All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Folks, think you might like this

Super smooth Pinch and Zoom in Ovi Maps demoed in Nokia N8 Truck in Hamburg, Maps beta V3.05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gTbCBigGWE
Good that it can show what the N8 can do but ideally zoom on a nav device should be a one handed action.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:55 AM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Good that it can show what the N8 can do but ideally zoom on a nav device should be a one handed action.
It is a one-handed action. Last time I checked, there are multiple fingers plus a thumb on most hands with which you can pinch zoom.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:57 AM
Unregistered

hope Nokia update map for indonesian..

Old 01-09-2010, 03:17 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
uh ..

Quote:
last time I checked I could pinch with one hand..

1. choose a finger
2. move to oppose thumb

optional 3. repeat

Old 01-09-2010, 05:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
It is a one-handed action. Last time I checked, there are multiple fingers plus a thumb on most hands with which you can pinch zoom.
OK but for those of us with opposable thumbs, where is the phone whilst you are using multiple fingers on one of your hands?

Old 01-09-2010, 05:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by seki View Post
last time I checked I could pinch with one hand..

1. choose a finger
2. move to oppose thumb

optional 3. repeat

Right then. So you hold the phone in one hand, and complete the above procedure with the other.

Carefully count the number of hands involved.

Be careful not to miscount, I can see from your post that you can count at least to 3, so if you try really hard you can keep up.

Now, imagine you are out on foot in a large crowded city using your phone to navigate, in one hand you have a heavy item, or are holding the hand of a small child. On the other you are trying to zoom the map. What would be easier, pinch zoom or just placing the tip of your thumb briefly on a + or - icon?

Old 01-09-2010, 05:49 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Guys, I think what our unregistered friend means is that with pinch and zoom you have to hold the phone in one hand and use the finger and thumb of the other to pinch. He wants it in a way where he holds the phone in one hand and uses the thumb of the same hand to zoom in or out. That ways the other hand is free for whatever he wants to use it for. LOL...

Old 01-09-2010, 05:50 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichholz View Post
hey folks!

if you use an n97 please dont start ovi maps before you deactivated the wlan option! if you dont do you will everytime reboot your device ;-)
The error still exists?? I though this update might have fixed it. Sad...

Old 01-09-2010, 06:09 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My N86 always keeps the GPS on whenever i close the maps application after using it.
Any solution??
This latest minor update fixes this issue on my N86.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy megasponsor

where is the update for: Nokia 6110 Navigator

Old 01-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Updated my E72 via 3G Vodafone Romania. All Ok with the "new" maps app.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Oh dear. Isn't the answer obvious? Look at the video. There are still the '+' and '-' buttons for one handed zoom, if the phone is mounted in a cradle on your car dash board for example (and panning in that situation is still one handed anyway).

Last edited by UKJeeper; 01-09-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Flaming

Old 01-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Ovi suite user

Ovi suite fools me with a dialling sound

I let Ovi suite synch in the background and then I heard a dialling sound. I panicked thinking that it was doing the desktop equivalent of a pocket call. Is this a new feature? If so, I don't like it.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:20 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovi suite user View Post
I let Ovi suite synch in the background and then I heard a dialling sound. I panicked thinking that it was doing the desktop equivalent of a pocket call. Is this a new feature? If so, I don't like it.

Were you also surfing? There are some really annoying banner ads around that make a dialing sound recently. Doubt its Ovi Suite.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:23 PM

darkjeric is on a distinguished road
Same problem here, I can't even install the update on my N97. Apparantly, I don't have sufficient memory. The update is about 9Mb and I figure it has to install over the old Ovi Maps, so it shouldn't even take up an extra 9Mb. Seeing that my C:-drive has about 18Mb free, why am I getting the 'Out of memory' error?

Nokia had better release a very good v30 firmware for this thing, or my long love for Symbian will be forfeit with my next phone purchase...