanted to have the apps in the z drive (is that the correct way to designate the Communicator?)
2)WST
a) congratulations for your new phone. It is also an excellent piece of news for me because it means you will not have to call on your memory when I cry for help again
b) I am starting to understand a few things. What I had done is ask to show system files, then throught File Manager move the FOLDERS of the respective apps into the Apps folder of z drive. It does not work!
Using SIS file and application manager is how I will do it from now on.
Without another choice I will probably decide to buy the hotspot finder. Having access to the net was a big factor in my choice of phone, but I think I already give WAY TOO MUCH money to my network operator.
Also, I travel from the UK to France on a fortnightly basis and it could help. Which brings me neatly to Metro...
I am going to try it out in the next few minutes/days/weeks but it looks brilliant. Thanks for the link, and do not hesitate to keep them coming

Old 05-11-2006, 10:53 PM

You can touch Z drive, is the ROM drive, not possible to be accessed by user.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:32 PM

OK, I meant the 80Mb internal storage of the Communicator

Old 06-11-2006, 07:05 AM

WST is on a distinguished road
Here's something I wasn't paying attention to when I tried Hotspot Finder (I've just played with it and checked my WIFI router signal)

It won't tell you if the discovered WIFI is WEP/WPA enabled!!! That's quite useless.

Take a look at this quick review:
http://www.i-symbian.com/forum/artic...ticle&artid=35

Old 06-11-2006, 09:28 AM

As always, thanks for the link.
Psiloc will not have my money, and I now know an effective way to find hotspot.
Have some Rep!