All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 PM

krraank is on a distinguished road
Question C7 Offline in Power Saver Mode

Hello all. I've searched but did not find any discussion for this. So, I ask...
I have a C7 and N8 - both upgraded to Belle. Now, they go offline when I activate power saver mode. Is there any solution to this problem?
Also, is this situation related to Cell Info Display? I don't think we have that service in Canada.
Note: The service I use is on the AWS (UMTS/3G) network. Roaming is on a GSM/2G network.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:36 PM

smcmanus is on a distinguished road
I think you probaly are using Bell Canada, and they don't have GPRS or GSM just 3G +.
Probably not accepting a 3rd party GPRS signal. I would check your roaming settings.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmanus View Post
I think you probaly are using Bell Canada, and they don't have GPRS or GSM just 3G +.
Probably not accepting a 3rd party GPRS signal. I would check your roaming settings.
Hi. Thanks for your input.
Actually, I'm using Wind. Their primary network is 3G and they roam on Rogers' 2G (GSM)
Ads

Old 10-03-2012, 03:19 PM

smcmanus is on a distinguished road
i'm not sure the inner workings of the modes. I am thinking that powersaving mode does not allow roaming. I would be nice to have a guru that knows more. it would be a good test if the phone is unlocked to pop in a rogers sim and see if it stays connected in powersaving mode.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmanus View Post
i'm not sure the inner workings of the modes. I am thinking that powersaving mode does not allow roaming. I would be nice to have a guru that knows more. it would be a good test if the phone is unlocked to pop in a rogers sim and see if it stays connected in powersaving mode.
Oddly enough, I'm no longer in close contact with anyone using Rogers or Fido who could try their SIM in my C7. Those with whom I currently associate with either have an iPhone or use Bell. Such a dilemma because I would really like to test a Rogers/Fido (Chatr?) SIM in my phone to see what happens.
I do know of someone (in Calgary) who uses a Nokia N8 on Rogers which was upgraded to Belle. When he activates power saver his stays connected. So, the problem I'm facing does seem to have something to do with the handset switching from 3G to GSM.
I wonder..... Do most European cellphone service providers mainly operate on a 3G network?