All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 03-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Pedal power - Nokia Bicycle Charger Kit

Nokia today announced a new charging accessories for its mobile phone - one that uses by pedal power. The Nokia Bicycle Charger kit, which is targeted at emerging markets, generates electricity via a dynamo connected to a bike wheel, which is fed into a charger that can connected to a phone via the standard 2mm charging port. The kit also includes a holder to secure the phone to the bike; it will be available in selected retailers before the end of the year.

Read on in the full article.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Unregistered

Charging the phone with pedal power is a great idea. Attaching the phone to your bike isn't. I tried that for a while (so that I could see where I was and which way to go, i.e. by having maps running). It was ok until I went over a bump and the phone went flying. I'll never attach my phone to a bicycle again!

Old 03-06-2010, 11:23 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
What if I attach this to my motorbike? Would be great to keep the GPS running while on a long bike trip. Will ensure no battery drain.

I just hope the faster speeds of a motorbike dont overload / damage the dynamo.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It was ok until I went over a bump and the phone went flying. I'll never attach my phone to a bicycle again!
You already have it?? If you are referring to some other bike holder, I hope the Nokia one is firm. Atleast it looks firm in the snaps.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Unregistered

I'm talking about some other holder. I thought it held onto my phone well enough. It didn't. I was lucky and my phone survived, but I'm not willing to try doing it again.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:41 AM

Insane Reindeer is on a distinguished road
I am saying right now, I want this. But even I can see that the weather is going to prove an issue. It rains at some point, pretty much anywhere this will be sold. It some places considerable more than others. Yes, obviously you can use another means of charging or you can take it off the bike if it starts when you are riding, and no I am not demanding that Nokia water proof every handset they make. But if someone could look at some sort of basic case/cover as part of this kit I would be even more impressed. For the record I will most likely make a "case" out of a good quality plastic zip lock bag with appropriate hole made and a tight seal made around it and the cable. Then leave the bag attached to the holder some how and just slide my phone in and out of the bag/holder as when.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:06 PM

gazza_d is on a distinguished road
This is a great idea. although I would like to see the three bits sold seperately, as I would like a decent trusted holder for my phone when using sports tracker, as oppused to anything I have tried so far. I usually just end up dumping the phone in a bag.

I would also like to see the electronic charger bit (between the phone and the dynamo) sold seperately so it could be used with different power sources such as rechargeable light sets, and different dynamos. the one shown in the photos is about as basic as you can get.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:44 PM

Hih is on a distinguished road
Top story! Awesome! AAN strikes again!
Ads

Old 03-06-2010, 12:58 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by malerocks View Post
What if I attach this to my motorbike? Would be great to keep the GPS running while on a long bike trip. Will ensure no battery drain.
You already have a electrical source then. Probably 12 volt. Be dead easy to plumb in a electric supply for the phone (don't forget the inline fuse!)

Old 03-06-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKJeeper View Post
You already have a electrical source then. Probably 12 volt. Be dead easy to plumb in a electric supply for the phone (don't forget the inline fuse!)
Well mobike batteries are not usually equipped to run anything electrical apart from the bike's accessories (atleast mine is not). I would prefer not to additionally load it with the task of charging a phone as well.

This will charge the phone without any hassles to the battery.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Unregistered

there is no free lunch

malerocks, you're mistaken about a few things.

First, you are looking at the wrong source for your bike's electrical power. You need to look at the bike's alternator output for additional power. Not the battery.
most motorbikes have enough power to run things like lights, and recharge the battery. an additional load of 5W or so to charge your phone is going to be something most bike's alternator can handle. Especially if it isn't a constant load that you are going to be running all the time.

Think of it this way. A turn signal lamp is 2A at 12V, or 24watts. It isn't on all the time. the bike is designed to put out enough power to handle that load of a intermittent lamp. The battery is there to take up the load that the alternator can't handle from either 1) too low of RPM or 2) intermittent spikes.

Given most bikes are built to put out extra power, you shouldn't worry too much. Just check the values and see how much slack there is in the system. You are making a overly general statement against motorbikes.

Second, a dynamo is going to be a load on your motor. the energy to power your phone has to come from somewhere. A dynamo and an alternator is essentially the same thing; you might as well use the more efficient one that you have on the bike already. Just adding a dynamo doesn't make power come from no where, there is no free lunch in energy conversion.

Third, the dynamo isn't designed to be used on a motorbike. You'll likely destroy it by overvolting the regulator. not a good idea.

If need be, you can create extra power by replacing lights with lower power LEDs. these will reduce overall powerload, usually freeing up a few extra watts. enough to charge a phone for sure.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by malerocks View Post
Well mobike batteries are not usually equipped to run anything electrical apart from the bike's accessories (atleast mine is not). I would prefer not to additionally load it with the task of charging a phone as well.

This will charge the phone without any hassles to the battery.

I've been charging phones directly from the 12v battery on many different motorcycles and for many years. The current draw is negligable. If your battery is good charging from the bike even without the engine running does no harm to your battery. All you need to do as stated earlier is wire in a power supply with an inline fuse.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 AM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hih View Post
Top story! Awesome! AAN strikes again!
And your point is.....?

Last edited by buster; 04-06-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Unregistered

Probably something about how this is unrelated to Symbian, but is a Nokia product, hence AAS is a Nokia fanboy site with a wrong name...?

My advice : Disregard the nonsense of a fool.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Unregistered

Lightbulb get a pouch, then.

Hmmm. I don't think a phone pinging off once should warrant giving up on it?! Why not get one of those zip up pouchy things and feed the charger into that and then attach it.

Some people give up too easily! It's potentially a great way to charge - peddle power!!