All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-04-2005, 09:11 PM

safrane is on a distinguished road
Please help, Now screen stopped working

Hi all,
I haven't been using my X after the usual mic problem for the last 3 weeks, I missed it and returned to it but a surprise was waiting for me,I turned on the phone as usual, entered the pin code, closed my ears until the start up "noise" plays, and whoa, no Now screen. It was just the wallpaper of the selected theme. Some people were trying to get rid of these panes but thats no good for me, because in the first place, I use the panes and the lack of panes causes problems. Soft keys don't work (left softkey is options, there is insert pane, insert favorites, help, none of them works, right softkey is contacts in me, it doesn't work either.) and the lock keypad combination (L.softkey, *) don't work. I have to press the power button, scroll to the bottom and lock the keypad :( I browsed through the C drive, system folder; when I try to enter the Now folder, it says corrupted and opens an empty folder. Can anyone help me by advising something or sending their Now folder contents?

Thanks for all replies,
Cagri

Old 01-04-2005, 09:49 PM

trimakassi is on a distinguished road
How did you try to browse? By FExplorer on the phone itself or did you use pc connect? And what did you already try? Switching the phone off and on again/hard reset/...

Old 01-04-2005, 10:03 PM

ermete3smegisto is on a distinguished road
I know, that's a problem for you but a great choice to know something more about Now!. So the directory c:\system\apps\Now is corrupted? You can try to format the phone or reflash... got the same problem (with c:\system) on a 3650 few months ago and I'have reflashed it (in a nokia point).

I've a question for you. What about free RAM without Now! interface?

Old 01-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
The usual trick for when Now! gets corrupted is to delete it's ini file, however, if your whole Now folder on the C: partition is corrupted, then I think the only thing you can realistically do is to format the phone. (you should still be able to do a backup to memory card first, as this won't backup any Now! folder info)

Turn the phone off, then as you turn it on, hold down the 5 key. This should fix your problem! (of course, feel free to restore your backup after the format)

Old 10-04-2005, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermete3smegisto
I know, that's a problem for you but a great choice to know something more about Now!. So the directory c:\system\apps\Now is corrupted? You can try to format the phone or reflash... got the same problem (with c:\system) on a 3650 few months ago and I'have reflashed it (in a nokia point).

I've a question for you. What about free RAM without Now! interface?

where do I look for the free ram?

I browsed through FExplorer and handy-file.

The phone is still functioning, the only disadvantage is the hard procedure to lock the keypad.

To be honest I don't want to reflash because I'm afraid of something. After purchasing X, I synchronized it with my outlook full of my contacts from my 6600, all the names were listed Surname Name after sync, in X. I edited most of the names and I'm afraid of resynchronizing X with outlook, I have the fear of seeing all the contacts again Surname Name in the phone or seeing that my all contacts are duplicated as one copy of Surname Name, one copy of Name Surname in both outlook and X. So without resyncing, I can't reflash, I have more than 400 contacts, I don't want to enter them one by one manually.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:17 AM

ermete3smegisto is on a distinguished road
You can use AppMan or Switcher for the ram and I suggest you an utility for backup / copy the contacts called Contact transfer. Look here:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...icle.php?id=67

Old 11-04-2005, 11:44 AM

Masamune is on a distinguished road
To check the amount of RAM being used, look under extras -> About and flip right a couple of pages. There is a display showing the total amount of memory being used. An app called Taskspy works quite well - it can show what apps are currently using RAM.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:14 PM

I updated the phone with the newer software, nothing changed, contacts still there, calendar entries still there, messages still there but still no now screen.

But while I was writing this reply, I tried restarting while pressing button 5, I have my lovely Now screen back )) Thanxxx stuclark

I tried to backup the phone from the pc connect software, I got a message like can not determine the differences between pc and phone, I just had the chance to sync it with outlook :( All my sms's from my girlfriend that I kept in the phone flied away :( Tried to copy the mail folder, but pc connect just copies files, not folders :(
Ads

Old 12-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
PC Connect occasionally does this - it's not the best thing to use to backup the phone, but if you do use it, deselect the E: drive on the phone (the memory card) - this makes it much more reliable.

You should always back your phone up to the memory card, as this keeps all your texts, contacts, everything.

Remember there's a difference between syncing the phone to Outlook (what you described) and actually backing up the phone's configuration.