All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 03-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
How to: Power up a Nokia E61i to (near) Nseries status

So you've a messaging-focussed Nokia E61i smartphone and you keep eyeing up the models in the rival Nseries? Is it possible to have the best of both worlds? To whet your appetite for MWC, at which I hope that at least one crossover device will be launched, here's my guide to (nearly) turning your E61i into an Nseries powerhouse. Qwerty and media? No problem.

Read on in the full article.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:29 PM

sandwiches is on a distinguished road
Good article! I've actually done most of these things already. However, I do switch my E61i off at night to save battery power. I don't see any problem doing this. Fine, it has to boot up in the morning but why is that a major problem?

Old 03-02-2008, 08:00 PM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi Steve,

Nice article but i am don't really understand why you are surprised that the N series sells more devcies than E series. Buisness take up of smart phones must be virtually at saturation point if not there already, IMO all the growth we will see will be Multimedia led in smart phones and this is why the N series sells and will continue to sell more devices than the E series.

Personally i have stopped my hunt for the ultimate converged devcie which is why i carry an iPod for my Music and a E series for my smart phone needs be it an E90 that does everything a N series does and better except for the Muisc Player hence the iPod which by the way in MO is better than any smart phones built in Muisc Player as well.

Marc

Old 03-02-2008, 08:57 PM

icebox is on a distinguished road
Same going for e61

I did almost everything you said here with my E61. Working fine... It's going to be the phone I'll keep the most ever...

Old 03-02-2008, 09:30 PM

epo.fm is on a distinguished road
>Steer clear of push email... If you want most of the benefits of push without the hassle or processor hit, just set Messaging to auto-retrieve emails in the background (every 30 minutes, between the hours you specify).

I'd really like too but if I set email to do this, the GPRS connection doesn't quit after the periodic retrieval. As my email provider (fastmail.fm) uses push email, it means I get emails all the time the connection remains active.

Anyone know how to get mail to actual close the connection?
(Strange, as it does close the connection if I manually disconnect from the mailbox).

Old 04-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Mark Guim

Thumbs up

Great post steve! Looking forward to see what's being announced next week.
Ads

Old 04-02-2008, 02:37 AM
ex-e61i

i jus sold my 7months old e61i...

although i loved my e61i but the slowness of the device (menu, gallery, msg,etc) really bug me like crazy...example, when u open messages (even with hardly any msgs stored), you have to look somewhere else for few seconds then look back at the screen, or worst when you open gallery, i takes ages!

believe me, i've tried ALL form of optimization methods (including those mentioned in this article), i even went as far as resizing all my gallery pics to 320x240pixels, deleting all msgs in inbox, barebone theme w/o wallpaper, hard reset every once awhile, etc, etc.

but, i had enough.

i jus bought n82 for USD420, and the diff is amazing, the snappiness of n82, the killer camera, the quality of the pictures, the DVD movie recording, all the goodies of Nseries, the smaller but 'crispier' screen (weird, i know), the You-can-open-70apps-at-the-same-time-without-any-problem size of memory..i don't see any good reason why we should deprive ourselves from this goodness with little bit of extra money and sticking with a snail-paced and underpowered e61i...

Old 04-02-2008, 08:13 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by epo.fm View Post
I'd really like too but if I set email to do this, the GPRS connection doesn't quit after the periodic retrieval. As my email provider (fastmail.fm) uses push email, it means I get emails all the time the connection remains active.

(Strange, as it does close the connection if I manually disconnect from the mailbox).
What push email app are you using? I am using mail for exchange and have set it to retrieve emails every 1 hour (frequent enough for me). It always closes the connection after the retrival. The only occassion where it does not disconnect automatically is when I am in a low signal area and the connection is not working at an optimum level.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:56 AM

plwh888 is on a distinguished road
What I really want in my E Series is to have Lifeblog .

Anyway to get Lifeblog in the E Series ???

Old 04-02-2008, 09:15 AM

epo.fm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by epo.fm View Post
>Steer clear of push email... If you want most of the benefits of push without the hassle or processor hit, just set Messaging to auto-retrieve emails in the background (every 30 minutes, between the hours you specify).

