All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-09-2009, 02:04 PM

Nyxmorph is on a distinguished road
Opera Mini 5 Beta

has been released. And looks lovely.

http://www.opera.com/mini/next/

Edit : had to turn off inline editing in the advanced options to get the keyboard to work (although unfortunately text entry method is then the old way)

Last edited by Nyxmorph; 16-09-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Old 17-09-2009, 06:26 AM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
It is stunning

it has the UI that you want the N97 to have as standard
Ads

Old 17-09-2009, 07:20 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
This is first class!

Kinetic scrolling and no error messages - Brilliant.

It's got a proper swishy interface, much more like using an Iphone than the standard browser, and of course, with the added benefit of the fast page rendering. The low memory size pages also mean they move around the screen really smoothly. I just loaded the BBC website and it zips around beautifully.

Another great thing, when you press the back button (of which there is one!) you get the previous page immediately, not wait what so ever - brilliant!

My only problem with it is that, like the previous version, the font sizes are either too big, or too small. This is most obvious on m.facebook where 'Small' font looks a bit like it's been designed for people who are hard of sight, where as 'very small' is VERY SMALL and it makes clicking links hard.

Also, on the main BBC site, if the font is set to Small the layout is a bit wrong with things overlapping, so very small is really the only way to go IMO.

But overall, really really good. I agree with angiepea, this is what the standard app should have been like, and to be honest, its what the whole OS should have been like!

Old 17-09-2009, 08:04 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Just me having problems with it then!

Have had it installed for 24 hours and am on the verge of uninstalling it.

1. QWERTY keyboard, with my banana fingers, is hit and miss in portrait mode. Not too bad in landscape though.

2. Cannot seem to use the N97's physical keyboard with it. All I get is gobbledygook in the search bar. (OK, just read first posters amendment on this and under Advanced Settings I set Inline Editing to off. Now I have no onscreen keyboard in Portrait or landscape and have to enter text the same way as the built-in browser)

3. Using the Google search feature and entering something simple like "rhubarb" + Search and it just sits there.

4. Tried entering a web address "www.google.com" + Go and again it just sits there.

5. I know it's a beta version but when I do get a search to display the Google box displays "Sok" instead of "Search".

Am willing to admit that it's probably down to me and only one coffee so far.

Last edited by ironass; 17-09-2009 at 08:23 AM. Reason: update

Old 17-09-2009, 08:27 AM

Nyxmorph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post

Have had it installed for 24 hours and am on the verge of uninstalling it.

1. QWERTY keyboard, with my banana fingers, is hit and miss in portrait mode. Not too bad in landscape though.

2. Cannot seem to use the N97's physical keyboard with it. All I get is gobbledygook in the search bar. (OK, just read first posters amendment on this and under Advanced Settings I set Inline Editing to off. Now I have no onscreen keyboard in Portrait or landscape and have to enter text the same way as the built-in browser)

3. Using the Google search feature and entering something simple like "rhubarb" + Search and it just sits there.

4. Tried entering a web address "www.google.com" + Go and again it just sits there.

5. I know it's a beta version but when I do get a search to display the Google box displays "Sok" instead of "Search".

Am willing to admit that it's probably down to me and only one coffee so far.
Hiya ian-ross,

1 + 2, As I mentioned at the top - you need to switch off 'inline editing'. Its an option in the advanced menu. Then text entry works as it did in Opera Mini 4, and you get to use your phones physical keyboard. They have even recommended this with the beta on the opera mini forum.

3 + 4 sounds like your default destinaion is not set up properly and your not getting proper internet access. This is all working fine on mine.

5. The betas default language isn't english for transmitting to web sites. I think its Scandinavian (how you spell that lol).

Hope this helps! I will admit Im back to using Opera Mini 4 again for now, as its definately still quicker. Annoying, on an E71 (is it an E71 the one with the full portrait keyboard) one of the guys at work has, he has an extra button on his shortcuts at the bottom to go instantly to the 9 speed dials page.

Old 17-09-2009, 08:56 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Thanks Nyxmorph.

1 + 2. Read your post and did as you suggested. Obviosly you lose the onscreen keyboard.

3 + 4. My internet connection (wifi at home as first choice in Destinations) is working fine with the built-in browser and widgets so I don't think that's the problem.

5. Point taken.

May wait awhile until beta 5 is a little more developed.

Very "pretty" UI though.

Old 17-09-2009, 09:39 AM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
much better then the original Opera, i didnt see much point in using it over the standard browser. This is a much nicer UI, the Always allow was a welcome extra!

Mine does seem to hang every now and again though, but usually if the page hasnt loaded in ten seconds i just click again and then it goes through, imagine it'll be fixed along the way

Old 17-09-2009, 10:46 AM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyyb View Post
much better then the original Opera, i didnt see much point in using it over the standard browser. This is a much nicer UI, the Always allow was a welcome extra!

Mine does seem to hang every now and again though, but usually if the page hasnt loaded in ten seconds i just click again and then it goes through, imagine it'll be fixed along the way
It's the first public beta version, so there will be some bugs (like it freezing up when you click on a phone number in a webpage) (scrolling goes abit weird sometimes aswel) but it's mostly all good.

Future beta versions should make it better.

Old 17-09-2009, 11:14 AM

Seft is on a distinguished road
My hardware keyboard works just fine with inline editing on.

D-pad doesn't work though

Old 17-09-2009, 11:28 AM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
Looks quite nice, and rather bizarrely I've not installed Opera mobile before...

Added the link to my site for covenience...

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 17-09-2009, 12:22 PM

lastdance is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seft View Post
My hardware keyboard works just fine with inline editing on.

D-pad doesn't work though
How do you do that?

Old 17-09-2009, 01:44 PM

andonevris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post

I was having this problem, I switched the protocol from socket to http and seems oK now. (In advanced settings)

Old 17-09-2009, 02:46 PM

Seft is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdance View Post
How do you do that?
No idea. I used a signed copy of OM5, if that makes a difference. Here's the JAD I used:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/9/16/2577171/mini.jad

My settings are:

Load images: On
Image quality: Medium
Mobiel view: Off
Full screen: On
Landscape: Off
Font size: Very small

Advanced

Pop-ups: Only clicked
Protocol: Socket
Inline Editing: On
NavBar always visible: Off

Old 23-09-2009, 08:41 AM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
After raving about this app, I now have to say that I'm finding it very buggy - like others have said, it just hangs a lot of the time.

I have a feeling though that its not Opera that's the problem but the N97 - My mate installed it on his 5800 and its works fine.

Hopefully Version 2 of the N97 firmware will sort the problems out.

Old 23-09-2009, 08:48 AM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
the first time i downloaded it, it was via my pc and i agree, there was a lot of hanging around - i decided to uninstall it and reload it straight to the phone from their website (also i think it had been updated again inbetween times) anyway, no problems now and it's real zippy