All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 17-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Interviewing Damian Dinning on the N8 and its media capture superiority

As part of the invitation to spend a morning with the Nokia N8 (ok, quite a lot of N8s - in various colours and states of readiness) on Monday, I grabbed Damian Dinning, Nokia's imaging supremo, to chat about the device and specifically its media capture capabilities. See below for the video interview and accompanying notes - there are several interesting points which I hadn't appreciated before.

Read on in the full article.

Old 18-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Comments now fixed on this story, apologies for the original problems.

Old 18-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Ah - I was wondering why NOONE had commented!! 8-)

Old 18-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Unregistered

I'm beginning to see the N8 as primarily a media capture phone. Advanced (for a phone) still and video camera and sound recording along with onboard editing. Nothing else that has been revealed really stands out like those features.

The widgeting will also be very good, but the phone seems to be steered toward that media function.

Old 18-06-2010, 02:00 PM

miki69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
Comments now fixed on this story, apologies for the original problems.
Thanks Rafe

Can anyone tell me difference between Gorilla glass and reinforced one? What does mean "new AMOLED", anyone care to explain, in particular comparing to N86. How far pinch-to-zoom goes on image, 100% zoom, more? How much can you zoom-in that way?

Cheers,
Miki

Old 18-06-2010, 05:55 PM

comnut is on a distinguished road
miki69: know how to google???No seriously you should not need to ask...

My main question is about the capacitive screen...
Comments please, from those who wish to use this in environments where you are wearing gloves!!!!
Getting a call while you are 'washing up' , skiing, in medicine, etc....

Also accuracy of the touchscreen, for us guys who have 'thumbs for fingers!!!'

Last edited by comnut; 18-06-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Old 18-06-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comnut View Post
miki69: know how to google???No seriously you should not need to ask...
You should read my post first before commenting - Seriously!
Let me break it down for you: my question was what was the difference between AMOLED in N8 and AMOLED in N86, what's "new", is it some coating, different production technology....
Not what is AMOLED. I don't see how your post helps in any way, as typing AMOLED in Google search isn't what I've asked....

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited by miki69; 18-06-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Old 18-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Unregistered

nokia

The cameras on Nokia phones have been o.k ,an the N82 one of there best with the xenon flash,but Nokia let down the N86 camera mobile phone with the Small Screen an Weak Speakers on it,an also the buggy software on it,i had Three Nokia N86s in a week an all went faulty with the Keypad freezing an buggy software,Nokia as got to gets its Software more advanced before they can really get themselves back on Track,an seems so odd that a Top Mobile producer as lost it touch in the Top Smartphone market an did not take the Pressure from Apple more serious an now struggling itself

Old 18-06-2010, 08:45 PM

comnut is on a distinguished road
I WISH peeps would be more specific!!!! you ask about the basic screen technology, that has **nothing** to do with any way how it is attached, or enclosed (the same as asking 'how is RGB better in new TVs')..
The only way is to ask nokia, or wait until it is out..

Old 18-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The cameras on Nokia phones have been o.k ,an the N82 one of there best with the xenon flash,but Nokia let down the N86 camera mobile phone with the Small Screen an Weak Speakers on it,an also the buggy software on it,i had Three Nokia N86s in a week an all went faulty with the Keypad freezing an buggy software,Nokia as got to gets its Software more advanced before they can really get themselves back on Track,an seems so odd that a Top Mobile producer as lost it touch in the Top Smartphone market an did not take the Pressure from Apple more serious an now struggling itself
Well there's an original post. That's just what the internet needs, somebody with something new and different to say.
Ads

Old 18-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well I don't see N86 small screen as a weak point. It's pretty decent sized for such form factor, maybe they could've adopted 2.8"...
Speakers are quite weak, I have compared it to my old 6500 slide and it's definitely "thinner" sound.
As for software, since OCT 2009 I've had only 2 freezes, so pretty good to me...of course there are some serious issues with auto-rotation (like phone being unresponsive for few secs), but overall performance is quite satisfying, at least my unit.

@comnut: my question was directed to those who actually have device and know about it (like Damian, Rafe maybe..). Didn't get that "peeps" part though....

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited by miki69; 18-06-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Old 19-06-2010, 12:03 AM

DamianDinning is on a distinguished road
A few answers

Let's try and cover a few of these.

Display, it's much brighter than the display in N86, what else do you want/need to know? You'll need to try it for yourself to better understand this, no degree of explanation on my part can articulate the actual performance.

Re 2.8" display in N86, would have made it larger, wider and longer. We wanted to keep the compact size of the N86.

Same challenges with speakers. They're the sam as used in many Nseries handsets, but the cavity (air space) that the speaker driver sits in has the biggest effect. The more air space you provide the bigger the device, simple as that. As said we wanted to maintain the compact dimensions and therefore this was a trade-off. In the N8 we use a larger more powerful speaker but a single unit. It's also driven by a mini power amplifier to get the most we can from it in the space available.

Re inch to zoom. To clarify, in the camera the pinch gesture is used to switch between 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios in stills and in video it's used to switch between 16:9 720p HD video and 4:3 VGA video.

There is a double tap gesture to allow you to rapidly zoom from one end of the zoom range to the other. Pinch to zoom is used when viewing photos in the photos application.

atb

D

Old 19-06-2010, 12:36 AM

Thanks Damian, I was referring to your previous comment about N8 screen being more suitable for outdoor use comparing to N86, so my question was if there are some other imrpovements (eg. Super Amoled) or simple "brighter" settings makes it better for outdoor use..

Also about front cover (glass) is it same as in N86, reinforced/scratch resistant one? Don't know the difference to Gorilla glass.

Re pinch zoom, thanks for clarifying this

EDIT:

Outdoor use is definitely better with N8, but (at least in this particular image) Samsung screen looks better.

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited by miki69; 19-06-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Old 19-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Unregistered

Good work Miki!

Old 19-06-2010, 03:10 PM

N8 hands-on new (french):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuWVK...layer_embedded

at 4:10 phone becomes unresponsive for few secs

One can say not final SW yet, but looks kinda "already seen" before.

Cheers,
Miki