Quote:
Originally Posted by malerocks View Post
What push email app are you using? I am using mail for exchange and have set it to retrieve emails every 1 hour (frequent enough for me). It always closes the connection after the retrival. The only occassion where it does not disconnect automatically is when I am in a low signal area and the connection is not working at an optimum level.
Hi,

I'm just using the built in Nokia email app.

I have a personal loathing of installing microsoft apps (which I really should get over). Although I think I'd miss the intergration of the built in client with the flashing LED & standby screen etc.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Unregistered

Great post!

Great post, knew just the buddy to mail it to!

snoyt

Old 04-02-2008, 02:41 PM

James Burland is on a distinguished road
Superb article... I've also liked the physical design of the Eseries, but the disparity in software between it and the Nseries annoyed me, but as you said, these apps certainly help bridge that gap.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:36 PM

steverobbo is on a distinguished road
I upgraded from the E61 to an N95.

Needless to say, i didn't sell the E61 and still use it where the larger screen and querty keyboard come in handy - just unlocked it and put a payg sim in.

I was planning to sell the E61, but couldn't part with it and the additional usability thet the N series seems to miss slightly.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:27 PM

elp is on a distinguished road
I certainly wouldn't recommend using the built-in email S60 application to any non-technical person. It's just far to flaky and unreliable. As much as I dislike Java application, Google Mail Mobile is definitely the way to go for any non-technical person who want to access their emails on the go. It doesn't have an automatic retrieval feature but at least it's dead simple to use and it works flawlessly. In practice it's also much faster than the built-in email client, which takes ages to do just about anything despite being a native application.

Being one of these technical person, I decided to try out Messaging on my E90 and set it up for my 2 GMail account via IMAP4 with auto-retrieval every 5 minutes between 9am and 6pm. It's just an endless stream of problems.

For a start, Messaging usually displays HTML emails as garbage. No matter what you opinion is about HMTL emails (and I certainly despise them), they there and they're here to stay. The only way to get these emails to display properly is to select "Attachment.html" and open it in the web browser. Sure, it's more of an annoyance than a real problem, but it's hardly the most practical, intuitive and user-friendly feature.

Problems start to arise with the auto-retrieval feature. Every-time Messaging fails to connect to the email server (which obviously is not a rare occurrence as mobile networks are inherently unreliable), it will purely and simply disable auto-retrieval for you. So you think that your phone is checking your emails every 5 minutes and that it will alert you whenever you get a new email when in fact your phone is sitting idle doing absolutely nothing. The only way to solve the problem is to open your inbox, go to the email settings, go the auto-retrieval setting, re-enable auto-retrieval and exit. In practice, I'm doing this 2 to 3 times a day.

The biggest problem though is that sometimes Messaging simply gets stuck and stops updating your inbox without telling you anything. This has started to happen after a few weeks of automatic retrieval and is almost a daily occurrence now. You get back home at night thinking that you've had no emails during the day only to realize when you switch on your PC that you actually received 15 emails. Messaging appears to be still connected but won't download any new email. Selecting Options->Disconnect has no effect. Killing the GPRS connection has no effect either. The only way to get Messaging to work again is to either reboot the phone or go the email settings which forces the connection to close and then re-connect. A bit of a joke for a 600 business device.

And of course, as soon as you've got a few hundred of emails in your inbox, which happens fairly quickly, Messaging starts to choke and takes ages to update the inbox. Even if there's only one new header to download, it can take several minutes (yes, minutes!) for Messaging to update your inbox no matter whether you're connected via 3G or Wifi. Clearly, they never tested this application with more than of couple of emails.

On my E61, after having accumulated a few hundred of SMS and email (can't remember the exact number), Messaging refused to launch at all. It would constantly crash with an out-of-memory error when trying to display the inbox. I managed the salvage the situation by rebooting the phone to free as much RAM as possible, starting Messaging and deleting everything (it took a few attempts but luckily it worked at the end). Else, I would have had no other option than a re-format and at least half a day wasted to re-install and re-configure everything.

That's how good Messaging is. Do not give this to newbies or they'll run away from S60 as soon as they can.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:44 PM

bills2north is on a distinguished road
Pimp my E

Nice article!

I feel N's get a little too much hype. People trade N93's for N95's, then those for N95 8Gb? For the money that ain't much different!

Remember when good engineering was cramming 2 cassettes onto a Commador 64???
Well, I like articles like this which stretches the value of good smartphones.

Good job, Steve!